College Football 2008

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beat badly???? I'll be the first to say that they looked terrible but losing by 6 does not mean a USC or any other team was beaten badly...'SC has lost 5 games in the past 2006...they've lost by a total of 20 points across those 5 games...

2006 - losses to Oregon State by 2 and UCLA by 4.
2007 - losses to Stanford by 1 and Oregon by 7;
2008 - loss to Oregon State by 6...

The only surprise loss of the above is the Stanford game where 'SC was favored by 42+; any team can walk on the field and get it handed to them but these scores don't reflect 'SC ever getting "beat badly".

Sorry, but you were beaten up on both sides of the line, that is what I was talking about. The score was close, but I hadn't seen USC get dominated in the trenches like that before.

They are still a good team, but the point I was trying to make is any team has a chance these days.

I'm still pretty down on Ferentz. Iowa never seems to play at full speed in every game. Too much talent and little to show for it. He needs to go. Iowa isn't going up with him anymore.

I guess we'll see. During their 3 game losing streak I was pretty much ready to see him go. There is some decent talent, but for whatever reason it wasn't clicking.

They have beaten two bad teams in IN and WI, but at least they've beaten them pretty good. It wasn't a 13-9 or something close.

This is still a big year for KF. They are sitting at 5-3, have perhaps the best RB in the country (Shon Greene), and the team has some momentum. If Iowa can finish 8-4, or even 7-5, that is an improvement over last year.

The team is playing with more fire this year, it's just too bad the coaching staff had to mix/match the QB situation which cost us at least one game.

It's not going to get any easier next year, with Michigan and OSU coming back on the schedule.

It's always great going to Tallahassee and seeing a Florida State win. Here's to hoping they break the seal from mediocrity to greatness soon.

AP Top 25

* 1.Texas (65)
* 2.Alabama
* 3.Penn St.
* 4.Oklahoma
* 5.Florida
* 6.Texas Tech
* 7.USC
* 8.Georgia
* 9.Oklahoma St.
* 10.Utah
* 11.Boise St.
* 12.TCU
* 13.Ohio St.
* 14.Missouri
* 15.LSU
* 16.Florida St.
* 17.BYU
* 18.Ball St.
* 19.Tulsa
* 20.Minnesota
* 21.North Carolina
* 22.Michigan St.
* 23.Oregon
* 24.South Florida
* 25.Maryland

View Complete Poll Sun Oct 26, 2008
USA Today

* Texas (58)
* Alabama
* Penn St. (3)
* Oklahoma
* Texas Tech
* USC
* Florida
* Georgia
* Utah
* Oklahoma St.
* Boise St.
* TCU
* Ohio St.
* Missouri
* LSU
* Florida St.
* BYU
* Tulsa
* Ball St.
* Minnesota
* Michigan St.
* North Carolina
* South Florida
* Oregon
* Maryland

View Complete Poll Sun Oct 26, 2008

Bowl Champ. Series Ranking
Rank Team Record Pts Last Week
1. Texas (8-0) 1.0000 --
2. Alabama (8-0) 0.9500 --
3. Penn St. (9-0) 0.8700 --
4. Oklahoma (7-1) 0.8300 --
5. USC (6-1) 0.7800 --
6. Oklahoma St. (7-1) 0.7700 --
7. Georgia (7-1) 0.7200 --
8. Texas Tech (8-0) 0.7100 --
9. Ohio St. (7-2) 0.7000 --
10. Florida (6-1) 0.7000 --
11. Utah (8-0) 0.6300 --
12. Boise St. (7-0) 0.5900 --
13. LSU (5-2) 0.5000 --
14. TCU (8-1) 0.4200 --
15. Missouri (6-2) 0.3700 --
16. South Florida (6-2) 0.3300 --
17. Pittsburgh (5-2) 0.2800 --
18. Georgia Tech (6-2) 0.2400 --
19. Tulsa (7-0) 0.2400 --
20. Ball St. (8-0) 0.2300 --
21. BYU (7-1) 0.2200 --
22. Northwestern (6-2) 0.1600 --
23. Kansas (5-3) 0.1500 --
24. Minnesota (7-1) 0.1400 --
25. Florida St.

It's nice to see FSU back in the ACC driver's seat. As a kid growing up in Florida, I always loved the Noles.

I want to try to get to Lubbock this weekend. Since it's Halloween weekend and the prospect of a long trip to the middle of nowhere, expensive tickets, and having to spend a weekend in the worst city in Texas (Bryan/College Station is also up there) is not enticing, I think I'll take a pass. I'd rather just hit up a bar here with my brethren.

Glad you had fun. That game would've been painful for me to watch, but I'm sure things were pretty exciting over there. FSU is your top choice, no?

Indeed, mostly for the Film School. The first half was pretty back and forth, but the second half was great. I'm sure they'll be playing each other again come ACC Championship game time though.

They've still got to play Georgia Tech, Maryland, Clemson, and Boston College, but the Maryland and BC games are the only ones they should be worrying about, since they're in the same division. Miami beating up on Wake this week was great, too.

And Go Georgia.

Indeed, mostly for the Film School. The first half was pretty back and forth, but the second half was great. I'm sure they'll be playing each other again come ACC Championship game time though.

They've still got to play Georgia Tech, Maryland, Clemson, and Boston College, but the Maryland and BC games are the only ones they should be worrying about, since they're in the same division. Miami beating up on Wake this week was great, too.

And Go Georgia.

I would absolutely LOVE to go to another ACC Championship game, but I have 3 damn finals that following week. You should totally go if FSU goes. Scalp tix, it's much cheaper that way. We had no problem finding tix last year.

FSU has always been a tough opponent. Regardless of how they're doing that season, the Hokies have lost every game they've played since like, the 70s. The exception of course, was last year, lol making it such a big game for me (even though I had to watch it in a bar in NYC with teh bunny). That coach knows Beamer like the back of his hand. Anytime you allow the opposite team only 38 yards in the second half, you know you're on!

The Hokies play Maryland next, and they're 3-1 in the conference so far. So I'm kinda concerned. Then it's Miami, which, *shouldn't* be a problem. This season finishes off with 2 easy games, Duke and UVA. With the current conference standing being 2-2, if the Hokies lose another game, there's no way they'll make it to the ACC Championship.

I've also not yet heard updates on Taylor or Glennon. Both quarterbacks in the 1st half...wtf!

I would absolutely LOVE to go to another ACC Championship game, but I have 3 damn finals that following week. You should totally go if FSU goes. Scalp tix, it's much cheaper that way. We had no problem finding tix last year.

FSU has always been a tough opponent. Regardless of how they're doing that season, the Hokies have lost every game they've played since like, the 70s. The exception of course, was last year, lol making it such a big game for me (even though I had to watch it in a bar in NYC with teh bunny). That coach knows Beamer like the back of his hand. Anytime you allow the opposite team only 38 yards in the second half, you know you're on!

The Hokies play Maryland next, and they're 3-1 in the conference so far. So I'm kinda concerned. Then it's Miami, which, *shouldn't* be a problem. This season finishes off with 2 easy games, Duke and UVA. With the current conference standing being 2-2, if the Hokies lose another game, there's no way they'll make it to the ACC Championship.

I've also not yet heard updates on Taylor or Glennon. Both quarterbacks in the 1st half...wtf!

I went to the first ACC Championship game in '05 in Jacksonville, probably the best of the 10 or so games I've seen in person. If FSU gets there, my dad will probably find tix or something; back then, we couldn't even give our tix away for free, let alone expect a win.

Hah, yeah.

Maryland's been killing it so far, but they can probably take them. The team you really have to worry about is Georgia Tech, and hope they lose to FSU next week and maybe lose another conference game after that. UVA's like Jekyll and Hyde - I wouldn't be surprised if they finished up top or dropped all the way next to Duke toward the bottom.

First play of the first half for Taylor, no less. The third-stringer did a decent job, but FSU had all of the momentum at that point that it didn't make much of a difference.

I'll just go ahead and say it. Okie Lite is a phenomenal team this year.

What a crazy day in college football today. Pittsburgh beat out Notre Dame on a FG in the 4th overtime and the Texas Tech-Texas game just had a crazy 1:30.

The crowd stormed the field twice after the Tech touchdown with a second left and Tech was penalized for it. As a result the Red Raiders have to kickoff from their seven yard line.

ETA: And, it's now over.

:crazy:

What a crazy day in college football today. Pittsburgh beat out Notre Dame on a FG in the 4th overtime and the Texas Tech-Texas game just had a crazy 1:30.

The crowd stormed the field twice after the Tech touchdown with a second left and Tech was penalized for it. As a result the Red Raiders have to kickoff from their seven yard line.

ETA: And, it's now over.

:crazy:

And Florida State was down by about 11, scored, got the 2-pt conversion, made an interception, marched down to the 3, went to score, fumbled, and lost the game.

And to make it worse: Florida and Miami both won. Fuck.

:hyper: TCU :D:D:D I know there not big, but being this high up is really making me happy. I picked the wrong year to quit marching band.

Fuck.

So now there are three other one-loss teams in the Big XII South, all in the top ten, two of which we beat and one of which we were a dropped interception away from dispatching on the road.

Scenario: Tech beats Okie Lite in Lubbock Saturday, but loses to OU in Norman later in the month. Then you've got three one loss teams, each of which beat one and lost to the other in some sort of twisted circle. The team with the highest BCS ranking then wins the division.

Basically, I'm praying to not fall too far in the polls on this one. We just finished the most brutal stretch in program history and were one pick away from coming out unscathed on the road. At risk of sounding like Matt Leinart, I still think we're the better team.

Do the right thing, voters.

And YLB, I saw that FSU ending and cringed. What a stomach punch. My condolences.

Fuck.

So now there are three other one-loss teams in the Big XII South, all in the top ten, two of which we beat and one of which we were a dropped interception away from dispatching on the road.

Scenario: Tech beats Okie Lite in Lubbock Saturday, but loses to OU in Norman later in the month. Then you've got three one loss teams, each of which beat one and lost to the other in some sort of twisted circle. The team with the highest BCS ranking then wins the division.

Basically, I'm praying to not fall too far in the polls on this one. We just finished the most brutal stretch in program history and were one pick away from coming out unscathed on the road. At risk of sounding like Matt Leinart, I still think we're the better team.

Do the right thing, voters.

And YLB, I saw that FSU ending and cringed. What a stomach punch. My condolences.

Same for you, good sir. Tex and FSU still have solid chances though, so that's good.

Texas is #5 in the AP behind Alabama, Tech, PSU, and Florida. PSU's shitty conference and signature win over an also-ran OSU team will hurt them. Florida lost at the Swamp to a horrible team. Tech will lose to OU and possibly Okie Lite. So maybe everything isn't lost, since we've clearly got the best resume of any other team this year.

All I know is my head will explode if we get forced into a USC/Penn State MNC game.

AP Top 25

* 1.Alabama (46)
* 2.Texas Tech (12)
* 3.Penn St. (6)
* 4.Florida (1)
* 5.Texas
* 6.Oklahoma
* 7.USC
* 8.Oklahoma St.
* 9.Boise St.
* 10.Utah
* 11.TCU
* 12.Ohio St.
* 13.Missouri
* 14.Georgia
* 15.LSU
* 16.Ball St.
* 17.BYU
* 18.Michigan St.
* 19.North Carolina
* 20.West Virginia
* 21.California
* 22.Georgia Tech
* 23.Maryland
* 24.Florida St.
* 25.Pittsburgh

View Complete Poll Sun Nov 2, 2008
USA Today

* Alabama (40)
* Penn St. (14)
* Texas Tech (6)
* Oklahoma (1)
* Florida
* USC
* Texas
* Oklahoma St.
* Utah
* Boise St.
* TCU
* Ohio St.
* Missouri
* Georgia
* LSU
* BYU
* Michigan St.
* Ball St.
* North Carolina
* Georgia Tech
* Maryland
* California
* West Virginia
* Florida St.
* Northwestern

Bowl Champ. Series

* Alabama
* Texas Tech
* Penn St.
* Texas
* Florida
* Oklahoma
* USC
* Utah
* Oklahoma St.
* Boise St.
* Ohio St.
* TCU
* Georgia
* Missouri
* BYU
* LSU
* Ball St.
* Michigan St.
* North Carolina
* Georgia Tech
* California
* Florida St.
* Maryland
* Northwestern
* West Virginia

You and me both....I see SC playing either Penn State or OSU (again) BUT they need someone to beat Oregon State in the Pac-10 to meet in the Rose Bowl...

The Beavers travel to Tucson to play AZ and they may have trouble there...otherwise, no telling who gets to the Rose Bowl...

I will not be very happy if Penn State wins out and misses the national championship.

There's about eight teams that are good enough to have a shot at the championship ... hmmm, that sounds like a good number for a fucking 8-team playoff.

Back
Top Bottom