2018 / 2022 FIFA World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was well looking forward to seeing the world cup come to England, would have been out of this world :sad:

Russia will be interesting I suppose. That's no consolation though. FIFA :down:

Benelux would have been too good to be true. In the end they always choose for the money which is a pity.
England would have been cool too but I think the BBC ruined their chances.

‎1st round: England 2 votes, Netherlands/Belgium 4 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 9 votes

2nd round: Netherlands/Belgium 2 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 13 votes

So Netherlands/Belgium gets 4 votes in the first round then two of the delegates decide to change their vote and give it to someone else in the next round??? Tactical voting? What a joke organisation.

Deadspin comment said:
Bid cities for Qatar: Doha, N. Doha, S. Doha, E. Doha, W. Doha, Central Doha, S Central Doha, NNW Doha, The Surface of the Sun.

No problem with Russia. But MAN. Qatar?

Can we all at least be happy that Brazil is hosting the next one?

i'm down with that

i guess i'm one of the few (if not the only one) who thinks qatar hosting it is going to be cool (no weather pun intended) if they can get those stadiums built.

i'll be watching it from my tv in my living room with the a/c going, i don't really care how hot it will be over there

Good for Qatar.

I'm seeing all this outrage from people here in the States, and I can't help but laugh. Like anybody here really gives that much of a shit about soccer.

It's disgusting that a country like England that had the best bid, who invented the bloody sport and is the spiritual home of football, with arguably the best league in the world, and could host a World Cup TOMORROW, will not have a chance to host the WC until 2030! 64 years! Sickening.

On top of that, England came last in votes with 2! What?! Politics and corruption continues to win, so what's the point in even trying to host a WC ever again? I can stomach Russia winning but........

Qatar? Are they having a laugh? A country with only 1.6m people with no footballing history, that will never have an impact on the sport, EVER, except hosting a mini-World Cup with air conditioned stadia.
What ever happened with the FIFA inspection team saying Qatar is "high-risk"?

My question for Qatar is will they have citizen friendly ticket prices like South Africa did? It being so close to UAE, & Saudi Arabia I can't help but think this will be an world cup for the extra elite. :shrug: I hope I'm wrong

I can think of 3-4 countries that would be more aptly fit the description.

Sorry pal, England is the creator and home of the sport, full stop. Nobody would be playing the sport as we know it otherwise. This is recognised by everyone involved in the game, even by Pele himself.

With things going as they do now, I wouldn't be surprised if politically, by the time of their respective hosting, Russia would be more closed and autocratic and Qatar more open, modern and welcoming. Let's see.

I cannot help but feel a little irony when Australia (whom I'd have loved to host it) and the US complain strongly about the WC going to a "non-football" country. Given, it's greater in both countries than in Qatar, but it's still more of a niche in both, their leagues don't matter a bit and the US don't even call it by its real name.

While I do think their concept to cool the stadiums and also fan areas etc. using solar power, and to give those stadiums to developing nations afterwards is commendable and a very nice idea, I think Australia would've been far more deserving overall. It will be interesting how the whole country will look like twelve years from now. I don't have any doubts about them stemming the project.
What some people seem to think almost more important than the matches themselves, alcohol consumption will be allowed during the WC. ;)

If it's really true that England wasn't awarded the WC as sort of revenge for the BBC reporting on the bribery cases and new allegations, I am lost for words. That'd be plain ridiculous.

I cannot help but feel a little irony when Australia (whom I'd have loved to host it) and the US complain strongly about the WC going to a "non-football" country. Given, it's greater in both countries than in Qatar, but it's still more of a niche in both, their leagues don't matter a bit and the US don't even call it by its real name.

Euro snobbery/ignorance ftw. Anybody know the "real" name of the sport? (Hint: it's two words.)

As if the argument that MLS isn't strong enough for the US to deserve to host the WC weren't weak enough, using a completely invalid and nonsensical argument about the "real" name of the sport as a proxy is even worse.

The name it's been called by in the rest of the world, which actually contains 50% of the entire original one. ;)
And in the big scheme of things, the MLS is not really important in the world of football. Which never said it's not justifying it giving the WC to the US, it was merely saying that there is an irony when some arguments are being brought up against Qatar that are not all that much different to the US (or Australia). As I also said, in general they would have more weight and from a sports point would "deserve" it more, Australia especially since it, as opposed to the US, has never held a WC before.

And further, it was also a bit of a light-hearted comment, as it should be clear that whether one calls it football or soccer doesn't really make that much of a difference.

The name it's been called by in the rest of the world, which actually contains 50% of the entire original one. ;)
And in the big scheme of things, the MLS is not really important in the world of football. Which never said it's not justifying it giving the WC to the US, it was merely saying that there is an irony when some arguments are being brought up against Qatar that are not all that much different to the US (or Australia). As I also said, in general they would have more weight and from a sports point would "deserve" it more, Australia especially since it, as opposed to the US, has never held a WC before.

And further, it was also a bit of a light-hearted comment, as it should be clear that whether one calls it football or soccer doesn't really make that much of a difference.

The relative popularity of the sport has little to do with why Qatar is such a bad idea. The size of the country, the fact that it averages 40 degrees centigrade in June, and the fact that they still have to build most of the stadia they need are much more relevant.

I just realized that I will be over 40 by the time Qatar holds the World Cup. That makes me sad.

Back
Top Bottom