College Football 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My school had a gambling issue in 1995 in what has to be considered the lowest point in the history of the university.

Jameis' point shaving allegations come from a source named Incarcerated Bob.

Sideshow_Bob_Again.png

Oh.

Ok. It might be because it's more fresh in mind but I was thinking the Sandusky scandal was the lowest point. But again, it's so recent that it might sway my opinion a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It has nothing to do with time. That will always be the lowest point in Penn State history.

Pretty brutal loss for LSU after recovering that late fumble in the red zone. Game should have been OVAH.

I learned that it's totally OK to shove a receiver out of bounds if SEC refs are calling the game.

Even a Miss loss might be ok. It seems like the there's about as bad a bias against teams from Mississippi as teams from the Big XII this year.

I did not think so many people would take me seriously when I said Mike McQueary throwing a garbage time touchdown to cover the spread against Rutgers in 1995 was a worse scandal than the Sandusky scandal, but here we are.

I did not think so many people would take me seriously when I said Mike McQueary throwing a garbage time touchdown to cover the spread against Rutgers in 1995 was a worse scandal than the Sandusky scandal, but here we are.

Oh. I guess my sarcasm meter wasn't working yesterday. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Maybe because, on a regular basis, you treat the Sandusky scandal like it wasn't a big deal.

I have expressed my displeasure at the sanctions that were placed on the Penn State players, but I don't see how that equates in any way to acting like the scandal wasn't a big deal. It was rather all-consuming for someone who lived in that town and went to that university at the time.

I don't want to fight about this again, sorry that I was snarky there, I apologize, sincerely. I do sometimes feel like, in an effort to express that you don't like the sanctions that were handed down, you inadvertently downplay the severity of the scandal. That's just my personal perception of the whole thing.

I think I got to a point where I was talking to so many people so frequently about it that some things were understood, which is why I've probably glossed over, in here, the full range of thoughts and emotions that have gone into the whole thing. I also experienced the weird dichotomy of constantly being on the defensive both when talking to people from outside Penn State (because clearly I must not appreciate the severity if I am trying to argue against the sanctions) and when talking to people from Penn State (because I thought Paterno deserved to get fired and clearly had bought into a media-constructed narrative perpetuated by people who did not have the inclination to fully understand the complexities of the situation as laid out in the various reports).

I spent some time refusing to talk on this forum at all about the scandal because when the sanctions came down the response to my defense was so dismissive and snarky from some people that I was going to get myself banned from the forum (I think the straw that broke the camel's back was someone saying "Welcome to the real world" when I was trying to explain the unnecessary collateral damage that would occur if the death penalty was handed down). So, that too contributed to me probably not having my full views articulated.

I guess I'll just say rest assured that I have an immense understanding and respect for the evils that went on at Penn State. While I fundamentally disagree with the idea that Penn State had or has a culture problem that is so far gone that it would enable something like this, there is still a tremendous feeling of guilt that hovers over everything that occurs. Standing in that stadium knowing that there are some people around me celebrating the same team who lack that respect and understanding of what happened bothers me. I don't want to go into too much detail but it's still on my mind all the time three years later.

I just read through the Penn State scandal thread and now I'm angry again so I'm going to stop now.

I totally appreciate and respect that, Peef, and I 100% would never blame any average joe student for what happened. Again, I'm sorry I brought it up, but I appreciate you articulating your thoughts, anyways. I very clearly understand your position, and I realize it's a very tricky situation.

Your Frogs won me some $$$ on Sat night, 212. I'm hoping they push one of the SEC teams out of the playoff.

At this point, all they have to do is win. One of the teams in front of them has to lose. #1 and #4 play next week.

The wrench in the works, of course, is Baylor. Technically, they are better than us, since they won that travesty of a game. Not sure how they're going to handle that, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I'll rest easier of KState can take care of them, or even OSU.

Of course, we could lose a game, I'm especially weary of the game against Texas.

Back
Top Bottom