2018 World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gump

ONE love, blood, life
This will just be me talking to myself, especially with the US out, but let's do this.

This is my favorite month every four years. There's nothing quite like the World Cup.

Also, wtf Spain, firing your coach on the eve of the tournament?!?!

I will be in Portugal during the final, so really hoping for Brazil-Portugal. It would be all sorts of fun.

Still can't believe we're having a world cup without Holland and Italy. Hasn't lessened my excitement though. The atmosphere looks so great at the stadium in Moscow for the opening game!

deutschland uber alles. got them beating brazil 4-2 in the final and if that happens i win 600 bucks in the office pool. :up:

I love the World Cup, but don't know much about any of the teams. No USA, but I still love to watch .

As is tradition for Australians since 2006 (which we don't mention, Fabio Grosso face up to your crimes in the Hague bitch), I think we will win the World Cup.

Pretty crazy opening game. Sunday league standard really by the Saudis. Hopefully Spain-Portugal delivers. Usually this a 1-0 game of course.

Pretty crazy opening game. Sunday league standard really by the Saudis. Hopefully Spain-Portugal delivers. Usually this a 1-0 game of course.

I guess this time Portugal won't be as defensive as usual against Spain, but we will see with the starting eleven. Some new players have been added after winning the Euro 2016 that could fit particularly well against Spain (Guedes, B. Silva).

Uruguay will probably deliver as well, they have a great team this year.

Egypt/Uruguay would have been a great game with Salah. Such a shame. F&$@ you Sergio Ramos. I hope Cristiano Ronaldo makes you look silly later today.

KSA was so so bad.

i was the office hero today for sharing my stream and putting it up on the screen in client services where everyone could see it :up:

i hope portugal gets absolutely demolished brazil-style in the knockout round because the portuguese here are absolutely insufferable right now with how smug they're still being over the last euros championship and how certain they are that they're going to win this one too. but damn that was a great match. could end up being one of the classics from this tournament.

Drama! I thought the VAR decision was correct though. And then Umtiti has a complete brainfart.

Didn't see it, but these frog-eating French diving DOGS did not deserve to win 2-1. Yet again, Australia is the victim of horrific umpiring.

You don't deserve to win if your inhabitants use the term umpiring.

Also, it was a clear penalty.

The Argentinian defense will be fun to watch throughout the tournament.

deutschland uber alles. got them beating brazil 4-2 in the final and if that happens i win 600 bucks in the office pool. :up:

I have Germany beating Brazil for $140.

Let’s hope our World Cup similarities don’t go the way of our Stanley Cup similarities.

i'm really hoping that if my pool picks end up tanking, that an african, asian, or south american team not named brazil or argentina gets hot and plays until the last weekend in this tournament.

i would be pretty stoked if mexico went far too. i'm so looking forward to watching team canada lose all three games by double-digits when the world cup comes here in 2026.

Absolutely cracking tournament so far [emoji7] best month of sport one could wish for.

Iceland were monumental last night, it really is a golden generation of sorts.
Peru unlucky against Denmark. Both teams impressed.

All the Messi fanboys having a teary. Hope Argentina get eliminated. I think Croatia will defeat them.

I'm knackered, how I'd love a World Cup in my own timezone.

So, clearly FIFA is cracking down on the video because, yeah, it’s easy to criticize that call. Because it’s weak.

However, one thing is clear. It’s a slide tackle from behind. Which, in order to be clean, there needs to be 0 contact. Rough contact from behind... red card. Any clear takedown is a red card from behind. That’s what they call a “dangerous play” even if the result isn’t an injury or even a standard foul. The intention is to discourage slide tackles from behind.

In this particular case, the Aussie defender clearly takes a slide tackle from behind, gets ball, and the offender makes contact.

It’s a foul for sure. And it’s an unfortunate one because it’s in the box. Pretty much the shittiest combination of rules. Slide tackle from behind, even though he got ball first, in the box. Penalty kick. Flaws of the game revealed.

Back
Top Bottom