It's a college basketball thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK I rarely watch women's basketball. I even more rarely watch a game not involving the Huskies...but I did tune in to quite a bit of Rutgers/Tennessee last night. What went on at the end of that game was one of the worst clock-related travesties I've ever seen, seriously. An absolute joke.

Also the pink Rutgers unis were kind of cool.

Really? That particularly group wasn't exactly a joy to cheer for but overally I like Calhoun. I do think the end of the road is coming for him as a head coach, and when that day comes the entire state of CT is going to lose their minds.

I think it's odd how his recruiting successes have evolved. Remember how the old Calhoun would bring in a bunch of wing players who could run and shoot, but never any quality bigs (and no, Travis Knight does not = quality big). The word "donut team" got tossed around a lot. Now he seems to bring in more interior guys, which is cool, but I miss the days when UConn could press & trap all night with quality guards.

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana basketball coach Kelvin Sampson and his staff violated telephone recruiting restrictions imposed because of his previous violations at Oklahoma, then lied about it to the school and NCAA investigators, the NCAA said Wednesday.

The NCAA has listed five major violations against Sampson, saying he gave "false or misleading information" to investigators. The university released the NCAA's report later Wednesday.

Major violations of NCAA rules can carry punishments including postseason ineligibility.

Indiana has until May 8 to provide a written response.

Among the specific allegations cited in the NCAA letter:

• That Sampson, assistant coach Jeff Meyer and former assistant Rob Senderoff failed to comply with sanctions imposed on Sampson for impermissible recruiting calls he made while he was the head coach at Oklahoma. Sampson was under such sanctions when he was hired to coach the Hoosiers in May 2006.

Sampson and Senderoff are alleged to have jointly participated in telephone calls at a time when Sampson was prohibited from being present or taking part when staff members made recruiting calls. Senderoff and Meyer are alleged to have made about 100 calls that exceeded the sanction limits.

Senderoff resigned his position Oct. 30.

• That Senderoff and Meyer placed "at least 25 telephone calls" to nine potential recruits that exceeded NCAA limits even if no sanctions had been in place.

• That Sampson "acted contrary to the NCAA principles of ethical conduct when he knowingly violated recruiting restrictions imposed by the NCAA Committee on Infractions."

• That Sampson and Meyer engaged in an impermissible recruiting contact during a two-day sports camp held at Assembly Hall last June 30 and July 1, and that Meyer provided the potential recruit with an impermissible benefit -- at least one T-shirt and drawstring backpack.

In a statement issued through his attorney, Meyer said he would continue to cooperate with Indiana and the NCAA.

"I regret that I may have made mistakes that are causing my and IU's conduct to be examined by the NCAA. ... I will not comment on this process again before it is completed," Meyer said.

i'm pretty sure i know who the recruit he gave the illegal t-shirt to is :hi5:

well that's the least important detail in the sanctions, but it is a known fact. heck i was told by my coach at a small ass D3 school after asking for a school t-shirt that i couldn't recieve one because it was an ncaa violation. one would assume that sampson, with all his past history, knows full well that everything he was doing was a violation.

That's the thing. At this point if you're Sampson you have to have a pretty fair working knowledge of what is & isn't cool with the NCAA...I think he's in trouble.

I love how the "Bobby Knight to IU" rumors are springing up, picture that.

And UConn wins again. Their schedule looks pretty soft the rest of the way, I could see them winning out, getting to the Big East final, and ending up with a 2 or 3 seed that they don't deserve. I'd be surprised if they got past the sweet 16, a 2nd round loss wouldn't shock me.

he recruits based on athleticism... they play an ugly, disgusting style of basketball. ray allen ain't walkin' through that door anymore.

wow. you can develop atheleticism into good players, you can't develop fundamentally sound players into good athletes. the last two years have been pretty ugly. no shooters on the team makes for some ugly basketball.

this year, just watching thabeet's improvement makes them fun to watch. the guy was so bad, and in a year and a half he has become a very good player.

watching uconn block shots smartly, is worth watching them. one thing calhoun's staff has, they know how to teach players to block shots, and do it correctly. the syracuse game was a thing of beauty defensively for uconn. syracuse big men lowering the shoulders, trying to run over guys, and then still getting their shots thrown.

one man's ugly, is another's thing of beauty.

calhoun is a great coach, and he is sdjusting to what he has and winning anyway.

so you must really hate watching memphis?

jphelmet said:
wow. you can develop atheleticism into good players, you can't develop fundamentally sound players into good athletes.

it's this exact reasoning that has helped aid in the downfall of american basketball... not to mention the rise of the mid-majors.

yes, you are correct. you can't teach the god given athleticism that some of these kids have. no doubt.

unfortunatly you also can't teach heart, toughness and work ethic. so all of these athletic freaks who've been AAU superstars their entire life and have a sense of entitlement get to college and marginaly develop.

meanwhile the guys a run below them go to the mid-majors, stay for 4 years, develop their game, become quicker based on good solid fundamentals... and george mason beats uconn to go to the final four.

give me butler any day. they may not win it all, but they're fun to watch and they play the game the way it's supposed to be played.

got a relatively small, unknown opponent tonight...

Super 25: South Atlanta rises while Rice falls
BOYS BASKETBALL RANKINGS
Super 25
By Jim Halley, USA TODAY

Who's in: Two teams joined the USA TODAY Super 25 high school boys basketball rankings: No. 23 Wheeler (Marietta, Ga.) and No. 25 Taft (Woodland Hills, Calif.). Neither team has an in-state loss.
Who's out: No. 19 Marshall, Chicago, which fell 83-72 at Hales Franciscan, and No. 20 Fairfax (Los Angeles), which lost to city rival Westchester 71-70.

Results through Sunday's games

1. St. Anthony, Jersey City (20-0)

Previous: 1. Result: Mike Rosario led the Friars with 18 points in a 60-40 win vs. Linden. Rosario had 32 points in a 71-33 win vs. John Carroll (Bel Air, Md.). Guards Jio Fontan, Tyshawn Taylor and Travon Woodall combined for 48 points in a 83-47 win vs. Elizabeth. Next: Tuesday vs. Our Savior New American (Centereach, N.Y.), Thursday at Long Island Lutheran (Brookville, N.Y.), Saturday vs. Pleasantville, Sunday at Hudson Catholic (Jersey City).

2. Mater Dei, Santa Ana, Calif. (27-0)

Previous: 2. Results: David Wear had 16 points and 10 rebounds and Gary Franklin had 16 points in a 81-59 win vs. Lutheran (Orange). Franklin had 19 points and Travis Wear had 14 points and 10 rebounds in an 81-49 win at Servite (Anaheim). Next: Playoffs, Friday, vs. Downey-Artesia (Lakewood) winner.

3. St. Benedict's Prep, Newark, N.J. (21-1)

Previous: 3. Results: Samardo Samuels scored 30 points for the Gray Bees in a 68-62 win vs. then-No. 13 St. Patrick (Elizabeth). Tamir Jackson had 26 points in a 77-63 win vs. Our Saviour New American (Centereach, N.Y.). Next: Played Monday at Life Center (Burlington), Saturday vs. New Creations (Richmond, Ind.)

4. Duncanville, Texas (31-1)

Previous: 4. Results: Shawn Williams had 24 points in a 76-66 win vs. DeSoto. Williams had 22 points and Roger Franklin had 18 in a 60-50 win vs. Bowie (Arlington). Next: Today at Cedar Hill. Playoffs, Feb. 19, TBD.

5. Yates, Houston (24-2)

Previous: 5. Result: Emmanuel Kirby had 20 points in a 100-44 win vs. Jefferson Davis (Houston). Next: Wednesday vs. Austin (Houston), Playoffs, TBD.

6. Chester, Pa. (24-1)

Previous: 6. Result: Nasir Robinson led Chester with 22 points and 18 rebounds in a 68-56 playoff win vs. Methacton (Norristown). Next: Today in playoffs vs. Perkiomen Valley (Collegeville).

7. Saginaw, Mich. (15-1)

Previous: 8. Result: Defeated Mount Pleasant 87-59 as Daniel West had 21 points, 12 steals and 11 assists. Next: Today at Central (Pontiac), Feb. 21 at Western (Auburn).

8. Moeller, Cincinnati (21-1)

Previous: 9. Result: Michael Davenport had 17 points in a 41-32 win at St. Xavier (Cincinnati). Next: Playoffs, Feb. 18 vs. Amelia (Batavia)-Walnut Hills (Cincinnati) winner.

9. Archbishop Mitty, San Jose, Calif. (23-1)

Previous: 10. Results: Defeated Valley Christian (Roseville) 69-54 as Angelo Caloiaro scored 30 points. Caloiaro had 15 in a 67-38 win at Archbishop Riordan (San Francisco). Next: Playoffs, today vs. Valley Christian, Friday TBD.

10. Norcross, Ga. (22-2)

Previous: 15. Result: Al-Farouq Aminu had 39 points and 17 rebounds as the Blue Devils defeated Duluth 89-36. Next: Playoffs, Friday vs. winner of North Gwinnett (Suwanee) and South Forsyth (Cumming).

11. Homewood-Flossmoor, Flossmoor, Ill. (19-1)

Previous: 17. Results: Defeated Andrew (Tinley Park) 80-55 as Kevin Dillard scored 24 points. Won 79-70 at Thornwood (South Holland) as Supo Sanni had 25 points and nine rebounds. Next: Today vs. Bradley, Friday vs. Lincoln-Way Central (New Lenox).

12. LeFlore, Mobile, Ala. (26-2)

Previous: 14. Result: Idle. Next: Played Monday vs. Baldwin County (Bay Minette), playoffs. Playoffs, TBD.

13. South Atlanta, Atlanta (24-1)

Previous: 23. Results: Defeated Southside (Atlanta) 85-48. Defeated Carver (Atlanta) 94-41 as Derrick Favors had 20 points and 20 rebounds. Next: Played Monday vs. Westminster (Atlanta), playoffs. Thursday-Saturday, region playoffs, TBD.

14. St. Patrick, Elizabeth, N.J. (16-4)

Previous: 13. Results: Lost 68-62 to No. 3 St. Benedict's Prep (Newark), Michael Gilchrist had 10 points and was the MVP of the game in a 63-54 win vs. then-No. 11 Oak Hill (Mouth of Wilson, Va.). Next: Sunday vs. St. Augustine (Cherry Hill).

15. Oak Hill Academy, Mouth of Wilson, Va. (27-4)

Previous: 11. Results: Brandon Jennings had 47 points and eight assists as the Warriors defeated Life Center (Burlington, N.J.) 102-72. Brandon Jennings had 32 points and Danny Jennings had 15 points in an 81-39 win vs. Piscataway (N.J.). Lost 63-54 to then-No. 13 St. Patrick (Elizabeth, N.J.). Next: Wednesday vs. Nashville Christian, Feb. 19 vs. Bonner Academy (Raleigh, N.C.).

16. Simeon, Chicago (22-2)

Previous: 24. Result: Defeated Brooks (Chicago) 70-44 as Lazeric Jones scored 14 and Stan Simpson had 12 rebounds, seven blocks and 10 rebounds. Next: Playoffs, Thursday vs. Crane (Chicago), Sunday TBD.

17. Lincoln, Brooklyn, N.Y. (20-3)

Previous: 12. Results: Lost 67-66 to Boys and Girls (Brooklyn). Lance Stephenson had 25 points and seven rebounds in a 82-35 win vs. Canarsie (Brooklyn). Defeated then-No. 7 Rice 75-68 as Stephenson had 35 points. Next: Today vs. Westinghouse (Brooklyn).

18. Rice, New York (19-2)

Previous: 7. Results: Lost 75-68 to Lincoln (Brooklyn). Defeated St. Peter's (Staten Island) 76-62 as Durand Scott had 23 points. Next: Today at Xaverian (Brooklyn), Friday vs. All Hallows (Bronx, N.Y.).

19. Word of God Academy, Raleigh, N.C. (24-2)

Previous: 18. Results: Milton Chavis had 18 points at Greensboro Day in a 53-44 win. Lost 64-57 vs. Charis Prep (Goldsboro). Chavis had 14 points in a 91-47 win vs. Waccamaw Academy (Whiteville). Next: Played Monday at Mount Zion (Gastonia). Playoffs, Friday vs. Flora McDonald, Saturday vs. Waccamaw Academy-Trinity Christian (Greenville) winner, Tuesday TBD.

20. Gonzaga, Washington D.C. (25-1)

Previous: 21. Results: Max Kenyi had 24 points in a 59-46 win vs. Paul VI (Fairfax, Va.). Cameron Johnson had 18 points in a 61-39 win at Bishop McNamara (Forestville, Md.). Defeated St. Mary's Ryken (Leonardtown, Md.) 63-38. Next: Today vs. Bishop Ireton (Alexandria, Va.), Friday at DeMatha (Hyattsville, Md.), Playoffs, TBD.

21. McClymonds, Oakland (24-0)

Previous: 22. Results: Quincy Hill had 18 points in a 68-46 win vs. Castlemont (Oakland). Damario Simms hit a game-winning three-pointer to lift the Warriors to a 54-51 win vs. Oakland. Next: Wednesday vs. Oakland Tech, Friday vs. Fremont (Oakland).

22. Academy of the New Church, Bryn Athyn, Pa. (20-2)

Previous: 25. Results: Larry Loughery had 20 points in a 66-46 win vs. Germantown Academy (Fort Washington). Sam Givens had 15 points in a 68-47 win at Friends Central (Wynnewood). Defeated Timber Creek (Sicklerville, N.J.) 72-58 as Loughery had 23 points. Next: Today vs. The Shipley School (Bryn Mawr) in playoffs, Friday vs. TBD.

23. Wheeler, Marietta, Ga. (24-2)

Previous: Not ranked. Result: Defeated Northview (Duluth) 84-66 as DeQuan Jones had 20 points and Phil Taylor had 16. Next: Today vs. Pope (Marietta), playoffs.

24. St. Raymond, Bronx, N.Y. (17-4)

Previous: 16. Result: Won 98-66 at All Hallows (Bronx). Lost 77-68 in overtime at Linden (N.J.). Next: Wednesday vs. Bloomfield (N.J.) Tech, Friday at Bishop Loughlin (Brooklyn), Sunday vs. Lincoln (Brooklyn).

25. Taft, Woodland Hills, Calif. (21-3)

Previous: Not ranked. Result: Larry Drew had 24 points to beat Chatsworth 79-41. Defeated Birmingham (Van Nuys) 85-45. Next: Friday vs. Manual Arts (Los Angeles).

•USA TODAY'S Super 25 boys basketball rankings were compiled by Jim Halley. Among the criteria considered are a school's strength of schedule, the quality of its wins and the quality of its players. Next rankings: Feb. 19.

:hyper: :yikes: :pray: :hi5:

Hewson said:
The NCAA rules do need to be revisited when a free T-shirt is cause for sanction.

Well, no, not just a t-shirt. But a T-shirt AND a drawstring backpack...now THAT is a reason for sanctions. :wink:

In reality, he is a repeat offender. If your hand has been slapped before, and you continue to do it - you either
are dumb and/or have a problem.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
give me butler any day. they may not win it all, but they're fun to watch and they play the game the way it's supposed to be played.

Schmeg and I were going to go to the Butler game tonight. :hi5:

holy shit on a stick...

if you have a chance to watch st. anthony of jersey city play, do so. talk about playing basketball the right way. tough, hard nosed man to man defense, run and gun transition, smooth fundamentaly perfect jump shooters. it was a coach's dream to watch, unless of course you were seated on the other bench.

looking across from your seat on the bench and seeing an absolute legend of coaching on the other side of the court wasn't nearly as nerve racking as i thought it would be. but bob hurley certainly does have a presense in any gym that makes people stop and look when he walks into the room. the man's the john wooden of high school basketball for christ's sake.

going into the game st. anthony was 21-0, 20 of their 21 victories coming by 20 points or more for an average margin of victory of 39 points per game. 6 seniors have already signed with D1 schools (two to Fordham, one to St. Joe's, one to Pitt, one to Marquette and one to Rutgers), and their top junior is deciding between offers from North Carolina, Georgetown and Wake Forest.

This team is a never ending punch to the gut. Everytime we would cut it close they'd come back with a three, a steal for a layup and another three and all of a sudden you found yourself down double digits again. When their shots went up you automaticly assumed they were going in.

We survived their first run out, down just 9 at half time... feeling pretty good, feeling like there was a chance to pull off the upset. They miss their opening shot to start the second half and we get the ball, but we can't execute... and if you make a mistake against this team they'll eat you alive. 9 because 15 in no time. It hovered around there for a while, going back and forth, but eventually they pushed it out over 20. We'd cut it back down to as much as 16, but ultimately lost by 17.

This team was the best high school team i've ever seen. Their defensive rotations, the speed at which they moved in transition, the shots they hit with ease... unbelievable. And not a single guy complained to a ref, not a single guy talked back to the coach, no one bragged after a dunk or a big play, no over done celebrating... pure class the entire way.

unfortunatly you also can't teach heart, toughness and work ethic. so all of these athletic freaks who've been AAU superstars their entire life and have a sense of entitlement get to college and marginaly develop.

meanwhile the guys a run below them go to the mid-majors, stay for 4 years, develop their game, become quicker based on good solid fundamentals... and george mason beats uconn to go to the final four.

i agree with all of what you said. a&m has a 7 ft freshman (Deandre jordan) that was one of the top recruits in the nation and i have never seen a more fundamentally flawed player. makes thabeet's play last year look great. perfect example of the super freak athlete who cannot do a thing outside of dunk the ball.

while i do enjoy watching the mid majors, i also don't think uconn is as bad as you are saying.

interesting point about the top recruits and their fundamental flaws and /or work ethic. isn't that why gillespie is bombing at uk? no one wants to work their asses off, and play great defense. it worked well at utep and a&m when he had no big time recruits, and the bought into his system. the vandy game was clearly a team not buying into their coach's way of doing things. no way you should have a game like that ever, even if the talent is somewhat down.

glad to hear you at least hung with st anthony's. your description doesn't suprise me at all. saw them play a few years ago in the chick-fil-a classic in columbia sc, and it was about the same as you described.

hurley is a great coach, and from what little interaction i have had with him at a nike camp, he is a class guy as well.

i heard butler's coach just turned 12.

Maybe...but he is in the "first chair" for a top 10 DI team....rather than the "first chair" for a JV H.S. team. :wink:

:hug: Sorry, that feels pretty harsh.

Pretty sweet experience at St. Anthony's! :up:

Last edited:
zonelistener said:

Maybe...but he is in the "first chair" for a top 10 DI team....rather than the "first chair" for a JV H.S. team. :wink:

:hug: Sorry, that feels pretty harsh.

Pretty sweet experience at St. Anthony's! :up:

it was harsh :sad:

:wink: i wasn't insulting... twas just making the point that he be damm young for a D1 head coach.

good for him though :hi5:

I won free Chick-fil-a for a year tonight at our ass beating of A&M.

Had to make a lay up, free throw, three pointer, and half court shot in thirty seconds. Making that half court-er and hearing the arena explode was one of the most surreal moments of my life.

crowds are fun :hi5:

a guy i work & coach with was a 4 year walk on at wake forest... we had this entire weekend off so he took the trip down for the duke/wake game. he called me last night... he stormed the court.

guy plays with chris paul and josh howard and yet they beat duke and he storms the court like a little school girl. ahhh college hoops. :hi5:

impy13 said:
I won free Chick-fil-a for a year tonight at our ass beating of A&M.

Had to make a lay up, free throw, three pointer, and half court shot in thirty seconds. Making that half court-er and hearing the arena explode was one of the most surreal moments of my life.

AWESOME! Congrats...Free food on everyday except Sunday!

I did this at a Timberwolves game once. I made the lay up and free throw and got a sweatshirt, hat and t-shirt and got booed off of the floor! Also very surreal. :D

guy plays with chris paul and josh howard and yet they beat duke and he storms the court like a little school girl. ahhh college hoops. :hi5:

That's a great story, Head in a Suitecase.

And zoney, that's unfortunate. Maybe they were saying Boo-urns.

i've yet to get picked... that's 'cause they know i'd be straight buckets :hi5:

Playing college ball probably would automatically disqualify you from such a contest.

Impy's a hippie pothead :) They apparently want to sign you up, wait 'til they find out you're no A&M fan :wink:

And ooh lookie, a 10th straight win for UConn. Life is good. The way Austrie is going when/if Dyson gets reinstated he'll be coming off the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom