2011 MLB - Part III - World Series, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The-BLue-Jays-have-returned-to-visual-glory.png

I fucking love bobby valentine.

He took some mediocre met teams to the playoffs and to the world series. His act wears thin with professional players eventually, but that's because he actually holds them accountable for their actions, something that clearly had been lacking in boston.

He can be my manager any day.

Not a good offseason for international players' safety. Greg Halman was murdered in the Netherlands last night.

so Verlander is the MVP.Comfortable with that pick?I have a problem with it.

He was the MVP every 5 days....period...not for 6 months.

Should have gone to Jose Bautista.

Pitchers have the Cy young.The MVP should go to a everyday player.

Well for what it's worth in terms of contribution to his role, a pitcher contributes 1/5th to his role on his team whereas a batter contributes 1/9th to his role.

Obviously it gets a little more complex than that with relief pitchers and defense and whatnot, but one can easily argue that a pitcher is more valuable to his team in residual runs than a batter is.

A pitcher with 230+ IPs also faces a little over 900 batters. A leadoff batter will have roughly 700 PAs in a season. So I don't really buy the "not an everyday player argument".

That said, there's no way I'd give Verlander the MVP. Ellsbury and Bautista are much more deserving. In terms of advanced stats, Verlander wasn't even a clear-cut Cy Young winner. Greinke had a much better case a couple of years ago.

LUNEDEMINUIT said:
so Verlander is the MVP.Comfortable with that pick?I have a problem with it.

He was the MVP every 5 days....period...not for 6 months.

Should have gone to Jose Bautista.

Are you the guy who just called into yahoo sports radio???

Hitters have the Hank Aaron Award and the Silver Slugger Award. Fielders have the Gold Glove. What's your point?

Those awards that you are mentionning are specific categories in a every day player's game.The MVP is the all package overall.I just don't like the idea a player who's on the bench 130 some games per year being view as equal as a guy who's in the lineup potentially almost every game and being involve in most aspects of the game,offence defence,running,hitting,catching ect...

Lets put it this way ,a team could survive the lost of a pitcher for ,let say 2 months.Thats about 10 starts, which means 10 games.You lost your all star everyday guy for the same amount of time,your post season dreams are pretty much cooked.

Those awards that you are mentionning are specific categories in a every day player's game.The MVP is the all package overall.I just don't like the idea a player who's on the bench 130 some games per year being view as equal as a guy who's in the lineup potentially almost every game and being involve in most aspects of the game,offence defence,running,hitting,catching ect...

Lets put it this way ,a team could survive the lost of a pitcher for ,let say 2 months.Thats about 10 starts, which means 10 games.You lost your all star everyday guy for the same amount of time,your post season dreams are pretty much cooked.

Right... and position players don't pitch. However, half of the pitchers do hit as according to NL rules. By that logic, a pitcher is more of the complete package... which is stupid.

Gold Glove - best defender by position (pitcher included)
Silver Slugger - best batter by position (pitcher included)
Hank Aaron Award - best pitcher
Cy Young - best pitcher
MVP - All encompassing most valuable player to his team, and to the league

A pitcher might be on the bench for 130 games but he very well may influence his team's outcome more than a guy who plays every game. Especially in the case of Verlander.

Right... and position players don't pitch. However, half of the pitchers do hit as according to NL rules. By that logic, a pitcher is more of the complete package... which is stupid.

Gold Glove - best defender by position (pitcher included)
Silver Slugger - best batter by position (pitcher included)
Hank Aaron Award - best pitcher
Cy Young - best pitcher
MVP - All encompassing most valuable player to his team, and to the league

A pitcher might be on the bench for 130 games but he very well may influence his team's outcome more than a guy who plays every game. Especially in the case of Verlander.

Putting pitchers available for the silver slugger category is purely semantic,and you know it.Come on now...

Yes and no... but that has nothing to do with my point that a position player doesn't pitch. If anyone is 'the entire package', it's a pitcher. Otherwise, they're all equal.

And... for reference...

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | CIN@HOU: Willis helps his cause with a solo shot - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Pitchers most definitely deserve silver sluggers if they can directly change the outcome of the game. Usually the pitcher who wins said award will without a doubt make an impact on his team's season with his bat, however small. But as you know, the smallest impacts can make the biggest differences when it comes to being a playoff team or not. The Silver Slugger Award for a pitcher is justified in my eyes.

No matter how you can twist the semantic,at the end of the day a pitcher is judge by what he's doing with his arm.A everyday player is judge with his bat,legs,and defence.

Verlander had a fabulous regular season,but take out Cabrera's bat for 2 months and the Tiger are not playing baseball in October.I know Verlander helped the team when the team were coming off a lost( i think he was like 16 and 2 or something when he pitched after a lost) and his Cy Young was even more deservely so just for that stat,but i still think the MVP should go to a everyday player.

It took 25 years for a starting pitcher to win that award.Even the great Greg Maddux with all of his fantastic seasons with the Braves couldn't won the MVP.It says something.

A pitcher is also equally judged with his glove. In fact, a pitcher just might be equally as valuable as a corner outfielder in terms of fielding, just like your boy Jose Bautista.

Regardless, you can stack up 3 stats versus one and the bottom line is that a pitcher stops runs from happening while a batter creates runs. It doesn't matter whose legs are doing what... if a pitcher is preventing more runs than a batter is creating based off of the average, he's more valuable.

I'm not debating who should've won, but I think your case for the argument is silly.

Who cares about two months? The award is about the entire season. Over the course of the entire season, the pitcher faces more hitters than the batter faces pitchers, as was pointed out above.

And what's this about categories? There's only two categories: offense and defense. Both are covered. They can get awards without getting the MVP, just like the pitcher. The Hank Aaron and Cy Young both cover that. I don't see your point.

Miguel Cabrera should have been the AL MVP. Led the league in average and on base percentage. Over a hundred runs and rbis. And he did it in a park that plays pretty neutral, whereas the other guys who were ahead of him are in extreme hitters parks for the most part.

And the CBA keeps getting worse and worse. Spending limit for the international draft and de facto hard slot for the draft will end the ability of many small market teams to remain competitive. Good job, MLB.

And the CBA keeps getting worse and worse. Spending limit for the international draft and de facto hard slot for the draft will end the ability of many small market teams to remain competitive. Good job, MLB.

It's not in the MLB's best interest for small market teams to be competitive. They don't bring in the money. :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom