Another 2011 AFL thread - still pretending GWS is all just a bad dream - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-05-2011, 01:31 AM   #361
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,382
Local Time: 12:23 PM
I swear we are! Last week we played Cook and this week Moran!

Both who've been slipping over constantly and squibbing contests.
__________________

Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 01:54 AM   #362
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,702
Local Time: 12:23 PM
Probably not the best year to be tanking.

Gee Ax, bare bones stuff there! Very interesting, though. Glad that Aussie Rules has grown on you, I have no doubt asked it before but do you think a venture into the Kiwi market is worth it?
__________________

The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 02:00 AM   #363
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,382
Local Time: 12:23 PM
Yeah, definitely not. But it just seems so plausible!

I will be hoping to see Craig resign this week. He's killing this club.
Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 02:02 AM   #364
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
intedomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 8,104
Local Time: 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon
Soccer is popular everywhere but America. Why, you ask? Because Americans like when things happen.
But Americans do seem to like soccer. It's just not anywhere near as popular as the other sports. MLS average close to 20,000 attendances at matches, while many Americans maintain high interest in the elite European leagues.

Aussie Rules hasn't spread because I think it immediately seems a ridiculous sport to most outsiders. And it is ridiculous. But it's the complexity of the sport, the uniqueness of the playing abilities and it's unusualness that, once learned, provokes an undying resonance amongst fans. It's just that (unlike soccer) it is so hard to learn the sport without perseverance, unless you grow up in a footy culture (Victoria, SA Tassie, WA).
intedomine is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 02:06 AM   #365
Blue Crack Addict
 
The Sad Punk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: VEGA INTL NITE SKOOL
Posts: 28,702
Local Time: 12:23 PM
He was quoting Achewood, for what it's worth. I never got the impression that most Americans gave a damn about soccer through media and forums, even though I'm sure that there's a select few that are into it (a select few that's probably a fairly high number because of the country's vast population, but still "few" nonetheless).
The Sad Punk is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 02:20 AM   #366
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
intedomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 8,104
Local Time: 12:53 PM
Smaller percentage of Americans than in most other nations definitely, but that population is massive. They hosted one of the best World Cup's in '94, easily the best attended as well.

I actually attended an MLS pre-season game a few years back and got the vibe that it is the Mexican-American population who are most embracing of American soccer. The domestic soccer scene is their baby, and they are the ones pushing for it's growth.
intedomine is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 03:28 AM   #367
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,977
Local Time: 12:53 PM
Why the hell was the Roos vs Crows non-game broadcast today (seriously, dreadful footy by both sides) instead of what sounds like a very entertaining game between the Hawks and Freo? Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Soccer is popular everywhere but America. Why, you ask? Because Americans like when things happen.
Achewood quote or otherwise, I'd beg to differ, because the reason I'm so hostile to most American sports is that I perceive them as sports where nothing happens. But especially NASCAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
I simply think the reason that AFL isn't more popular overseas is because of the rules, to many who hadn't been living with the game since their childhood it may just seem much too complicated with all the various interpretations of various things. It's definitely not really that straightforward as soccer..
I can see your point, though honestly, part of what attracted me initially and a lot of other people I know is just how utterly crazy it is. Sure, you've no idea WHY certain things are happening, but it's just fast and exciting and total madness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sad Punk View Post
Gee Ax, bare bones stuff there! Very interesting, though. Glad that Aussie Rules has grown on you, I have no doubt asked it before but do you think a venture into the Kiwi market is worth it?
I'm not even sure what compelled me to post it! But it's something that's been slowly dawning on me for the last season and a half, so I guess I had to put words down somewhere and this seemed a likely place. I never thought when I saw my first game of footy in 1997, or even when I really started paying attention for a whole season around 1999, that a sport other than rugby could become my favourite (except maybe cricket).

I'm honestly not sure if a venture into the Kiwi market is a good idea or not. I want to say "OF COURSE IT FUCKING IS!", but that's just because it'd be a dream come true to have a Wellington team to barrack for. It's a small market, and one that I think has had trouble supporting so many rugby teams, an NRL team, and an A League team. I think it could be done though, especially if the team is based in Wellington or Christchurch (avoiding an unproductive battle with the NRL for turf in Auckland, plus Wellington in particular has the ideal stadium for AFL). It would be a medium-to-long term prospect; AFL may have been somewhat popular in NZ pre-WWI, and it may be more widely known now than twenty or thirty years ago, but what we need are more demonstration/pre-season matches and especially TELEVISION COVERAGE. People won't get interested in a sport they can't watch, and it reduces the power of token matches ... or even a whole team. Just look at the Melbourne Rebels - I've heard maybe two people talk about them this season. I've no idea who the fuck is going to those games, because nobody in Melbourne can actually follow rugby on telly without Foxtel, and that immediately excludes 70% of the population.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 03:34 AM   #368
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,382
Local Time: 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Why the hell was the Roos vs Crows non-game broadcast today (seriously, dreadful footy by both sides) instead of what sounds like a very entertaining game between the Hawks and Freo? Ugh.

I can see your point, though honestly, part of what attracted me initially and a lot of other people I know is just how utterly crazy it is. Sure, you've no idea WHY certain things are happening, but it's just fast and exciting and total madness.
The network coverage of games is decided before the season, also CH7 only have the 1:40 timeslot on Sundays.

It really is mad, it still surprises me to this day. The fact that it's so fast and free flowing is what makes it better than pretty much everything in the world. The crowds are usually darn good, too.

On an unrelated note, I'm excited that 7TWO are showing Wimbledon live. Will be a treat.
Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 03:34 AM   #369
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,865
Local Time: 07:53 PM
For the record, I looked into it when I first started following the sport, and we've got AFL teams all over the place. Obviously not huge leagues or anything, but it is a thriving underground community, far as I can tell.

As for soccer, I adore playing the game, can't stand watching it. That being said, I have an awful lot of friends who are fans of the game. No, its not our biggest sport here, but its by no means a dead-end.
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 03:47 AM   #370
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,977
Local Time: 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
For the record, I looked into it when I first started following the sport, and we've got AFL teams all over the place. Obviously not huge leagues or anything, but it is a thriving underground community, far as I can tell.

As for soccer, I adore playing the game, can't stand watching it. That being said, I have an awful lot of friends who are fans of the game. No, its not our biggest sport here, but its by no means a dead-end.
Yeah, I've heard a bit that there are a lot of thriving teams around the US. Though my experience of noting well-developed underground rugby and cricket communities is that it's not that much a guarantee of progress on a bigger level. I think a sport really needs to break out of the underground for a national team (or franchise in a mainstream tournament, or whatever) to really become successful.

And I'm mostly with you on soccer, it's fun enough to play and I'll never say no to kicking a ball around, but oh god watching soccer either live or on telly? No thanks.
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 03:48 AM   #371
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,382
Local Time: 12:23 PM
There's also that AFL "World Cup" that comes around every two years. That's always interesting.
Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 04:12 AM   #372
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,865
Local Time: 07:53 PM
I assume Australia always wins?
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 04:18 AM   #373
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,382
Local Time: 12:23 PM
Australia don't participate.
Vlad n U 2 is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 04:42 AM   #374
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 83,865
Local Time: 07:53 PM
Oh good good.
__________________
bono_212 is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 05:37 AM   #375
Vocal parasite
 
Axver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: 1853
Posts: 152,977
Local Time: 12:53 PM
New Zealand has, I think, always either won it or been runner-up. If not always, then often anyway!
__________________
"Mediocrity is never so dangerous as when it is dressed up as sincerity." - Søren Kierkegaard

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 06:00 AM   #376
Blue Crack Supplier
 
coolian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hamilton (No longer STD capital of NZ)
Posts: 42,934
Local Time: 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
But Americans do seem to like soccer. It's just not anywhere near as popular as the other sports. MLS average close to 20,000 attendances at matches, while many Americans maintain high interest in the elite European leagues.
that 20,000 average would have to be close to the high end for soccer leagues worldwide, i'd hazard a guess.
coolian2 is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #377
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,491
Local Time: 12:53 PM
Interesting last few pages. I too think that Australian Rules Football is the best game in the world. Cricket is the only other sport that comes close to matching it for me, but I never lose interest in the footy.

I can watch both codes of rugby. I think Union is probably the better game. Don't ask me why, I don't watch much of either, but I remember watching the 03 World Cup and getting right into it. But perhaps I say that because Union is truly a world game in the sense that there is a lot of passion for the Wallabies (or there was, until about three or so years ago) and virtually none for the Kangaroos. I love watching State of Origin and I can definitely appreciate a good game of league.

Soccer (I don't care what anyone says, I will never call it football) is indeed fun to play, but I hate watching it for the most part. My main problem is that yes, not much happens. Inte says that a game that ends 0-0 can be fucking brilliant, but I just don't agree. That bores me to tears and it's one of the few sports that I just could not sit and watch for the entire time. World Cup is a slight exemption, as everyone gets into it and there are some damn good skills on display. And I was actually in the States when the world cup was on last year, and let me tell you from my experience, it was pretty huge. Admittedly once USA was knocked out the interest dropped off a bit but it's certainly not an underground sport over there, at least not on that level.

I think the reason our footy hasn't exploded anywhere else is that it's so exclusive; there is no incentive for an American to watch a full AFL game, really, other than the novelty factor. I would support a NZ team but that is at least decades away. As Ax rightly pointed out a lot needs to happen before that's even considered.

I'm frustrated free-to-air aren't showing the NBA finals. I've kept up-to-date with the playoffs but haven't seen five minutes of footage. That is a good game, though I think I'd struggle to watch an entire game if I wasn't doing something else. The scoring is so prolific it can get a little boring.

Gridiron I don't like. Apparently if you understand the rules, it's a good game to watch (I know Bonnie is a fan) but every time I've caught it on ONE it seems like there is 30-60 seconds of play, then the ball will go over the boundary line, the swathes of people on the sidelines erupt in either disgust or delight, and then there is a two-minute break in which the last 15 seconds is discussed. I watched the entirety of the superbowl, and enjoyed it, but the game should not take that long.

I feel bad knocking baseball given that I am such a huge fan of cricket, so I feel a bit hypocritical, but it is a boring sport. I saw the Giants take on the Red Sox in San Fran, and aside from the bitter cold weather, it was ordinary to watch. The game lasted three and a half hours, and I was more than ready to go home after two. Even the atmosphere was not as good as I had been told. There was a game last week between the Cincinnati Reds and someone else, which went for 19 innings. From I think the eight inning to the 18th, there was not a single run scored. I'm not sure if that's considered a good game or not, but how anyone could subject themselves to that, with all the downtime of timeouts, breaks, foul balls, etc, is just beyond me.



Majak Daw says racial abuse from fan was 'quite a shock' | Herald Sun

This was a shame to read. Port Melbourne have a lot of feral supporters, but this is not on. Glad to read it was dealt with appropriately. I'll try and find out what was said when I go into the Werribee offices Wednesday morning.

Not surprisingly, most of the comments here are attacking Eddie for telling a Saints supporter to shut up after he abused Krakouer. "Look after your own backyard Eddie Pies supporters are ferals"
cobl04 is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #378
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
intedomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 8,104
Local Time: 12:53 PM
I think that regardless of the sport (or code), most people are born into following not the sport itself, but a club/team. This could be something inherited through family or simply made logical through geography. Awareness and media coverage is a factor as well.

First and foremost, people are Pittsburgh fans, Juventus fans, Richmond fans or Tampa Bay fans. They don't just go to the game because they are a fan of the sport.

Often when I go to the footy, I sense that most members have a very passing interest in matters relating to anything other than there club. It's the ritual of going to watch the Hawks play ( not merely going to watch a football match) that gets people through the gate.
intedomine is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 07:14 AM   #379
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
intedomine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 8,104
Local Time: 12:53 PM
Bland round of AFL by the way (and not just because The Tiger had the BYE), few matches of interest or memorability, it has to be said. Hawthorn-Fremantle the match of the round, followed by Dees-Essendon, the rest were just routine season fixtures.
intedomine is offline  
Old 06-05-2011, 07:15 AM   #380
45:33
 
cobl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: East Point to Shaolin
Posts: 58,491
Local Time: 12:53 PM
Great call. I think I tend to forget that because I've got such an avid interest in the sport despite my love for the Cats.

I think it's sad though that there's no suburban-ness in AFL today, as inevitable as it was. And the VFL is a pretty sad league, in terms of fan support. You get more people to country football games than you do to the VFL. There'd be about 30 or so people in Werribee that passionately support the club I reckon, maybe less.
__________________

cobl04 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×