2011 MLB Thread- Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed with NSW - I think it may be a rough transition in the next couple of years, but they've had a great run. They do have a youngish core with Cano, Granderson, CC that should keep them somewhat competitive (especially with 2 WCs starting next year!).

At least their farm system is much better now than it used to be, and I actually trust Cashman not to sell the farm for past-their-prime veterans. Betances, Banuelos, Sanchez and Heathcott all have very good potential, aside from Montero.

Oh yeah. After this season, right? I'm sure they will resign him to another huge contract.

oh i know... there's an entire generation of yankee fans who have literally never seen their team go through a rough stretch. if you were, say, in Kindergarten when the yankees started this current run, you're currently in your mid 20s. that's crazy.
I was in Kindergarten in October 1996. I am 20 right now. But your point stands, it's very impressive.

I wonder why the Phillies aren't considering moving Chase Utley to the outfield.

Utley is coming off a knee injury that is making him very tentative turning double plays because his instinct is to avoid the contact to keep his knee from getting hurt. And turning double plays was his best asset as a second baseman, where he's otherwise inconsistent (he makes great hustle plays often but has never been a great fielder).

Meanwhile, left and right field are disasters right now. Ibanez is done, Francisco sucks, and Mayberry is riding the pine because Manuel hates him. And the only replacement doing well is Pete Orr ... the second baseman. Quick, great fielder, clutch hitter, good gap power ... a great 7-hitter in this order.

It would make a lot of sense to bring Utley back in left field, and they steadfastly refuse to consider it.

When is Domonic Brown supposed to return? From the little I know of the Phillies I'd thin he would probably help improve the offense a little bit, although that's another LH bat in the lineup.

Shitty news for David Wright, by the way.

gump said:
When is Domonic Brown supposed to return? From the little I know of the Phillies I'd thin he would probably help improve the offense a little bit, although that's another LH bat in the lineup.

Shitty news for David Wright, by the way.

Which only goes to emphasize the trade Reyes now before his inevitable injury kills his trade value argument

No timetable. He missed most of spring training so they're taking their good old time with him.

Ibanez is in the last year of his deal. I hope that one more month of shitty play will result in them promoting Brown and platooning him with Mayberry in left or right. Francisco is a decent backup but nothing more.

This has been a long day of baseball... a night where the JJ-Pelfrey start was cut short by some rain ending up in the BP early...

and somehow both BPs have been solid because we're in the bottom of the 10th right now. Gotta love extra innings in a game delayed 1.5 hours.

Hah! Burke Badenhop with an RBI single in the 11th! That was amazing. And left most people speechless.

What an AB considering he's a long relief pitcher with like... 4 ABs lol.

Marlins win :)

Just got done listening to MPR's hour retrospective on Killebrew. Great guy. Great slugger.
I know my grandpa used to talk about him all of the time. I don't think it's a stretch to say that he is largely responsible for the love of the Twins in Minnesota.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
imagine the yankees in another two years when ... a-rod is having hip replacement surgery

I hope you didn't just break A-Rod' s hip, Headache.

Seems to be only a checkup. I just thought it was timely that it came a few days after Headache's comment.

Dickerson was hit by a pitch in an awful way in the top of the 15th. Cracked helmet and a bump in the forehead. Scary shit.

And AJ Burnett pinch runs for Dickerson.

Dickerson was hit by a pitch in an awful way in the top of the 15th. Cracked helmet and a bump in the forehead. Scary shit.

And AJ Burnett pinch runs for Dickerson.

Had to turn off the game after Baltimore left the bases loaded in the 12th. I assumed Baltimore was going to blow the game in some hilarious manner.

Having a reliever hit a batter in the 15th, get ejected and be replaced by Thursday's starter, then having a runner get hit by a batted ball during an attempted comeback was pretty close to what I expected.

Seems to be only a checkup. I just thought it was timely that it came a few days after Headache's comment.

hip problems don't go away. they only get worse.

a-rod's hip will be a continuous issue for the remainder of his contract. if i could place money on him having season ending hip surgery at least once before his contract expires, i'd bet the house.

Having a reliever hit a batter in the 15th, get ejected and be replaced by Thursday's starter, then having a runner get hit by a batted ball during an attempted comeback was pretty close to what I expected.

I was sure Nick Swisher was going to pitch at some point. He couldn't be any worse as a pitcher than with his bat right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom