Incredible sports moments you have seen.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay canseco

War Child
Tom Watson is now leading the British Open for the third straight day. In 2009. At the age of 59.

This got me wondering about other great moments in sports that you may have seen either in person or on television.

Please elaborate! :up:

I saw Kevin Millwood throw a no-hitter at the Vet in 2003.

I was watching live during the Pacers-Pistons brawl.

I saw the Phillies win the 2008 World Series.

To list the amazing sporting events I've seen on Television would take forever.

In person:

Saw the Yankees win the 1996 (Game 6) and 1998 (Game 4) World Series. Also, have been lucky enough to have attended numerous Yankee playoff games from 1995-2003. Not all were wins, to be sure, but the wins were all mostly exciting games.

Saw the Steelers just win the Super Bowl.

Saw an incredible longshot, Mine That Bird, win the Kentucky Derby a few months ago.

Saw Tom Seaver win his 300th game in Yankee Stadium on Phil Rizzuto day.

Saw the last game ever at Yankee Stadium last season, as well as the All-Star game they hosted last season.

Was at the first ever games at Safeco Field, PNC Park and the new Yankee Stadium.

I've also been to a few Rose Bowls, the Final Four, some NBA and NHL playoff games, etc, but none of those really provided historic moments, they were just fantastic to attend.

Oh, and I was there at MSG when Bobby Backlund lost his belt to the Irok Sheik! :)

There are so many moments to choose from! That's why we watch sports and attend games! Your greatest sports moment could come at any time.

For me, I'd have to rank the 2001 Diamondbacks World Series win. I watched all games including the tough losses in New York. Some say the Diamondbacks bought that series, but in professional sports, who doesn't?

There are so many moments to choose from! That's why we watch sports and attend games! Your greatest sports moment could come at any time.

For me, I'd have to rank the 2001 Diamondbacks World Series win. I watched all games including the tough losses in New York. Some say the Diamondbacks bought that series, but in professional sports, who doesn't?

Probably my worst sports attendance moment. I was at all 4 games in the desert, and of course the Yanks lost all 4, including the devastating Game 7 loss. That was a horrible walk to the car/drive back to LA.

Seeing Florida State beat Boston College in Boston when they were ranked #2 was a blast.

And the entire Magic playoff run was unbelievable.

Apart from that, not too much.

In person, my list would be:

- Millwood's no-hitter.
- First night game at Citizen's Bank Park.
- A Sixers playoff win back in the Brown/Iverson Era.

I also went to a Phillies doubleheader once where one of the games ended in a walkoff win, so that was a pretty cool moment too.

In person, seen a no-hitter, Carl Lewis win a couple of his record number of golds at the '84 Olympics, some Laker moments, and most of the pre-steroid NL greats of baseball in the 60's. Mays, Aaron, Clemente, Stargell, F. Robinson, Banks, Williams, Gibson, Koufax, Drysdale, McCovey, Rose, Cepeda, etc....

One lasting image:
The Dodgers only televised Giant games from SF in those days. A moment I'll never forget (though it was only on tv) was one of the all-time great brawls in a heated pennant race game featuring two teams that truly hated each others guts, a rivalry going back to their New York days.

With Koufax vs Marichal.
Here's a nice pic:

Marichal%202.jpg

Koufax on the left, Marichal #27. Roseboro staggering from the blow from Marichal's bat.

I remember Mays playing peacekeeper, bringing a towel to help the bleeding Roseboro amidst mayhem going on all around.

Was at the game when Damien Mori scored what was then the fastest goal in football/soccer: 3.69 seconds after kick off for Adelaide City in 1995.
YouTube - Damien Mori's 4 second goal

Also saw George Best play. OK it was in 1989 and it was a charity match in the northern suburbs of Adelaide and he lumbered around and kicked the ball about 3 metres about twice. But it was George bloody Best!!!!!

Well, I saw the Bulls win when Michael Jordan hit that game winner vs. the Jazz. You know, the one where he pushed Bryon Russell...but that was on TV.

My most memorable sport moments are these.
1. I was at Wrigley in right field sitting next to one of the drunkest polish man I have ever seen. (I've been to many Cubs games and I have seen many a drunk Polish man). Reuben Quevedo was pitching and walked the first 3 batters he faced. I purposefully wore a bright orange shirt to the game so Sammy Sosa would better see me. After the third walk, there was booing and after it all died down, I stood up and yelled, "HEY SAMMY! CAN YOU PITCH??" He turned, looked at me with a smile and did his chest bump twice and pointed up at me. :D

2. I was at Central College playing basketball with my friend Kyle Korver. I got the rebound, passed it up to Korver, he passed it back to me, and I passed it back to him. He scored the layup. The Central College basketball coach exclaimed, "that was the best fast break I have ever seen." Kyle Korver gave me a high five. Kyle Korver is making millions and I have no job.

So, not really great moments in sports history, but still good times for me.

Great sports moments are those that really mean something to you. GP, those are great sports moments!

I don't see why TV viewing shouldn't count. How many of us are lucky enough to actually be at the sporting event, with all there is on tv now?

Great sports moments are those that really mean something to you. GP, those are great sports moments!

I don't see why TV viewing shouldn't count. How many of us are lucky enough to actually be at the sporting event, with all there is on tv now?

They should count, but like I said, my list would be fairly long if I counted what I've seen on TV so I stuck to in-person.

I was at this match and even though it was against my team it was pretty spectacular when this flew in -

watch

Voted the BBC's Goal of the Season.

The answer is yes....so says the overly optimistic Cubs fan who will always say "this year is the year" no matter who is on the Cubs' roster.

Ooo, NSW you have forced me to change my answer to..."it hasn't happened in my lifetime yet..." Go Cubs Go!

On television:

-Dennis Martinez perfect game against the Los Angeles Dodgers on July 28, 1991
-1993 Montreal Canadiens Stanley Cup-clinching game against the Los Angeles Kings
-1995 San Francisco 49ers Super Bowl victory
-last hockey game at the Montreal Forum on March 11, 1996, with an 10-minute standing ovation for Maurice Richard after the game
-Saku Koivu's first game back after battling non-Hodgkin's lymphoma on April 9, 2002, with an eight-minute standing ovation from the fans
-Italian national soccer team winning the World Cup on June 6, 2006

In person:

I haven't been to many sporting events where anything of note occurred, but the most memorable for me was on Feb. 23, 2008 when the Montreal Canadiens retired Bob Gainey's number 23. Real classy ceremony for a real classy gentleman.

*Doesn't count as a real sporting event, but I went to the Molson Centre to pay my respect to Maurice Richard as his body lay in state at centre ice. Almost 150,000 people came to pay their respects that day, and it was done in a very peaceful, orderly fashion. I've never been more proud to be a Montrealer than on that day in May 2000.

Worst moment in person:

-last homestand for the Montreal Expos in September 2004. :sad:

In person:

I haven't been to many sporting events where anything of note occurred, but the most memorable for me was on Feb. 23, 3008 when the Montreal Canadiens retired Bob Gainey's number 23. Real classy ceremony for a real classy gentleman.

Why did the Habs wait over 1,000 years to retire Gainey's jersey?

And had the Cubs won a World Series by then?

And were people still bitching about U2's set lists?

In person...:hmm:....I was at the Coliseum when Bo Jackson hurt himself and his career was over. I believe they were playing against the Bengals.

I'm only going to go with stuff I've seen in person since everyone can watch something amazing on TV:

Some Rangers game earlier in the decade I saw a triple play started by Kenny Rogers. Only one I've ever seen in person.

I was at the game in 2006 when Dirk dropped 50 on Phoenix in the Western Conference Finals.

2005 Big XII Championship game was a de-pantsing of Colorado, but seeing Vince and everyone else walk around postgame with roses between their teeth was awesome and a sign of things to come. That was also my first Texas football game.

Texas/Tech in Lubbock in 2006 when the Horns went down by 21 in the first quarter only to come back and break the hearts of everyone in the stadium except me.

The first game after becoming #1 this past football season when Mizzou came to town and Texas proceeded to beat the piss out of them. I've never heard DKR that loud.

An NHL Playoffs game in 2003 between the Stars and the Ducks that went to five overtimes.

And most recently I was at the longest game in college baseball history, 25 innings against Boston College in the regional.

Australia v Uruguay World Cup qualifier in 2005, when Australia qualified for the football World Cup in Germany.

Not my video, but it was pandemonium in the stadium when the final penalty kick went in.

YouTube - aloisi penalty

For me, will never be beaten.

Back
Top Bottom