Another 2011 AFL thread - still pretending GWS is all just a bad dream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Let your imagination run riot and all.

Kids like us were/are the best kinds of kids. Always the more interesting.

I came up with a fake U2 world tour with wildly varied setlists when I was a teenager. They spent six months touring New Zealand, going to any town with a hall or sports ground that could possibly be a venue. That was just the first three legs of the tour (North Island, South Island, and a dedicated Kapiti Coast leg). I finally got bored around about the ninth leg, somewhere in west Africa.

LIVING THE LIFE.

I think the fact that I have tens of thousands of posts on an Internet forum is quite sad :lol: no offence intended there ax, plus you have a girlfriend.

N00b question: what do the percentages on the ladder mean, and how do they decide placement?

Also, pretty pumped for this Carlton/Geelong game coming up Friday morning at 4:40 AM. My hours are just shitty enough these days that I might be able to watch it.

LemonMelon said:
N00b question: what do the percentages on the ladder mean, and how do they decide placement?

Also, pretty pumped for this Carlton/Geelong game coming up Friday morning at 4:40 AM. My hours are just shitty enough these days that I might be able to watch it.

Percentages are the points for (ie all the points the team has scored) divided by the points against, timesed by 100. Ladder placement is decided on "points" first; Geelong are above Collingwood because we've won 7 games, 4 points per win, giving us 28 points, even though they have a better %. when teams are tied on points (ie they have won the same number of games), percentage is the next deciding factor.

Geelong/Carlton will be a great game.

I think the fact that I have tens of thousands of posts on an Internet forum is quite sad :lol: no offence intended there ax, plus you have a girlfriend.

I don't find it that sad, I still get through life quite fine.

Percentages are basically the For and Against the team has scored, if they've scored more than conceded they would have a percentage larger than 100% and so forth. That's the easiest way in which I can explain.

And yes, the Blues/Cats game should be cracking. :up:

I hate the percentage thing, just for the record. Why can't it just be given as a basic points differential like almost every other sport on the planet? It seems like a needless complication.

Percentages are the points for (ie all the points the team has scored) divided by the points against, timesed by 100. Ladder placement is decided on "points" first; Geelong are above Collingwood because we've won 7 games, 4 points per win, giving us 28 points, even though they have a better %. when teams are tied on points (ie they have won the same number of games), percentage is the next deciding factor.

Percentages are basically the For and Against the team has scored, if they've scored more than conceded they would have a percentage larger than 100% and so forth. That's the easiest way in which I can explain.

Many thanks. :up: I couldn't figure out the point system at first, but I see now that ties are worth two, which is logical. I still find it interesting that in a league in which matches can yield well over 200 points a game can end in ties. The three we've had so far can't be the norm, can it?

I think we usually only ever get 1 draw a year, it's quite a rarity that we already have had in the first third of the season.

re: last page. Dad made these rusty old portable goalposts that we kept in the paddock, where I'd re-enact all my favourite games and come up with ridiculous scenarios like West Coast coming from 100 points down to beat the Crows by 100 points in the Grand Final (sorry, Vlad). I also came up with an alternate universe Gold Coast Budgies team, and the ever-plausible Yorke Peninsula Sharks. Nerdier things followed.

Haha I did the same Cobbler, when I was about 7-9, for a few seasons, ran my own AFL in parallel with the real season. I remember the Grand Final in the first season in 93, somehow ended up being Hawthorn vs Richmond and Brett Allison won the Brownlow. I wasn't smart enough to work out a proper fixture back then, so I swear that there might have been a few instances of the same teams playing each other 4 times a season. I just threw any old matchup down on paper.

Used to play the matches with a balloon or soft Maccas footy in my room, or in the backyard concurrently with the real AFL matches on 7 or on 3LO. What my parents must have thought?

re: last page. Dad made these rusty old portable goalposts that we kept in the paddock, where I'd re-enact all my favourite games and come up with ridiculous scenarios like West Coast coming from 100 points down to beat the Crows by 100 points in the Grand Final (sorry, Vlad). I also came up with an alternate universe Gold Coast Budgies team, and the ever-plausible Yorke Peninsula Sharks. Nerdier things followed.

That's great. :lol:

intedomine said:
I wasn't smart enough to work out a proper fixture back then, so I swear that there might have been a few instances of the same teams playing each other 4 times a season. I just threw any old matchup down on paper.

Used to play the matches with a balloon or soft Maccas footy in my room, or in the backyard concurrently with the real AFL matches on 7 or on 3LO. What my parents must have thought?

Hahaha yes and yes to both of these. I can't remember when I stopped doing it, though it was probably older than I care to admit. I had my own world of sport. Cricket, motor racing, everything. Who needs friends :lol:

I even had my own ARIA chart for fuck's sake. Called the DARIA chart :lol: Roses held the record for most consecutive weeks at #1

I came up with a fake U2 world tour with wildly varied setlists when I was a teenager. They spent six months touring New Zealand, going to any town with a hall or sports ground that could possibly be a venue. That was just the first three legs of the tour (North Island, South Island, and a dedicated Kapiti Coast leg). I finally got bored around about the ninth leg, somewhere in west Africa.

LIVING THE LIFE.

Oh geez, I still do that from time to time. Haven't done one for a few years, but it used to kill a lot of time at work back in the days where I could bludge more so than now :wink:

Haha I did the same Cobbler, when I was about 7-9, for a few seasons, ran my own AFL in parallel with the real season. I remember the Grand Final in the first season in 93, somehow ended up being Hawthorn vs Richmond and Brett Allison won the Brownlow. I wasn't smart enough to work out a proper fixture back then, so I swear that there might have been a few instances of the same teams playing each other 4 times a season. I just threw any old matchup down on paper.

When we went on holidays over summer I'd always buy a note book (no kids not a laptopy-computer thing, an actual pen and paper) and write up a fixture then write out the scores, name all the goal kickers (I only had a running coleman medal, didn't do a brownlow) Did the same for Cricket as well. Would sit down and work out their batting and bowling averages at the end of the series.

Also did the kicking the footy around thing to Rex Hunt and 3AW. Dad often came up and asked if I wanted a kick, usually I'd refuse because I'd be in the middle of playing my own game of what was on the radio.

Best days ever.

Oh I totally did the playing-fake-footy thing ... mine was usually ostensibly rugby (sometimes AFL), though the rules were, well, questionable and owed a lot to both, plus soccer. Did you guys end up favouring some of your imaginary teams and hating others? Because 10 year old me was SO biased and always made sure certain ones won or lost.

Oh, and when I was still in New Zealand, aged around 7 or so, I came up with trampoline rugby. It was the most awesome thing ever.

Cats legend Bob Davis dies | Herald Sun

What a legend he was. :sad:

398978-bob-davis.jpg

Sad news, a shame. :(

Oh yes, now I remember, when I was 10 I did the whole football fixture and how the games pan out and everything. Except I only did the games involving Adelaide and always wrote down the goalscorers and how many behinds they may or may not have had. It was a lot of fun. I had Scott Welsh kicking at least 5 a game (remember him? Used to be my favourite player back then, but he wasn't really even that good :lol:).

Good memories.

I'm just glad I'm not the only person who played sport against themselves.

Some great stories here.. And I completely understand the preference to play by yourself! I made a concerted effort to have my team as mid-ladder, because it would be way too bias (like it was of any consequence anyway!)

I got tired with my own AFL league after two seasons and later recreated a VFA league; can't remember if it lasted a whole season though. I don't think it did.

I also did a weekly top 20 around the age of 10-11, was obsessed with charts and countdowns back then. Lasted about two or three years I think, and had end of year countdowns that were based on a points system, and potential hits. Was pretty awesome actually.

intedomine said:
I made a concerted effort to have my team as mid-ladder, because it would be way too bias (like it was of any consequence anyway!)

Hahahahahahaha me too man! For some ridiculous fucking reason I felt guilty if Geelong were too good hahaha

Scott Welsh was an absolute spud :lol:

Same as Can't KicksleyKent Kingsley

I wouldn't really go that far. He lead our goalkicking numerous years (I know, bare cupboard etc etc) and bagged many bags during that time. But he effortlessly went missing during all those big games. :lol: What are they called again, flat track bullies? Yeah?

Oh god, if only we had a STRONG1!11!!!1! forward line in '05/'06. Now the memories of Ken McGregor (is a journalist for The Advertiser I'm sure) and Ian Perrie (terrific mark but godawful kick) come on back. Memories indeed. :applaud:

Very sad to hear of Bobby Davis' passing.

On World of Sport once:

Lou: Bobby you were celibate for 12 years!
Bob: Yes but then I turned 13!

Tips because I'm studying late for the next two days:

Carlton vs Geelong
St. Kilda vs Melbourne
Port vs Freo
Brisbane vs North
Richmond vs Essendon
Collingwood vs Adelaide
Sydney vs Hawthorn
West Coast vs Dogs

... Why the fuck do I keep tipping the Saints?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom