London 2012 Summer Olympics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Allyson Felix tomorrow y'all!!
Me likes.

Me too. I'm pretty much Phelp's and most definitely Lochte'd out, ready for T/F to start the fuck on up. Lochte is done, yes, so, there's that.

That being said, kudos to Phelps for his three-peat. Awfully impressive, no matter the sport. Sustained excellence over such a long period of time requires an elite mix of skill, training and determination. I'm happy when I win a few softball games in a row, so, yeah. I'm always on team greatness, so, I've been pulling for Phelps as much now as in games past.

Men's Indoor Volleyball win over Brazil was nice. From a purely athletic standpoint, I much prefer Indoor to Beach Volleyball.

And, yeah, lastly, watched a good portion of USA v poor Nigeria at work and, wow, what a fucking mismatch. Also watched the UK almost upset Spain. I'm sure Spain will buckle down if/when they play the USA in the gold medal game but as of now, they don't seem as good or as legit a challenger as 2008. We shall see.....

I can't say I know much about gymnastics, but holy fucking shit! That's insane. What the hell did the gold medalist pull off to beat that?!

The distance between the two bars has changed drastically since then. They're not nearly as close together. It's impossible to do any of that shit anymore.

Make them closer again! That was far more awesome than anything I've seen this year.

Eric Murray and Hamish Bond, you are fucking machines! Holy shit, what an absolute domination of the men's rowing pair.

New Zealand now ahead of Australia on the medal tally. :lmao:

Mahé Drysdale you are one of the greatest fucking New Zealand champions of all time!

This might be my favourite gold ever, given how cruelly Mahé was denied gold in 2008 by a stomach infection but still rowed to a heroic bronze. And this is the first time New Zealand's won two golds in less than an hour since 1960!

Me too. I'm pretty much Phelp's and most definitely Lochte'd out, ready for T/F to start the fuck on up. Lochte is done, yes, so, there's that.

I'm with ya! I'm actually kind of sick of swimming altogether and dying for the athletics portion of the Olympics to start today. Think there are too many swimming events, to be honest. I'd definitely cut some of them out.

Team GB has done really well so far. Always nice to see the home team perform on their own soil. So great for all the fans.

I'm surprised by how much fun the sailing is to watch. It's full of action - boats overturning constantly, leaders changing constantly, just a totally wild ride. Also really liked waterpolo yesterday, talk about a brutal and violent sport.

The US men's volleyball team has been amazing in each of the matches I've seen. I definitely prefer indoor volleyball to beach volleyball. There is real imagination and artistry in that sport, plus the team really works as a unified entity.

So happy for Gabby Douglas, she made history too as the first African American to win gold in the all around. When I saw the team competition I thought she was the one who could do it. I got home in time to catch the floor exercise, and I actually thought Komova was better in that :shrug:. I've seen from the highlights that Aly made several mistakes on the beam and her vault had a big hop.

I also saw Phelps/Lochte without knowing the results beforehand. How about Lochte's mother saying that he doesn't have time to date so he only has one night stands. Talk about Mom embarrassment at the Olympics, although he's probably not embarrassed at all.

So happy for Gabby Douglas, she made history too as the first African American to win gold in the all around.

She's actually the first black gymnast from any country to win an individual gold at the Olympics, which makes her win all the more awesome. :up:

Lots of empty seats at these Olympics, even at gymnastics. They have been giving tickets away to soldiers. Too expensive, people can't afford it these days.

London won the Olympics over Chicago, not New York, right?

ETA- I just checked. Chicago was 2008.
So yeah...how the fuck could New York have lost out to anyone else?

and, erm, sorry about the Phelps gushing last night. white wine makes me sentimental.

I was feeling good for him too. Hope he wins today.
I'll be trying to avoid it...but I know I won't be able to.

Speaking of, isn't this his last individual race?

And I was just reading an article about the Russian woman being divas last night. Haha. Especially Mustafina...pouty pouty. Still, she has a beautiful face.
The other girl was crying her eyes out when she *only* won the silver.

Anyway...on to today.
Track and field and magnets, bitch!!!

Men's Indoor Volleyball win over Brazil was nice. From a purely athletic standpoint, I much prefer Indoor to Beach Volleyball.

Those dudes can fucking THUMP a serve. Damn.

Volleyball is a great sport at a high level. I think it's the next college sport that will grow, sort of like women's softball. Hopefully ESPN won't monopolize it. Unfortunately, that may be what it takes to grow it. Fucking ESPN...

^ :lol:

And for those of you saying gymnastics is not as good as it used to be... yeah. I just saw this.

Olga Korbut Uneven Bars with Korbut Flip slow motion replay (1972 Olympics) - YouTube

I've watched the slomo about 10 times and I still don't see how this is humanly possible.

And apparently she didn't get a perfect 10 for this and only won silver.

The Korbut on bars isn't really all that hard and is now "illegal" because you cannot do skills where you are standing/jumping off the high bar. The equipment has morphed for routines that involve swinging and release skills.

I'd never seen that. Holy crap!

Is it now no longer the style to have that move where, to get to the high bar, they stand on the low bar? That always looked so weird and awkward compared to everything else in the routine.

Agreed. Indoor volleyball is insane. It's great on TV and of course even better in person.;

Those dudes can fucking THUMP a serve. Damn.

Volleyball is a great sport at a high level. I think it's the next college sport that will grow, sort of like women's softball. Hopefully ESPN won't monopolize it. Unfortunately, that may be what it takes to grow it. Fucking ESPN...

I hope so. Since they changed the scoring format and added the libero it's now more television friendly. I think that the emergence the Mid-West and East Coast teams is great for the sport.

I'd never seen that. Holy crap!

Is it now no longer the style to have that move where, to get to the high bar, they stand on the low bar? That always looked so weird and awkward compared to everything else in the routine.

Depends on the level. Below Elite you still see this. At Olympic level they are using complicated transitions to get from low to high so they don't just do a cast-squat on and then jump.

Did they used to do that more often at the Elite level, though? I only ever end up seeing Olympics or maybe US/World competitions, and I thought I remembered them still using that fairly often.

Maybe I'm just confused - I'm only a casual viewer!

I, uh, woke up this morning to find I'd made this last night while celebrating New Zealand's success - I may be enjoying things too much:

Kiwi.png

Time to give as good as we get! Especially since I'm sure that within the next few days, Australia will have finally found its way to some more gold.

This article is very much over-jubilant, but I can't help agreeing with some parts rather strongly anyway:

How could anyone not be moved by the sight of Drysdale choking back the tears at achieving his life's dream after sickness restricted him to bronze in Beijing.

And while we're still delirious, here's a question: What's the difference between the New Zealand Rowing team and the entire Australian Olympic squad?

The Kiwi oarspeople have more gold medals.

Today's Lake Dorney double - coupled with Nathan Cohen and Joseph Sullivan's pairs triumph - means New Zealand has three gold medals to Australia's ONE.

Pass that big can of borax please. No, on second thoughts, give us the silo.

Savour the moment New Zealand. While we can. We've suffered enough Australian opprobrium over the years.

Yeah that was nuts, the NZ goalie was laid out for a minute after, Morgan too. There was another crazy moment in Great Britain-Canada. GB was down 2-0 & got a free kick and loaded the box with their players, and everyone went for the ball and it looked like a Football game with tackling all over.

I like volleyball, do they show the volleyball world cups or championships whatever they call it on TV? NBC Sports might start to. It could be bigger than it is here in the US.

Back
Top Bottom