2011 MLB - Part III - World Series, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm well aware that it's pretty high risk, but I'm going to try and be optimistic anyway.

of all the japanese players who've come over to the majors, only ichiro has had sustained long term success. none of the pitchers have been able to be anything more than a flash in the pan, usually due to a strange windup.

so yea... i think texas is nuts.

It's my understanding that Yu is the cats pajamas in Japan. Better than Daisuke.

Not that that discounts what you've said.

Well, I think the Rangers should be commended for the ballsy move. I'd rather take a chance with Yu even at that cost than CJ Wilson, for example.

Frankly, I hope it works out for them, if nothing to break the myth that Japanese players can't do well in MLB.

IIRC, the baseball they use in Japan has higher stitches than the baseball used in MLB. Surely somebody out there must have done a preliminary study on its aerodynamics and how much it improves the pitcher's ability to throw breaking pitches, right? And surely front offices must have their own opinions on the matter?

If not, it's very likely that Japanese pitchers are systematically worse than we think, and that conversely Japanese hitters are systematically better than we think.

I wonder how all of this Yu Darvish activity will impact Yoenis Cespedes...

Of course Yu has more going for him considering his league is a bit more reputable.

Japanese players?

6a012875949499970c01287594df7d970c-pi

Logan Morrison is reporting that Prince Fielder is signing with the Mariners? I feel like a question mark is the best way to end that sentence.

With how these clubs are raping teams of their talent for starting pitchers who are really more like number 2 or 3 starters, I'm genuinely curious what Felix could fetch. Probably something like Lawrie, d'Arnaud, Gose, and Drabek. Or Ogando, Olt, Profar, and Martin.

Hah, anyone asking for Mike Stanton is foolish. He's not going anywhere.

Even asking Logan Morrison is something that turns the FO away.

Indeed. But still, Stanton has youth on his side and is showing generational talent. There's no reason to trade him. Even when the value is there and it's a 'fair deal', Stanton is still one of the very few players in the league that remains 'untouchable' to almost all realistic extents.

Indeed. But still, Stanton has youth on his side and is showing generational talent. There's no reason to trade him. Even when the value is there and it's a 'fair deal', Stanton is still one of the very few players in the league that remains 'untouchable' to almost all realistic extents.

Hey, just like Felix!

Not everyone is Felix Hernandez, though. 25 year old ace at a bargain. :shrug:

60 million from 2012-2014 is hardly a bargain. Almost market salary on a per year basis, which somewhat decreases his value (not saying his value is not sky high, but let's not kid ourselves that he is cost-controlled). A guy like Kershaw would undoubtedly fetch more in a trade.

60 million from 2012-2014 is hardly a bargain. Almost market salary on a per year basis, which somewhat decreases his value (not saying his value is not sky high, but let's not kid ourselves that he is cost-controlled). A guy like Kershaw would undoubtedly fetch more in a trade.

He'll outproduce his contract by a couple WAR per year. He'll probably be making less than Lincecum by the end of Lincecum's arbitration.

Red Sox will give Seattle John Lackey straight up for Felix.
Lackey has already won game 7 of a World Series, Felix has not, so its a bargain for the Mariners.

Speaking of which, word has it the Denver Broncos are in talks with the Green Bay Packers in an Aaron Rodgers swap for Tim Tebow. The negotiations went sour after the Broncos FO brought God to the bargaining table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom