2011 MLB Thread- Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My saddest baseball day will be the day when he retires. You almost feel like he could be pitching for another decade, but at the same time I know the end is near.

Mattingly retiring was a real bummer for me, doubly so because the Yanks had just returned to the playoffs during his final season. However, his retirement lead to the Tino trade, which also netted them Jeff Nelson, so, who knows if they win titles without Donnie retiring. But yeah, when Rivera calls it quits it will be sad. I hope he goes out before he loses his effectiveness.

Ha, look at this:

A Bomber Dud Tino 'Trade Is Off': No Davis, No Deal - New York Daily News

Posada was almost part of that deal. At the time, who would have cared? They had Girardi and Leyritz. Wow.

Wow. I can't picture Posada in another team.

I wonder if in 10 years we will talk about the non-Cliff Lee/Montero trade in the same way.

If they let Cashman do his job, they won't.

Mariano Rivera does not fuck around. If ever there was a fan-base that's been spoiled as it pertains to one position, it's Yankee fans and their closer. An entire generation of Yankee fans have no idea what it's like to almost puke as they watch their closer struggle to close games. I can remember the parade of assclowns the Yanks had between Righetti (who was no sure thing either) and Wetteland and it was no picnic. We're a lucky pack of bastards in this regard.

i remember when the bullpen consisted of guys like

greg cadaret
eric plunk - both after they were A's
dale mahorcic
steve shields
neil allen

can't remember if they all played together. but this was back when i was in high school (86-90) and early years of college (90-93)

absolute shit wearing pinstripes

I actually liked those two, if/when they stayed healthy. I was more hoping to offend Dave Eiland and Chuck Cary and Tim Leary and Richard Dotson and Terry Mulholland and Andy Hawkins and Dave LaPoint and Jeff Johnson and Wade Taylor and Walt Terrell, etc. :)

Off to Dodger Stadium for Game #3 for me. It aint like watching the Yanks but it'll do.

Are the Dodgers changing any of their security measures? I seem to remember that the parking lot was/is massive and very poorly lit, though I don't know if that contributed to those two Dodgers fans getting away with what was almost murder.

Anyone have a clue what was going on with that rubber band thing during the Cubs/Rockies game? I had the game on mute and turned the captions on too late to find out what the deal was.

Are the Dodgers changing any of their security measures? I seem to remember that the parking lot was/is massive and very poorly lit, though I don't know if that contributed to those two Dodgers fans getting away with what was almost murder.

They've added a ton of portable lighting, and there is now a large police presence, both on foot and in vehicles.

Well this is pretty shitty. The one any only bright spot so far is we're leading the league in walks. Poor, poor Felix. I wonder what a bidding war ala Justin Upton would bring if the name was more Felix Hernandez and less Justin Upton. It would kill 2011 me to see it happen but 2016 me would probably be tickled pink.

Tino and Nelson for Hitchcock and Davis

Mattingly retiring was a real bummer for me, doubly so because the Yanks had just returned to the playoffs during his final season. However, his retirement lead to the Tino trade, which also netted them Jeff Nelson, so, who knows if they win titles without Donnie retiring. But yeah, when Rivera calls it quits it will be sad. I hope he goes out before he loses his effectiveness.

Ha, look at this:

A Bomber Dud Tino 'Trade Is Off': No Davis, No Deal - New York Daily News

Posada was almost part of that deal. At the time, who would have cared? They had Girardi and Leyritz. Wow.
What a terrible trade for the Mariners.

What a terrible trade for the Mariners.

Wow, and reading the article it could have been ridiculously better, but we said no. Sigh. Tons of "in retrospect..." stuff. Most of it from about 2005-2008 for us in my opinion (everyone saying we should pick Tulowitzki... and we take Jeff Clement; everyone saying we should pick Lincecum... and we take Morrow; Erik Bedard trade; Choo and Cabrera for Broussard and Eduardo Perez, etc.). Bill Bavasi was a major league GM who did nothing (!!!) right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom