London 2012 Summer Olympics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just watched the 100m final. Holy shit, that was incredible.

Incredible that the performances were not drug assisted? Seven athletes under 10 seconds, and I am informed that human growth hormone cannot be reliably detected at this time.

Yep, incredible is the word.

Irish swimmer Barry Murphy has spoken of his frustration at competing at the Olympics against swimmers he believes are taking performance-enhancing drugs.

In a week when the achievements of 16-year-old Chinese double gold medallist Ye Shiwen were questioned, Murphy called on swimming authorities to follow the lead of cycling and introduce biological passports. "There are certain things going on in the sport and you can almost go into the locker room back there and point out who is doing it," Murphy said after his elimination from the 50m freestyle last week. "Just by their physique, and the way a swimmer races, you can tell who's at it."

Murphy said the introduction of biological passports "has to be done". Last week, FINA, the world swimming body, announced that they planned to introduce a pilot project using biological passports.

"There are guys who are in there, who are failing tests and they are not even getting suspensions, they are just getting warnings and that is a disgrace," Murphy said. "I have always pushed for a clean sport, I think it is essential. If you can't win anything cleanly, then it is not worth winning."

On Friday night, Brazilian Cesar Cielo took bronze in Murphy's event. Cielo, the world record holder, tested positive for a banned substance last year which is prohibited as it's often used as a masking agent.

FINA had challenged the decision of the Brazilian doping authorities only to give Cielo a warning, but the Court of Arbitration for Sport upheld the decision and stated that FINA accepted Cielo did not take the drug to enhance his performance. Cielo had insisted that he had taken the drug in a contaminated batch of a food supplement he took regularly and a pharmacy was blamed for the contamination. He won gold at the World Championships in Shanghai shortly after the positive test.

"Of course it is disheartening. There are guys who are going into the 50-free semis and final who have failed tests and they are still here," Murphy said. "People know who they are, so it is frustrating when you are trying to do it the right way. But it is not up to me or anyone else to tell those guys they shouldn't be here. It is up to WADA and FINA to catch them and implement the proper sanctions.

"I'm in the pool six hours a day, putting my heart and soul into this sport, trying to eat right, trying to live as healthy a life as possible and there are other guys who are just doing it the easy way. Everyone could do it the easy way if they want. But it's not like that, it can't be like that for our sport." Murphy still believed the good in swimming outweighed the bad.

"The negativity can be detrimental to the sport, but then people see Phelps winning 22 medals and that is going to inspire kids to take up the sport -- it inspires me to be a better swimmer. There are good and bad in all sports and it affects sports in different ways."

Irish swimmer Barry Murphy demands action to stop cheats - Irish News, Olympics 2012 - Independent.ie

Incredible that the performances were not drug assisted? Seven athletes under 10 seconds, and I am informed that human growth hormone cannot be reliably detected at this time.

Yep, incredible is the word.

You know, this sort of thing lurks in the back of my mind, and I'm sure the back of the minds of most people here, but you really don't need to be so tedious or snide about it.

You know, this sort of thing lurks in the back of my mind, and I'm sure the back of the minds of most people here, but you really don't need to be so tedious or snide about it.

It isn't my intention to be tedious or snide. But at this point I cannot trust these performances. Why should these suspicions just lurk at the back of our minds - surely they should be centre stage? Bolt, I think, could be genuine - a sort of Lomu of the 100m - but one never knows.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...s-Usain-Bolts-record-setting-performances.htm

Oh god, and I thought the "look on the bright side Australia, Team Oceania's doing well" write-up in The Age was cringeworthy. Cobbler, you're just going to vomit when you see what the Daily Terrorgraph published: Australia latching onto NZ Olympic success

Australia, haven't you learnt by now? Neil and Tim Finn are New Zealanders. Kimbra is a New Zealander. Phar Lap was a Kiwi horse. Pavlova comes from New Zealand. The only Kiwi "success" you're welcome to claim as your own is Russell Crowe. We know you're never going to claim the two Crowes worth talking about, Martin and Jeff.

Disappointed for Federer :( but good to see Del Potro back amongst the top few with his Bronze. Hopefully he can make a few Grand Slam finals.

Richards Ross winning the 400m was a highlight, as was Bolt's win. He's a star, butI'm a bit disappointed that the world media seems so transfixed on Bolt defending his title, when fellow Jamaican Shelly Ann Fraser is getting no recognition for doing the same thing in the same event.

Great to have the athletics on. So much better visually than Swimming, and athletes seem to be so much more likeable than all those bland swimmers. Also, there are much more countries vying for medals, a greater diversity of competitive nations.

^imagine if JB was commentating!

Woman in the 400m hurdles fell over and didn't finish... check out her name :lol:

AzjstoVCcAAWMoV.jpg:large

"SAUSAGE!!! BLOODY HELL!! GET AROUND HIM!!!"

That's an awesome name. I'm forever happy for foxtel after my wife's review of the tonight's proceedings on channel 9. She watched for about 45 minutes and hardly saw any sport.

I thought Andy Murray winning the gold was my favorite moment so far until I saw this. Brought tears to my eyes. Oscar Pistorius is just great, and he's also a very handsome guy.

reg_1024.James.8512_copy.jpg

Also McKayla Maroney winning the silver in vault-well nothing is a sure thing in the Olympics, in spite of the comments of those annoying NBC commentators.

Although the fact that she can sit down an Amanar and still get a silver medal is pretty freakin awesome!

I guess that means the rest of it was just far superior. Also awesome-when they showed that she got higher on the same vault than Uchimura did (I think it was him), and she has a lower vaulting table. And the 37 year old woman from Germany.

Watching the jump off for Gold in the Team Show jumping final! It's awesome!

OMG i couldn't watch live, but am so thrilled!! fantastic result!! :heart: Nick Skelton! i remember watching him ever since i was a kid! :hyper:

I knew I wouldn't be the only one that noticed Slukova and Kolocova.
Speaking of eye candy...I have been trying to track down some Dutch field hockey.

I managed to watch Sunday Night's Olympics totally spoiler free.
First time I've had no inclination about what happened. Good stuff.

Bolt is the real deal. He ain't doping. You need to be more worried about his countryman that finished 2nd that looks like a fucking linebacker. Dudes that big aren't supposed to run that fast. Bolt, physically, wouldn't be out of place in a 1960's sprint.

Fastest human ever.

That said, nothing would shock me.

Not a track and field junkie by a long shot but that 100m race was freaking nuts ~ Bolt just makes it look like he's going for a Sunday afternoon stroll, crazy stuff!

^imagine if JB was commentating!

Woman in the 400m hurdles fell over and didn't finish... check out her name :lol:

AzjstoVCcAAWMoV.jpg:large

that is absolutely FANTASTIC :lol:
(no not the falling! just to be clear!)

I thought Andy Murray winning the gold was my favorite moment so far until I saw this. Brought tears to my eyes. Oscar Pistorius is just great, and he's also a very handsome guy.

reg_1024.James.8512_copy.jpg

Also McKayla Maroney winning the silver in vault-well nothing is a sure thing in the Olympics, in spite of the comments of those annoying NBC commentators.

okay, am going to have to get my detective hat on and find out about that one!

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

I was in zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz land but sheesh I hope this medal for Slingsby was covered live in Oz ~ fantastically exciting for him!

also, Patty Mills ~ good.grief! ridiculous 3 pointer with 1. something seconds left on the clock to edge us in front of the Russians! I hope they savour it ~ we're up against the Dream Team next, but nothing is impossible right?

Watching the pole vaulting now . . . kinda awkward when they don't even get over the bars :lol: :reject:

Off to consume the rest of the nights/days proceedings . . . giddy.up!

omg, i was putting in my weight in pounds under kilos, and i was starting to resolve to never eat again when i saw the people who were popping up.

upon correcting my mistake, it appears i should be throwing the hammer for Team GB.

Speaking of eye candy...I have been trying to track down some Dutch field hockey.

Watched the second half of their game against GB tonight. It was quite a touch match for the Dutch, as the Brits were very sturdy. And the Dutch team doesn't seem to be at its top (yet...?). Hockey is always fun to look at, as the game is quite fast (see what happens when you get rid of the offside rule?). And yes, nothing wrong with most of the Dutch ladies team. :wink:

BTW, regarding the Dutch men's hockey team, I learned yesterday that Teun de Nooijer played his 450th game for the Dutch national team this past weekend! Wow, that's a lot of caps. He was already part of the team that won gold in Atlanta in 1996. And they're again going for gold.

Where's Vlad? He should be crowing that Belarus is now ahead of New Zealand on the medal tally after our showdown in the women's shotput went his way! Shame that Valerie Adams couldn't quite defend her 2008 gold, but it sounds like she put in a massive effort and silver's nothing to sneeze at.

Looks like we're going to score another silver in the 49er class sailing too; apparently all we need to do is show up for the final race and it's ours. Unfortunately, I think our moment in the sun is over - the Aussies just need to show up and they get the 49er class gold, which will put them above us on the medal tally unless we can spring a shock gold somewhere else. Go Bevan Docherty in the triathlon and Nick Willis in the 1500m! Apart from 1984, New Zealand's never won more than three golds at a single Olympics, so I'd love to see us pick up just one more somewhere to cap off a very successful 2012.

Hockey is always fun to look at, as the game is quite fast (see what happens when you get rid of the offside rule?).

Shame still very little is scored. :wink: Aussie Rules is onto a winner by having a goal far too big for a goalie to defend.

Back
Top Bottom