London 2012 Summer Olympics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like we're going to score another silver in the 49er class sailing too; apparently all we need to do is show up for the final race and it's ours. Unfortunately, I think our moment in the sun is over - the Aussies just need to show up and they get the 49er class gold

It's the same tomorrow for the Dutch in the RS:X class (windsurfing). The Dutch guy is so far ahead that he only needs to show up for the 'medal race' to win the gold. And he had already skipped the last (10th) race, so not to be a hindrance for those behind him in determining their positions. :ohmy:
Should be a fun race for him :)

USA vs Canada in women's soccer....EPIC. Best game of any sport of the Olympics, as Doc Rivers put it. And he went to Federer/Del Potro.

I do feel bad for Canada, but oh well.

Tom Slingsby wins our second gold! Shame he's not a swimmer.

Axver said:
Shame still very little is scored. :wink: Aussie Rules is onto a winner by having a goal far too big for a goalie to defend.

With ya on this one. That's why handball is my new favourite sport. It's fucking sick.

Honest answer? Jim Dolan.

He was afraid that a stadium n the west side of Manhattan would steal business from Madison Square Garden. So he spent millions of dollars protesting the stadium, eventually torpedoing the entire thing. The backup plan was to build the Olympic Stadium in Queens. Didn't have quite the same allure to it, and they had to rush the plan together. So New York looked unprepared... and London won.

So thanks to Jim Dolan's protests...

- there is no West Side Stadium
- New York didn't get the Olympics
- the Jets had to go back to being stadium partners with the Giants
- the original plan for a retro style brick stadium for the Giants was scrapped in favor of the generic monstrosity you see today
- the real estate development of the west aide yards in Manhattan and the Willets Point section of Queens stalled, and to date has yet to see a shovel in the ground
- the Knicks still suck

saw this article yesterday. was going to post it, but i was too busy posting kolocova pictures :drool:

Hudson Yards: NY's urban town within a city - Yahoo! Finance

USA vs Canada in women's soccer....EPIC. Best game of any sport of the Olympics, as Doc Rivers put it. And he went to Federer/Del Potro.

I do feel bad for Canada, but oh well.

Great game, but the ref handed it to the Americans.

reg_1024.James.8512_copy.jpg
Kirani James (the guy who asked Pistorius to trade bibs) was amazing in that final (400m). Only 19 years old, a full-time college student alongside his training, and he came in under 44 seconds...if he can avoid the temptation to try too much too soon, he's probably got a phenomenal career ahead of him. Grenada's first Olympic medal ever, too.

I felt really sorry for the women's pole vaulters, medalists included--those weather conditions were dreadful, and none of them were able to get anywhere close to showing what they're capable of. Even so, I really enjoyed watching Yarisley Silva (Cuba), who took the silver; so compact and graceful.

Looking forward to the women's 100m hurdles tomorrow--very very competitive field, with the Aussie (Pearson) a narrow favorite. She looked great in the heats.

Replay of the World Cup Final should be good. Japan vs USA was a ripper match in 2011.

Alex Morgan is all sorts of sexy too.

Looking forward to the Mountain Biking, happening on the weekend too.

Where's Vlad? He should be crowing that Belarus is now ahead of New Zealand on the medal tally after our showdown in the women's shotput went his way! Shame that Valerie Adams couldn't quite defend her 2008 gold, but it sounds like she put in a massive effort and silver's nothing to sneeze at.

I heard of the news and told my dad who said 'WHERE DID THE NZ WOMAN FINISH SHE WAS THE FAVOURITE'. :lol:

We're now only one off our Beijing gold medal tally, not bad. Then again we won 19 medals last time. And we're still ahead of Australia.

We're now only one off our Beijing gold medal tally, not bad. Then again we won 19 medals last time. And we're still ahead of Australia.

Alas, I fear both of our countries will be passed soon by Australia, with their 49ers guaranteed gold and Sally Pearson likely to score another.

Don't know about your mob, but I'm not sure New Zealand has any sure gold medal chances left. We could win gold in both the men's and women's BMX, but that's such an unpredictable event that we could crash out of the medals entirely. I'm just hoping they can both medal, and that maybe Nick Willis in the 1500m or one of our triathletes can sneak into the medals. Willis was 2008's silver medalist, but it's been a long, long time since New Zealand won a gold on the track in any distance - 1976, to be precise.

We've got about 3 entries into the finals of the canoeing/kayaking etc events, so we're a decent chance there. I'm not really sure what other events are yet to come.

We've got about 3 entries into the finals of the canoeing/kayaking etc events, so we're a decent chance there. I'm not really sure what other events are yet to come.

Oh yeah, I think we've got some medal chances in the canoe and kayak events too. This time we're not going to let any Belarussians get ahead of us. :wink:

i'm not sure what's worse: Aussie commentators beating down silver medalists to their face, or Aussie commentators desperately trying to eke an inspirational soundbite out of a gold medalist who's not a very eloquent interviewee and obviously a bit worse for wear after a big night's celebrating.

anybody head over to google yet?

tried to get my edwin moses on, damn near broke my wrist

it's been a long, long time since New Zealand won a gold on the track in any distance - 1976, to be precise.

I know who that was and I remember watching that race. :)

That delay of game call on the Canadian goalie was so pathetic.

Agree, however apprently she was warned at halftime to stop doing it because she had been doing it throughout the game, and in her mind it wasn't an "official" warning, so she didn't heed the warning, and continued to break the rule...so while its a call you never expect to see, its on her as she was warned by officials prior.

Agree, however apprently she was warned at halftime to stop doing it because she had been doing it throughout the game, and in her mind it wasn't an "official" warning, so she didn't heed the warning, and continued to break the rule...so while its a call you never expect to see, its on her as she was warned by officials prior.

Be that as it may, why award a free kick just outside the box? Why not hand out a yellow card instead?

Important to remember the calls had nothing to do with the girls on the American team though, so best of luck to them.

Fuck that ref though

What a game in the women's volleyball quarterfinals between Brazil (current Olympic champion) and Russia (current world champion). If that doesn't make you enjoy volley, then the sport is definitely not for you.

okay, so it may just be that complete and utter sleep deprivation has rendered me more senseless than usual but (big fat cycling spoiler)

watching Anna Meares win her sprint final live was absolutely f*cking brilliant ~ I am still in tears and just so so happy for her :loveshower:

Canada's Alexandre Despatie finishes 7th in the 3 metre springboard in his final Olympic diving competition. He came back two months after sustaining a concussion following an accident in which he hit his head off the board during a practice dive.

Very proud of you, Alex. :up:

Back
Top Bottom