London 2012 Summer Olympics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see one of the eight badminton players kicked out of the Olympics for throwing their matches has quit the sport entirely. Honestly, I disagree with them being thrown out of the Games to begin with. Was what they did sporting, or in the "Olympic spirit"? No. Was it a good look for badminton? Not at all. Did the spectators get value for money? Obviously not, though they've got a mighty good story. But it's hard to blame the athletes for only doing what was best by them. I'd probably throw a match to get an easier opponent in the finals too.

The tonne of bricks should've come down on the idiot schedulers, not on the players. It's sheer incompetence if they didn't see this coming.

Where the bloody hell have you been?

Here and there.

I've got nothing to really say, since, I just got home and managed to turn my 4 hours worth of DVR'd primetime programming into a 15 minute program. I feel like I deprived myself, but, I'm super double fucking exhausted.

Looking forward to all that swummin' tomorrow night.

Sorry I'm helping to break CA. :(

Olympic gold in the men's double sculls for NZ!! Great race

Cohen and Sullivan, what champions! What force at the end!

Mahé Drysdale and the duo of Bond and Murray rowing for gold tomorrow - can't wait.

I don't even want to read that, ruins the mystique. I don't want to know if irvine did either, he can put that in a spoiler tag :wink:

I won't be home to see any of it tonight, one of the best nights-figures. I tried to see what I could on my laptop and all I keep getting is "adobe flash plug-in has crashed". Screw it-don't have the patience to deal with that. :banghead:

Tried it in Internet Explorer, stupid NBC site just keeps asking me to login when I already have numerous times. What the hell.

I don't even want to read that, ruins the mystique. I don't want to know if irvine did either, he can put that in a spoiler tag :wink:

Yeah, probably.

When I saw the headline, I was like, "no way!". It's definitely a lot of TMI, I admit, but then it makes one wonder...

Kayla Harrison from Marblehead MA won the gold medal in judo. I know nothing about judo but I do know that she's a survivor of sexual abuse, from a former coach

Gabrielle Douglas of Team USA won the all-around gold in gymnastics!!! :applaud:

Gabrielle Douglas of Team USA won the all-around gold in gymnastics!!! :applaud:

So I'm looking at the results, only seeing scores and I see Aly Raisman finished with the exact same score of 59.566 as the Russian Aliya Mustafina yet the Russina got bronze and Raisman is listed as finishing 4th...what decides who gets a medal in the event of a tie? I thought they gave 2 bronzes in these situations...anyone know or do i have to wait till its on TV tonight to find out?

So I'm looking at the results, only seeing scores and I see Aly Raisman finished with the exact same score of 59.566 as the Russian Aliya Mustafina yet the Russina got bronze and Raisman is listed as finishing 4th...what decides who gets a medal in the event of a tie? I thought they gave 2 bronzes in these situations...anyone know or do i have to wait till its on TV tonight to find out?

There is a tiebreak. They drop the lowest apparatus score for each gymnast, then if it's still tied, they drop another. It's explained here: London Olympics 2012: New gymnastics tie-break rules allow shared metals - London Olympics 2012 - Sporting News

Thanks for the info.
crappy way to miss out on a medal

yeah

I thought I remembered seeing more than one bronze winner before too,
If the American won on the tie-breaker, many would be saying she was obviously the better athlete.

Hopefully someone can answer this by the time I re-check the thread tonight (avoiding spoilers y'all)...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but remember that awesometastic incredibly amazing finish last year with Lazko (sp?) in the relay? Wasn't that broadcast live by NBC? I could have swore it was live. I remember everyone reacting to it at the same time.

Hopefully someone can answer this by the time I re-check the thread tonight (avoiding spoilers y'all)...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but remember that awesometastic incredibly amazing finish last year with Lazko (sp?) in the relay? Wasn't that broadcast live by NBC? I could have swore it was live. I remember everyone reacting to it at the same time.

Yeah, during Beijing, they had the swimming finals during the day instead of the evening session so they would be live on the East Coast. The West Coast was again screwed. Other countries were not amused that NBC had that much pull.

Wow. Rebecca Soni breaks the world record for a 2nd time in 2 days. Not bad. What is bad is how badly Ryan Lochte faded at the end of that 200 Backstroke. The 200IM final should be interesting.

Well the 2012 US Men's Basketball "Dream Team" is putting on a show reminiscent of the OG '92 version. Though I don't think any Nigerians were elbowed in the face by Kevin Durant so there's that.

Final score: 156-73 which is the most points ever scored in an Olympics, shattering the previous record of 137. Not bad.

Phelps becomes the only male swimmer ever, to three-peat an event.

Lochte is likely not happy. Shocker in the 200 bk, and not a good time for him. But this is what happens at the Olympics. Favorites fall, frequently. Only Soni and Phelps have defended their titles from Beijing. Yes, swimming had lots of events. But swimming also is loaded with upsets, once-in-a-lifetime performances, breakthroughs, and shockers decided by the blink of an eye.

Huge 100 fly for Phelps. Knock on wood, but that should be his second threepeat.

Missy Franklin's potential has only begun to be tapped. She will own 2016.

Lastly, I can't get enough of overly dramatic Russian gymnasts. I also think they should be required to throw glitter upon each dismount.

I thought that one Russian girl, Mustafina, has a very beautiful face.
But yeah, they were overwrought to say the least.

Funny that we may not even see Gabby in 2016 for a chance to repeat.
4 years is apparently an eternity in gymnastics. Otherwise, we'd have seen Nastia.

I was happy for Phelps for the first time in these games.
I jumped on Team Lochte before knowing what a complete cocky toolbag he is.
At least Phelps has plenty of reason for his...confidence.

USA-New Zealand women's soccer Quarterfinal 9:30 AM ET.

I say NZ puts up more of a fight than people might expect. Maybe 3-1 USA win.

i'm starting to get a bit misty about the end of the Phelps era in swimming. no, he's not a particularly interesting person, and has had some screw ups, but i've heard from second hand sources that he is a genuinely decent guy, very kind to kids and people close to him, and beyond that his athletic accomplishments speak for themselves. more importantly, he's elevated the sport of swimming to levels unthinkable even as recently as 2002. he is the Michael Jordan/Mohammad Ali/Babe Ruth of the sport. he's also the Beatles. he's Steven Spielberg. and it's been a privilege to watch him swim. were i an 11-year old age group swimmer of today, my wall would be filled with pictures of Michael Phelps.

these pictures of him from when he was 14/15 are crazy:

Michael Phelps Retrospective - baltimoresun.com

And for those of you saying gymnastics is not as good as it used to be... yeah. I just saw this.

Olga Korbut Uneven Bars with Korbut Flip slow motion replay (1972 Olympics) - YouTube

I've watched the slomo about 10 times and I still don't see how this is humanly possible.

And apparently she didn't get a perfect 10 for this and only won silver.

I can't say I know much about gymnastics, but holy fucking shit! That's insane. What the hell did the gold medalist pull off to beat that?!

USA-New Zealand women's soccer Quarterfinal 9:30 AM ET.

I say NZ puts up more of a fight than people might expect. Maybe 3-1 USA win.

I don't normally care much about soccer, but god I'd love to see New Zealand somehow get up, defy everybody's predictions, and win the game.

After just watching some gymnastics highlights, I'm kind of glad I didn't get to see more of it, given the way the woman commentating yelled "it's good!" as her sole comment on practically every move. Painful.

Also, that video Cobbler posted kind of ruined the uneven bars highlights. Nothing quite as spectacular as that in the highlights package! :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom