2018 / 2022 FIFA World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The relative popularity of the sport has little to do with why Qatar is such a bad idea. The size of the country, the fact that it averages 40 degrees centigrade in June, and the fact that they still have to build most of the stadia they need are much more relevant.

As you may have derived from the rest of my post, I wasn't exactly excited about the choice either. For those very reasons, though given their concept the temperatures may not be of that much concern in the end.

In my view it should have been down to the US or Australia, and between the two of them it should've been Australia. The reason is, while both USA and Australia are almost equal bidders, the US already held one WC whereas Australia didn't.

This summer, when the WC took place in South Africa, we had around 40°C here in Europe. And our venues don't even have cooling systems. As far as I know, such temperatures are not unknown to many parts of the US during that time.

As you may have derived from the rest of my post, I wasn't exactly excited about the choice either. For those very reasons, though given their concept the temperatures may not be of that much concern in the end.

In my view it should have been down to the US or Australia, and between the two of them it should've been Australia. The reason is, while both USA and Australia are almost equal bidders, the US already held one WC whereas Australia didn't.

This summer, when the WC took place in South Africa, we had around 40°C here in Europe. And our venues don't even have cooling systems. As far as I know, such temperatures are not unknown to many parts of the US during that time.

Australia would be a perfectly reasonable choice. I'd have considered attending if that were the location.

Qatar, however, is basically waving their hands and saying that they'll magically have all the infrastructure and technology needed in 12 years. Lowering the temperature of a stadium by 20 degrees centigrade is way, way harder than they want FIFA to believe (and I honestly doubt that FIFA really believes it).

No one believed in South Africa, and they made it.

I'm interested in the concept. Sure, it's not certain it will work by then. But in general, it's a very interesting concept, and very relevant for the future either. Not only for Qatar.

This summer, and also in the summer of 2006, when the World Cup stopped here in Germany, we approached mid-30s, sometimes even 40°C. There's little reason to believe that won't happen in future. The Russian city of Kazan, which also is one of the cities for the WC 2018, has experienced an extreme heat wave for two full months. In short, not only Qatar should be concerned about extreme heat and how to make such games possible despite, so should we.
If all goes well, it could mean a boost to a desirable new technology, if it fails, bring lots of water.

do they have to play this thing in june?

there's no way they could move it back or up a few months to avoid the super hot weather?

It would be possible if all other countries moved their leagues' seasons accordingly, plus the international cups such as Champions League, so as not to collide with the World Cup. But then they would have to hold their regular seasons in mid-summer, when the conditions are not all that different for them. In the end, especially for the south of Europe, but also many other countries, and as experienced recently even way up north, it wouldn't make much of a difference. Either it's the national team that suffers (but doesn't if AC works), or the entire league's teams.

Can we all at least be happy that Brazil is hosting the next one?

that can be done no problem.

All the bookies had Qatar as favorites; they clearly knew something.

we should have all known.

I cannot help but feel a little irony when Australia (whom I'd have loved to host it) and the US complain strongly about the WC going to a "non-football" country. Given, it's greater in both countries than in Qatar, but it's still more of a niche in both, their leagues don't matter a bit and the US don't even call it by its real name.

qatar has a league?

i know it's not exactly the same, but when new zealand played bahrain to qualify for 2010, it seemed like half of the bahrain team were naturalised citizens, aka ring-ins. i still can't decide if the bid was just so they'd get automatic qualification for the world cup.

No one believed in South Africa, and they made it.

I'm interested in the concept. Sure, it's not certain it will work by then. But in general, it's a very interesting concept, and very relevant for the future either. Not only for Qatar.

This summer, and also in the summer of 2006, when the World Cup stopped here in Germany, we approached mid-30s, sometimes even 40°C. There's little reason to believe that won't happen in future. The Russian city of Kazan, which also is one of the cities for the WC 2018, has experienced an extreme heat wave for two full months. In short, not only Qatar should be concerned about extreme heat and how to make such games possible despite, so should we.
If all goes well, it could mean a boost to a desirable new technology, if it fails, bring lots of water.

The objections to South Africa were mostly social/economic, not physical.

40 is the average daily high temperature on Doha, not a once-in-a-while occurrence, and the basic thermodynamic problem of moving heat from one area to another is still really, really, really effing hard. What are they going to discover in 12 years about air conditioning that the world hasn't already discovered in the last 100?

i can't believe those dodgy old arseholes awarded the world cup to a country that frowns on blow, hookers and booze.

maybe they all know they'll drink themselves to death in russia and wanted to leave a nasty surprise for the next lot of dodgy old arseholes who are going to take their place.

qatar has a league?

i know it's not exactly the same, but when new zealand played bahrain to qualify for 2010, it seemed like half of the bahrain team were naturalised citizens, aka ring-ins. i still can't decide if the bid was just so they'd get automatic qualification for the world cup.

Don't know, and don't really care. To find a little irony in something doesn't mean every detail must be a carbon copy of each other. In general, there's lots of objections to be found in giving the WC to Qatar, as opposed to countries such as the US or Australia. Still, from an European view I cannot help but feel a little bit amused, even though I of course feel inclined to agree. As I said from the beginning, I'd have preferred Australia or the US.
I think the main reason for Qatar to bid in the first place is that at the moment the countries in that region seem to be in some sort of competition for big international events, and they just want to show off and trump the neighbour country. You can see it with the F1 tracks in Bahrein and Abu Dhabi. It's just bragging and showing its neighbours "See what I can pull off!"

The objections to South Africa were mostly social/economic, not physical.

40 is the average daily high temperature on Doha, not a once-in-a-while occurrence, and the basic thermodynamic problem of moving heat from one area to another is still really, really, really effing hard. What are they going to discover in 12 years about air conditioning that the world hasn't already discovered in the last 100?

Just look at what we discovered in high tech (cell phones, computers, solar panels, you name it) over the last twelve years.
Extremely hot summers in Europe are no longer a once-in-a-while occurrence either. Whether it be 35°C or 40°C doesn't even make that much of a difference. When we had the heat wave this summer, the only sports you could safely do was aquatic sports more or less.
I'm curious how things will pan out. I don't have the knowledge to tell whether it's realistic or not, and if it's not, then we can only hope they'll realize in time to make changes (which I doubt even more).

If it fails, at least you can be sure you won't have to endure another World Cup in that region during your lifetime. :wink:

gump said:
I just realized that I will be over 40 by the time Qatar holds the World Cup. That makes me sad.

I'll be 40 too. Thanks ok, I'll just get a butt implant when the Cup is in Brazil. Hopefully, it'll hold until 2022

Well I hope inte is ok and hasn't self-harmed in any way :lol:

Horrible decision that makes a mockery of the sport and arguably the world's biggest sporting event.

I think the main reason for Qatar to bid in the first place is that at the moment the countries in that region seem to be in some sort of competition for big international events, and they just want to show off and trump the neighbour country. You can see it with the F1 tracks in Bahrein and Abu Dhabi. It's just bragging and showing its neighbours "See what I can pull off!"

so the world cup becomes a pawn in a gulf state pissing contest. it's just...fuck.

So I was watching ESPN... they announced the two new sites as "Russia in 2018 and 'Cotter' in 2020". I wasn't paying full attention to the television, I was on my laptop. I was thinking, wtf is 'Cotter'? Then I realized... really professional journalism ESPN. Glad to know your anchors can pronounce 'Qatar'.

Anyways, interesting decision with Qatar for sure.

So it's going to be 50 degrees celsius, I can't consume any alcohol, I can't be affectionate with a stranger, if I'm gay I can go to jail... What is the incentive for anyone to go? Hopefully Les Murray is right when he says Qatar will fall through.

You will be allowed to drink during the Cup, they already made that clear. Else, how is it different from where you live now? :wink:

its a total disgrace that Russia beat England

Here is why

1. England is the home of football
2. We have all the stadiums
3. Fans that will turn up
4. Developed nation

England wont get the worldcup in my lifetime - i'm 25 but i know FIFA will fuck England off all the time

And for 2022 to Qatar - beyond a joke
Should have been Australia

its a total disgrace that Russia beat England

Here is why

1. England is the home of football
2. We have all the stadiums
3. Fans that will turn up
4. Developed nation

England wont get the worldcup in my lifetime - i'm 25 but i know FIFA will fuck England off all the time

And for 2022 to Qatar - beyond a joke
Should have been Australia

facial_tissue_box2.jpg

while england certainly deserves to have a world cup sometime in the near future, i can't say that russia didn't deserve it.

if australia would have gotten the 2022 bid over the US, i still would have been disappointed, but i couldn't say that australia didn't deserve it.

qatar? they don't deserve it. a completely spineless, political, corrupt decision by FIFA that will likely end up backfiring.

while england certainly deserves to have a world cup sometime in the near future, i can't say that russia didn't deserve it.

if australia would have gotten the 2022 bid over the US, i still would have been disappointed, but i couldn't say that australia didn't deserve it.

qatar? they don't deserve it. a completely spineless, political, corrupt decision by FIFA that will likely end up backfiring.

russia is a bit grim and grey, but they're pretty deserving of it.

2022 should have been between australia and the usa, with the loser picking up 2026. there ought to have been no bad choice for 2022, and instead football has picked up a black eye that i don't think it'll ever recover from.

on the plus side, how much more attractive has brazil become to someone wanting to go to a world cup by not wanting to wait 16 years?

"brazil - the last non-shit world cup for 12 years!"

coolian2 said:
"brazil - the last non-shit world cup for 12 years!"

I completely agree. Tickets are going to more difficult than ever to get for this one.

The more I think about Qatar the more my head hurts. I need to stop thinking logically I suppose. Im American but I would have been happy if Australia got . I thought Turkey deserved a World Cup or Olympics before Qatar IMO

Turkey would have been great if they'd gone for it

The minimum for england will be 2034 - i'll be 48. Not cool.

Apparently for Qatar they are now thinking about moving the games to January. I think the Bundesliga still has winter break the entire month, but I'm not sure about other leagues. And it may collide with the winter olympics.
Couldn't they've thought about it before deciding to give it to that place?

One satire magazine had a picture show where they showed Putin arriving in Zurich with two suitcases, and he made comments to Blatter how little baggage he needed and everything. The next picture was Blatter thinking, "That idiot forgot we had some other guests as well." and showed a long line of suitcases.
Must've been something like that. ;)
For England, Spain and Italy it could cause greater problems, but I think for Germany, too. Even though we have winter break during that time, it would basically mean the players have matches until mid-december, spend the break playing the world cup and then come back to resume the season. Together with Champions League and Euro League games that's a bit much. Thus, all leagues would have to make changes only for the WC to be held in Qatar in January.

Playing it in summer, their concern was, even if cooling down works, the air inside the venues would be pretty dry, which isn't good for the players. Also, temperatures drop from up to 50°C during the day to 12°C during the night, which could make many fans and players, not used to such conditions, sick.

It remains interesting.

MadForIt said:
Turkey would have been great if they'd gone for .

I believe they lost a summer games bid a while back. They would be great.

The way the IOC is choosing host cities, I guess I wouldnt be shocked if Qatar was awarded the next open bid for a summer olympics. :grumpy: Brazil have the the summer Olympics and WC in 2014&2016. Russia have the Winter Olympics and WC in 2014&2018.
I honestly don't remember a country hosting multiple world events in a row like that. Not in my lifetime anyway.

Back
Top Bottom