Another 2011 AFL thread - still pretending GWS is all just a bad dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it is the Showdown, and I do agree to a degree because it is their "Grand Final" and oh I don't really care anymore.

Port can win, but I certainly wouldn't tip them on the road. We're talking riots and rotten tomato territory if Adelaide loses.

Just saw the result. It has no emotional effect on me, my non-interest in football of late is a good thing, doesn't spoil my weekends when we lose. :up:

Love how you're uninterested because your team is losing. Have some loyalty!

Though good fucking christ, what a thrashing. Makes Essendon's snooze through the first half last week look all the more embarrassing.

Well, it is the Showdown, and I do agree to a degree because it is their "Grand Final" and oh I don't really care anymore.

Yet your upset that Cobbler made an offhand remark about the (increasingly) good chances of Port winning next week. Sounds like someone who just doesn't want to admit he's pissed off at his team. These are emotions, you care.

But there is often an underpinning racism in a lot of football writing. Something quite patronising about the tone. Adam Goodes wrote an article just before Dreamtime this year that (rightfully) highlighted and condemned the notion that Aboriginal players are "magical" in some way. Indeed, there is a popular assumption that they are born with "silky" skills, and that they may have exhibited a hard work ethic to become a professional footballer is something that is never addressed, which would rile me if I was Goodes, Natanui or Aaron Davey in particular.

Love how you're uninterested because your team is losing. Have some loyalty!

I am loyal, it's just I'm numb to the pain of losing and it (the result) does not affect my weekend as much as it used to.

Yet your upset that Cobbler made an offhand remark about the (increasingly) good chances of Port winning next week. Sounds like someone who just doesn't want to admit he's pissed off at his team. These are emotions, you care.

I don't know nothing.

Port are even worse than us, you don't need to dig it in, Cobbler. I don't ever remember doing it to you when your team had its losses.

All two of them.

But there is often an underpinning racism in a lot of football writing. Something quite patronising about the tone. Adam Goodes wrote an article just before Dreamtime this year that (rightfully) highlighted and condemned the notion that Aboriginal players are "magical" in some way. Indeed, there is a popular assumption that they are born with "silky" skills, and that they may have exhibited a hard work ethic to become a professional footballer is something that is never addressed, which would rile me if I was Goodes, Natanui or Aaron Davey in particular.

That's what I was trying to get at, cheers.

intedomine said:

Yeah I agree, and that's what I was referring to, Goodes' comments. I guess it just doesn't bother me as much as Bonnie. I certainly don't think there's any intentional racial undertones, I agree there is a theme that runs, but if there are, then that's obviously very wrong.

Post fixed. Stoopid iphone.

I need North, Collingwood 60+, Geelong 40+, West Coast and Hawthorn 40+ for my multi to get up.

Metro radio ad: "there is a huge crowd expected at today's North/Brisbane game" lololol

I'm not sure why it's a shock the North/Brisbane game is good. Brisbane has given a quality game almost every week. They just can't fucking DO anything with it.

Adelaide vs. Port Adelaide.

They are from the same city. :wink: Neither have to get on the road.

I was wondering about that when he told me in the car today that it was a road game. Do they use the same stadium though?

Vlad n U 2 said:
Adelaide vs. Port Adelaide.

They are from the same city. :wink: Neither have to get on the road.

Ooohhh...:doh: Is that a legitimate rivalry? You mentioned it's the Grand Final for Port. Anything to avoid the wooden spoon at this point would be a big deal, I suppose.

It's called the "Showdown", in Perth the battles between the Eagles and the Dockers are referred to as the "Derby". :) I say that it is their Grand Final since in that one game, Port play at least 30% better than they do in their whole season. It's the one game that they seem to value the most, whereas we treat it as any ordinary game and consequently get beaten most of the time.

Oh boy, it's gonna be a shitfest for sure, I kind of hope it rains heavily just to see how bad it would get. :lol:

Hey, anything to get some life out of those sorry sides is refreshing, manufactured or not. Remind me to keep an eye on the gamecast for that one (not sure how they'll keep tabs on it though; it won't be online, tv or probably radio anywhere).

Good God, I'm going to be up until 7 AM for this Blues/Bombers match. Don't let me down, Carlton.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom