2011 MLB Thread- Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Color me disappointed. No 2 and 2/3rd innings perfect game watches in here for a Marlins pitcher?

Actually, the joke more goes as my Facebook status:

Not even Seattle fans want to show up to a Marlins 'home game'. Go figure.

That crowd was far worse than any given Marlins Friday crowd.

That crowd was far worse than any given Marlins Friday crowd.

Yeah, roughly 1000 less than the Marlins average Friday night home attendance over the last 2 months. Also, the attendance likely struggled because these games weren't included for season ticket holders, and I struggle to think of season ticket holders who would go out of their way to go to the 3 extra games. At least that's what my season-ticket-holder brother and his season-ticket-holding friends have said.

Oh, I completely understand why the games didn't have a good showing for sure... it makes sense.

You almost exclusively have to buy single game seats, in which case the prices go up in a domino effect as well. Third party sellers who either get discounted rates from season seats or from corporate sponsorship of the team don't have tickets to these games, and therefore everyone is restricted to box office prices and shorter notice for the game.

Oh, I completely understand why the games didn't have a good showing for sure... it makes sense.

You almost exclusively have to buy single game seats, in which case the prices go up in a domino effect as well. Third party sellers who either get discounted rates from season seats or from corporate sponsorship of the team don't have tickets to these games, and therefore everyone is restricted to box office prices and shorter notice for the game.

Exactly. Without the King's Court deal that just started up, I'm pretty sure there would have been many, many less in attendance. But overall this year, attendance here is down. Not terribly so, but down. Which is sad, because we're a pretty decent team this year as compared to past years. Sure, the hitting is ridiculously bad. But the starting pitching has been ridiculously good. I heard on the radio today also that we're the only team left that has only used 5 starting pitchers this season.

No spoken words said:
I was supposed to be at tomorrow's game with 8 HS buddies. Old Timer's Day, too.

:(

That's me above, with the sad face.

:(

Looks like it might rain, though, if it's any consolation.

I'm thinking of taking visiting family to see the Brewers on Tuesday.

Wow. A game-winning run on a wild pitch on an intentional walk? Bravo, Steve Cishek!

Post game interview last night.

Interviewer asking Brendan Ryan about opposing pitcher Anibal Sanchez: "Any comments on Sanchez tonight?"

Brendan Ryan's response, on the radio: "Yeah, he was dirty. We don't talk about him much, but he's really dirty."

:applaud:

Lol all of the Marlins fans are complaining real hard about how the stage U2 Bono is ruining the Miami Dolphins Florida Marlins already really bad good grass.

The Twins' issues are far more than a managerial change will solve.

I'm willing to start there though. I think his emotions do rule the team to some degree. No the injuries are not his fault, but we sucked before they all happened, too.
Or at least maybe fire Rick Anderson. I'm pretty tired of hearing what a great pitching coach he is.

I think part of the problem is that it's a pretty tight-knit organization from ownership and management to coaches and broadcasters. That's great when things go well, but I think there is a lot of hesitation to fix things that don't seem to be working because of the family/friend situation within the organization.

The Red Sox lineup against the Clifford includes Darnell McDonald, Mike Cameron and Marco Scutaro. This will not end well.

Marco Scutaro's got a cool name, though. It's fun to say. Marco Scutaro. It's like salsa. People like to say salsa.

Seltzer or Salsa? (or Kevin Setzer??)

Seitzer had a nice little career. In the probably very unknown game of All Star Baseball (the one with a spinner and player discs?), I almost always had him because his card was based on his stats for his first two seasons or so. And he did very well in those first couple seasons.

Maybe I've just become a cynical douchebag, but I am not shocked in the least that Jose Reyes is healthy and having an MVP season in a contract year.

Can't find a link right now, but there's a decent amount of statistical evidence to support the hypothesis that players tend to overperform in contract years. It's most likely due to them showing up in better shape during the off-season.

Can't find a link right now, but there's a decent amount of statistical evidence to support the hypothesis that players tend to overperform in contract years. It's most likely due to them showing up in better shape during the off-season.

I thought it was the other way around, or rather that there was overall no difference in performance in contract years, but just that we tend to notice those who overperform more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom