London 2012 Summer Olympics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Why do I have the feeling that this time, the media will be focusing more on getting the dirt on who slept with who and what parties went on, than the actual athletic events? I could easily imagine some TV commentator blaming a faltering athlete on partying too hard the previous night. :rolleyes:

I don't see what the big deal is about the sexcapades. Athletes have beautiful bodies - who wouldn't want to sleep with them? (Although I would raise my eyebrow over the female gymnasts. You never know how young they are) Just enjoy the sporting events and let the athletes have their fun.

I don't know, I just wish I was an Olympic athlete all of a sudden :lol:

To have an awesome body, to travel to various parts of the world, to sleep with someone who doesn't speak your language...who wouldn't?

"The next morning," Lakatos says, "swear to God, the entire women's 4x100 relay team of some Scandinavian-looking country walks out of the house, followed by boys from our side. And I'm just going, 'Holy crap, we'd watched these girls run the night before.'"

And on it went for eight days as scores of Olympians, male and female, trickled into the shooter's house -- and that's what everyone called it, Shooters' House -- at all hours, stopping by an Oakley duffel bag overflowing with condoms procured from the village's helpful medical clinic. After a while, it dawned on Lakatos: "I'm running a friggin' brothel in the Olympic Village! I've never witnessed so much debauchery in my entire life."

Uh, that's just awesome.

Today it's not enough to run up the stairs and light the torch - today it has to be an extravaganza extraordinare.....as shown in the following clip:

Olympic Torch Cauldron Lighting History, Opening ceremonies - YouTube

Turin and Sydney were awesome but the one to beat is Beijing - I have no idea what the Brits have got in mind but it will have to be monumental.

Speaking of monumental - you have GOT to watch this torch lighting of the 2008 special olympics in Beijing - WOW.

Beijing Paralympic Games opening ceremony part 13 light the Cauldron 北京2008残奥会开幕式 - YouTube

On a sadder note: The Israeli sportscasters covering the opening ceremony will observe their own one minute of silence in honor of the 11 Israeli athletes murdered at the 1972 Munich Olympics. I agree that a public observance of a minute silence during the opening ceremonies isn't really appropriate (mainly because it's not realistic to expect the participating Arab nations to mourn the loss of Israelis) BUT I do believe that at least some mention of it should be made in the opening speeches.

On that matter, here is an interesting National Geographic documentary about this tragedy.

Munich Olympic Massacre - Seconds From Disaster - YouTube

Let us hope that everyone stays safe during these Olympics and that the spirit of sportsmanship will prevail over politics.

Good luck to everyone!!

I do think the games need to be rejigged a bit. Because, honestly. Who gives a fuck about equestrian? Or synchronised swimming?

Well, I guess watching horses running and jumping could be just as interesting as watching human athletes running and jumping if you like that sort of thing.
As for synchronised swimming - I look at it as gymnastics in the water - it's very pleasant to look at - like in the "Twisting by the pool" video by Dire Straits.

I signed a petition for the minute of silence for the Israeli athletes/coaches killed. It is appropriate and also long overdue, IMO.

The summer games have too many sports - I think that you could work to decrease the scope somewhat and make it more manageable. In many ways I think watching the winter olympics is more fun because almost everything there is watchable in the time period scheduled. Sometimes I wonder why they haven't moved some of the indoor events to winter - is there a reason that gymnastics has to be in July?

I do think the games need to be rejigged a bit. Because, honestly. Who gives a fuck about equestrian? Or synchronised swimming?

I love the equestrian events! But I grew up around horses.

I also LOVE Modern Pentathlon: Fencing, Swimming, Riding, Shooting and a 3K run. It's like old school special agent training!

I just don't know whether there really is a place for team sports in the Olympic Games. It's always struck me as very ridiculous that you can have the football or hockey or basketball tournaments go on for so many games that are so long in duration, all for one set of medals. Meanwhile, in the Judo or Swimming, they'll smash out multiple divisions or strokes in the one day, and give out a whole stack of medals.

Not to mention that the football tournament is regarded without much credibility, because they are not the best teams in the world, they are the best U23 teams in the world.

I don't include relays or gymnastics team competitions as team sports though.

Anyway, Cycling Road Races are always a personal Olympic highlight, as will be the Kayak Slalom. Love that sport.

I love the inclusion of team sports, specifically ones that don't have pro leagues like Volleyball. Basketball...I'll watch if nothing else is on.

I watch more Women's Soccer than Men's at the Olympics, but I do enjoy seeing some of the future men's stars. Women's has some continued storylines from the WWC, though its still not as good as the previous years womens world cup.

I pretty much watch it all though. Olympic fever!

this-that34.jpg

I don't know why you'd say equestrian, since that's hugely popular (well, the showjumping and cross country is; the less said about the snoozefest of the dressage, the better), but sychronised swimming has to go. Sure, that'll upset about three people, but they'll get over it ... and just switch over to the synchronised diving, which is rather awesome.

As for the amount of sports, I suppose there is something of a problem in that everybody wants "their" sport recognised as an Olympic sport but there's only so much time. I like a large, diverse Olympics though - if you find one event boring, it's not hard to find something else on that day that you like. That said, I'd be inclined to suggest that team sports should only be included when an Olympic medal is one of the highest honours in the sport. That would exclude soccer, despite its global popularity, because an Olympic medal means nothing compared to even a half-decent placing in a World Cup. Does anybody in Australia even remember how well any Aussie soccer team has ever performed in the Olympics? Meanwhile, I think the entire country still remembers that World Cup match in 2006.

I am very pleased that rugby sevens will be added at the 2016 games. It can be held over just a weekend, so it's much quicker than your average Olympic team sport, it doesn't require any special venues, it's been very successful in the Commonwealth Games, and it gives a good number of smaller countries a realistic medal chance that they've never had before, e.g. Fiji. It'd be a much better fit than some of the stuff currently in the programme.

Plus it's hopefully another gold for New Zealand. We've never lost a rugby sevens match in the Commonwealth Games. :whistle:

I'm a bit skeptical about this push by some people to get Twenty20 cricket added to the Olympics though ...

Well, I was referring to dressage. Forgot about the others. Who the fuck finds dressage even remotely interesting?

Ask Charlotte. She defends it every time I rubbish it!

But then she practically grew up on a horse.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

there's one version of that video with "you're the best" from one of the karate kid movies mixed in. always make me laugh.

PennyLanePHINS said:
I

I watch more Women's Soccer than Men's at the Olympics, but I do enjoy seeing some of the future men's stars. Women's has some continued storylines from the WWC, though its still not as good as the previous years womens world cup.

Last year's World Cup was amazing. Great drama, there should be a highlights DVD of the tournament.

Axver said:
I'm a bit skeptical about this push by some people to get Twenty20 cricket added to the Olympics though ...

Cricket? It would never, ever qualify. You need x number of countries, with a spread representing all continents, all playing to an acceptable standard. A small number of ex colonies of varying standard falls way short. Even rugby doesn't stand a chance and it is legitimately far more global than cricket.

The only reason I don't want to see cricket in there is because 20/20 is a shit game.

There was a quidditch exhibition match a few days ago in Oxford. I did a story on some of the Australian players, and when I jokingly asked if they'd like to see quidditch in the Olympics, one of them quite seriously said "we'd like to think so, within about 20 years" :crack:

The only reason I don't want to see cricket in there is because 20/20 is a shit game.

There was a quidditch exhibition match a few days ago in Oxford. I did a story on some of the Australian players, and when I jokingly asked if they'd like to see quidditch in the Olympics, one of them quite seriously said "we'd like to think so, within about 20 years" :crack:

Perhaps in 20 years we'll have perfected the flying broom.

HAHA at that drinking game. Kerri Strug! I think she's going to be doing coverage for NBC. Lots of shots.

"Fit Kid, Fat Parents"

Just want to share this inspirational story here...

Oksana Chusovitina shouldn't be here. Not wearing a leotard anyway. A coach's sweat suit maybe, but certainly not a uniform.

Yet there the well-traveled 37-year-old was on Thursday, grinding through gymnastics podium training at The O2 Arena with German teammates closer in age to her 12-year-old son Alisher.
Precise on beam. Powerful on vault. Same as it ever was for one of the most remarkable athletes of her generation.
In a sport where 20 can be considered ancient (just ask the recently retired Shawn Johnson), London will be Chusovitina's sixth Olympics.
Yes. Sixth.

At 37, German gymnast Oksana Chusovitina still going strong

Back
Top Bottom