Another 2011 AFL thread - still pretending GWS is all just a bad dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Magpies kicked two in 30 seconds, with under a minute left on the clock. :lol:

Does Sydney realize this game isn't worth 5? This is worse than that Essendon/Gold Coast match.

Nothing can be worse than that Essendon/Gold Coast match, but this is pretty damn mad on its own.

coolian2 said:
try this fucking fixed warriors/sydney nrl game.

fuck it.

Cheating? Is Sydney using autotune?

Nah, seriously, I don't know shit about NRL. My condolences.

The good news is that if I put some money down on this game now and Brisbane pulls out a stunner, I'll be rich! :happy:

Brisbane: $100; Sydney: $1.00

Did the commentator just call me a cracker? :angry:

Seriously, I am not super impressed with these guys. Maybe it's not their fault though that all they can think to say is, "Sydney's making it look easy."

Alright bitches, here we go! Brisbane mountin a comeback, bitches.

Damn, though, the Brisbane bet's down to $50 :(

Well, shame Brisbane forgot to show up for the first half, they clearly COULD have played a game here tonight. Whatever the hell got into them the first half, I don't want to see (hear?) again.

Just thought I'd catch up on the rival codes discussion, since I've got something to admit.

You all know I love my rugby union. The All Blacks will always be the team I love the most; they're about the only team whose losses truly depress me. But as far as favourite sports goes, I ... I ... I think AFL is my sport of choice these days. Maybe I've just been in Melbourne too long, and it's easier to get into the code you're surrounded by and can follow easily rather than a code you have to watch on some shitty illegal Internet stream or else just read a poorly written summary of it. But when I've watched rugby recently, as much as I've enjoyed it, I've just found it, I guess, too slow at times. Especially when Northern Hemisphere teams are involved; free-flowing Southern rugby is quite clearly more exciting than that trench warfare let's-throw-braindead-forwards-at-each-other-until-we-get-a-penalty Northern bullshit that England in particular excel at. But after watching plenty of AFL for the last 11-12 years and with rugby almost non-existent on Aussie free-to-air now, I kind of expect games to be nice and fast. I genuinely don't understand why AFL isn't more popular overseas, at least in cricket countries that have the fields for it already. It's fast, it's intense, it strikes me as having lots of ready-made appeal.

I don't think this is making sense. And maybe when the Tri-Nations and World Cup roll around I'll reconnect properly with rugby and remember why it's my first sporting love. But for now, I'm barely paying any attention to the Super 14 or 15 or 16 or whatever the fuck it is now (I accidentally called it the Super 12 to Charlotte last night, and honestly that's what it always will be to me), while I'm following every goddamn AFL result and on weekdays I'm hanging out for the footy on the weekend and I'm pissed off that for two weeks when I'm in New Zealand next month, it'll be bloody hard to see a game outside some laggy stream. I guess at the end of the day, I'm a guy who equates "exciting" with "fast" (cricket the exception that proves the rule) - it's why I think gridiron is fucking shit, and why I'm keen to get into European handball. Some of the recent changes that have slowed rugby down have irked me, though I think they've largely been reversed now?

As for league? With all due apologies to Ian, I just think it's overly repetitive and waters down union rules. Just now that I'm not some twatty teenager, I don't really care to tell anybody they're wrong for preferirng league. Like what you like. And I think that's why I'm rambling.

(And I'd still rather watch a whole round of NRL than sit through a single game of soccer. Sorry, soccer fans, it's just that nothing happens. See above comments about what I look for in a sport.)

Soccer is popular everywhere but America. Why, you ask? Because Americans like when things happen.

I genuinely don't understand why AFL isn't more popular overseas, at least in cricket countries that have the fields for it already. It's fast, it's intense, it strikes me as having lots of ready-made appeal.

I simply think the reason that AFL isn't more popular overseas is because of the rules, to many who hadn't been living with the game since their childhood it may just seem much too complicated with all the various interpretations of various things. It's definitely not really that straightforward as soccer. (However it seems that Ashley and Traviud have got a good grasp on this game in their short time of following it, which is good. :))

I have noticed that there have been two Australian Rules teams started in Russia in recent times, one by an Australian expat. Little steps.

There's also the case of it being shown on Eurosport (I think it is?) throughout Europe, which at least introduces the game as an alternative to the more popular sports. Something like that. Unlike many supporters, I'm not against the GWS expansion, not one bit.

FWIW, the two sports that are most important to me are tennis and Australian Rules.

We're a fucking disgrace. Why do I even bother with this piece of shit team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom