It's a college basketball thread...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tournament has been great so far. So many close games. I'm also happy because im in first in my pool.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

i had 'em in the final four as well... i hate myself for doing so.

me too...damn...picked with my heart....gets ya every time:(

Having a murdered bracket does give me the flexibility of rooting for upsets non-stop.

I really do not like Memphis.

Ok, rant time. What in the world happened to basketball? What happened to stopping the ball in the lane? I don't mean blocking the shot into the 10th row. I mean stepping in so the shot is altered or there is no shot at all because the person with the ball is shut down? What happened to boxing out? Athleticism doesn't get you rebounds! Guess what, you won't out jump everyone anymore. This ain't high school! Get a body on someone and keep 'em off the glass! What happened to teamwork!

Ok, I'll stop there because that last one was me pissed off at Memphis. Lots of athleticism...but man do they go one on one a LOT!

Headache, when you coach, do you have your kids force the ball to the middle? Or do you force it baseline?

phillyfan26 said:
Having a murdered bracket does give me the flexibility of rooting for upsets non-stop.

Bingo. Since I picked UConn to go all the way I think I'll just kick back and hope Villanova wins it all.

I've got Wisconsin in the final four. I think they can contain curry and end Davidsons run.

I think Memphis's offense looks like its one on one because it desgined for alot of driving the ball to the net. They drive it in and kick the ball out for open shots. My only complaint about them is their poor free throw shooting. They could have dropping that game today by missing free throws down the stretch.

Over on this poker/gambling site I frequent, some guy has been giving updates on how his five different brackets have been doing.

Needless to say, he is being pilloried mercilessly.

it was hard to watch any games after this on saturday night. no call on the last play of the game.

37063269.jpg

532752.jpg

That's what happens when you play UCLA in Anaheim. However, I thought they should have tried to find someone open for a 3, because I don't think there was any way they were going to win in OT.

jphelmet said:
it was hard to watch any games after this on saturday night. no call on the last play of the game.

37063269.jpg

532752.jpg

did he get fouled? obviously.

do i hate refs? obviously.

but to be fair, in late game situations like that refs usually go by the "he has to be absolutely friggin hammered to get a foul call out of me" theory. in this still photo, he looks like he got hammered. in full speed, it looks like maybe he got fouled, maybe he got blocked. refs don't have the ability to see instant replay and/or still photography.

there is no grand pro-ucla right wing conspiracy involved here. just a bad call. it happens.

While I agree on that particular play it's understandable for people to be a little peeved when you factor in recent ref-related events involving UCLA.

did he get fouled? obviously.

do i hate refs? obviously.

but to be fair, in late game situations like that refs usually go by the "he has to be absolutely friggin hammered to get a foul call out of me" theory. in this still photo, he looks like he got hammered. in full speed, it looks like maybe he got fouled, maybe he got blocked. refs don't have the ability to see instant replay and/or still photography.

there is no grand pro-ucla right wing conspiracy involved here. just a bad call. it happens.

i in no way think there is a conspiracy, i was a ref for 5 years and loads of calls are missed in every game. this play though, he was tackled, and was enexusable. it certainly fell into the he "got hammered" category. you can tell by the way he gets thrown to the floor. the official under the basket had almost the exact same vantage point as the photographer.

had that been collison driving he would have shot free throws because of the influence of the crowd.

i do feel for ucla players (not as bad as for the a&m players though), its not their fault the officials blew the call. they have to hear this over and over and then everyone brings up the other games in which they won with horrible calls.

overall it was an awful officiated game, both ways. the allowed two defensive minded teams to get into a physical battle, and then didn't know where to draw the line. kevin love gets credited for 7 blocks, when 4 of them he almost took a guy's head off.

jphelmet said:

i in no way think there is a conspiracy, i was a ref for 5 years and loads of calls are missed in every game. this play though, he was tackled, and was enexusable. it certainly fell into the he "got hammered" category. you can tell by the way he gets thrown to the floor. the official under the basket had almost the exact same vantage point as the photographer.

had that been collison driving he would have shot free throws because of the influence of the crowd.

i do feel for ucla players (not as bad as for the a&m players though), its not their fault the officials blew the call. they have to hear this over and over and then everyone brings up the other games in which they won with horrible calls.

overall it was an awful officiated game, both ways. the allowed two defensive minded teams to get into a physical battle, and then didn't know where to draw the line. kevin love gets credited for 7 blocks, when 4 of them he almost took a guy's head off.

i feel dirty for even trying to defend a referee because i despite them all with every ounce of hatred in my body, but i've seen a guy get sent to the floor like that on an absolutely 100% clean block tons of times. normaly when the shot is blocked with that much force that the player ends up on the floor it results in a jump ball. in this situation, at full speed i can't say that this goes under the category of "hammered." the ref's position is not exactly the same as the photographer's. you don't need to see the video to see that... if the ref and photographer had the same perspective, the ref would have blocked the photographer's view. 2 feet is huge when you're talking about wether a player's body blocked the ref's view of a foul. if you watch the undedited raw video you can even see the ref making the signal that the ball was tipped as he runs down the floor after the block/no call. no trail official in their right mind is going to make that call over the baseline official. should they? yes. will they? no.

he was fouled, they missed the call. happens all the time. there was a play in the first half where an a & m player literally threw a UCLA player to the ground and the foul was called on UCLA. bad call, nothing more. this entire idea that there's some sort of UCLA conspiracy because of a few calls they've gotten is as ludacris as when the colts complained about the patriots getting calls.

refs suck... period. but these refs let them play the entire game, which in a game of this magnitude with these kind of games, if htey hadn't let htem play instead of complaining about this we'd be hearing about how the refs tried to controll the game by calling so many fouls. it's a no win situation, you just hope that they get it right when it counts. this time, they didn't.

but it's not as if a & m wins the game if the call is made. IF they make the call and IF they make both free throws, the game is still tied and UCLA has plenty of time to get a good shot going the other way, and if they miss they still have OT.

ok i'm done for now.

refs suck... period. but these refs let them play the entire game, which in a game of this magnitude with these kind of games, if htey hadn't let htem play instead of complaining about this we'd be hearing about how the refs tried to controll the game by calling so many fouls. it's a no win situation, you just hope that they get it right when it counts. this time, they didn't.

but it's not as if a & m wins the game if the call is made. IF they make the call and IF they make both free throws, the game is still tied and UCLA has plenty of time to get a good shot going the other way, and if they miss they still have OT.

ok i'm done for now.

i agree with everything you are saying. the way they let them play, though was pretty bad.

not saying its a conspiracy, but when jay bilas sitting courtside says its the worst officiating he has ever seen then there is a problem. he also made the comment that the foul on the last play was obvious from where he was.

my biggest complaint is that he was fouled by three people on the play. none of them got a clean block. there is no way the official cannot see the contact when three different people hit the guy. its one thing to say he view is obscured, from one of the guys, but all three? the way he got clobbered the trailing official should without a doubt called that.

fwiw i don't think a&m wins the game, but its one thing to have a chance as opposed to have your season ended on the worst no call is awful.

jphelmet said:
but when jay bilas sitting courtside says its the worst officiating he has ever seen then there is a problem. he also made the comment that the foul on the last play was obvious from where he was.

jay bilas is also a douche who, if you go on youtube and listen to the raw unedited video made absolutely no comment about the play being a foul when seeing it in real time... he only commented on how it was such an obvious foul later on, after seeing the replay.

neither announcer made a comment on a foul, or a no call, or anything else other than that UCLA won with defense.

Refs in this tournament are among some of the best in the world. They're still human though. UNC and UCLA win a lot of game because they are better than most teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom