Euro 2012 thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It probably doesn't make a huge difference in the end, but I don't understand why teams don't stack all their best penalty shooters in the front. Is the #5 spot really that much more pressure than the first four? And if so, why not put your best guys in the first four spots and minimize the chance that the #5 spot ever comes up?

I'd say the pressure is greater on those in the later spots if before one or two shooters missed as it could all be depending on you (think of Schweinsteiger in the CL final). But number 5 spot, on the other hand, is rather late.

I'd say the pressure is greater on those in the later spots if before one or two shooters missed as it could all be depending on you (think of Schweinsteiger in the CL final). But number 5 spot, on the other hand, is rather late.

Which is why I'd rather put all the best shooters in front to try to get ahead. Put the pressure on the other team if at all possible.

Which is why I'd rather put all the best shooters in front to try to get ahead. Put the pressure on the other team if at all possible.

Yes, also a good strategy. On the other hand, e.g. Ronaldo missed in the semi-final against Bayern. I think he was second shooter.

8 hours 45 min to go...

I've a feeling that this is going to be the best match of the tournament.

Agreed, most finals are shitty... To much safe playing , ball possession etc.
I hope and think this is going to be a great neck to neck game.
With, some nice goals in the first 90 mins.

Tanooki-Mario.jpg

Yep... not heading where it should be heading..

That Balotelli is some dude.

He is great, even though he started for Schalke and now plays for Bayern. Nobody's perfect.

It was a poor performance. They didn't have the self-esteem in their play, once again. The first goal was unfortunate, but not the end of the world. After the second it was clear they wouldn't turn it around.
I hate our media, as well. Even before it was clear we would play against Italy they started writing daily about how the Italians are unbeatable for a German team, that historically we always fail, why our team would probably also not be up to par, and in every interview players were asked whether they were afraid of the Italians for all these reasons etc. Great way of building morale!

Oh well, 2014...

That German team is softer than I've ever seen ANY German team and I've been watching this game since the 1970 World Cup.

I feel sorry for the Germans but Löw just didn't have the right hand when it came to selecting the players for this game. The defense really wasn't great and they wasted every chance that the Italians gave them. The Germans seemed to be nervous, their tactics just didn't pay off. The game showed that it's better to play with passion and courage than only with tactics. I wonder if the attitude will change within the next 4 years until the next tournament.
Sorry to see them fail once again at that stage of the tournament, but Italy's victory was just fair and totally deserved.

I hope now the Italians will win this
but, to be honest, the way they weren't able to put the match completely out of Germany's reach in the 2nd half (unbelievable they didn't score at least 2 more goals) makes me wonder whether they have what it takes

a lot will depend on Mario, that's for sure

He is great, even though he started for Schalke and now plays for Bayern. Nobody's perfect.

Did Man Utd ever put in a serious offer for him? Hard to believe they'd have gotten outbid if they really wanted him, and they probably would have won the Premier League with him instead of David De Gea.

There were rumours and Ferguson came to watch a number of games. He also made some comments after the CL matches against Schalke which were interpreted in such a way. But in the end it all seemed rumours, officially there were never any offers announced.

Well that was over quickly. Spain scores 2-0 in the first half, and now Italy used their 3 switches and Motta crashes within minutes. 10 vs 11, total lost match.

That was very painful indeed. But Spain deserved to win, they simply played better.

And disgrace how Balotelli ran off right after. :rolleyes: Child.

Yeah I agree that Spain deserved to win. But Italy was not in good shape, and had a stroke of bad luck. Oh well.

So lame that Torres backdoored his way into the Golden Boot.

Back
Top Bottom