2011 MLB - Part III - World Series, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that the Marlins refuse to give the NTC is something that will push Pujols to the Cards. It's like the Marlins already know that at some point they will have to trade off their big contracts, again. Why would Pujols want to be a part of that?

because regardless of who is paying him, he's still gonna get 10 years and 220 million clams.

there's no way that these big signings, reyes and whoever else comes, finish out these contracts as marlins. miami knows this, which is why they can tack on these extra years and dollars... they know full well that they won't be the ones paying the contracts when they're old and broken down. the yankees will be.

just look at how the reyes deal is structured financially... it's completely set up so that the marlins can do their typical stock the team for a few years and then shed their salary before they have to really pay 'em bullshit.

The thing is, I'm sure that the players themselves know that, too. They're not stupid. But in the end what does such a deal mean to them?

#1 Financially secured to a long term contract
#2 Chance to win a World Series

For the Marlins? It's a clever way to sign the player for a '3-4 year deal' while satisfying the players requests for a long term contract. They can play with big money and not spend it. They're basically signing the deal for another team.

I've got to imagine that someone like Reyes is on board with it. You don't sign such a large contract without a single NMC in there and expect not to be traded somewhere down the line.

That all being said, I'm sure if the Marlins do jump out of attendance woes and everything goes according to the master plan, they could just keep what they've got. Who knows... it's a shot but it's possible.

What's with Miami teams signing two players to play the same position?

By the way, the Reyes' contract is structured in a way that actually makes it harder for Miami to trade him. Not sure if many teams would want him on a 3 year, $66 million contract once he is 32 or 33.

I dunno. They're pushing hard on Pujols while they have a formidable 1st base... I'd much rather they go pick up Buehrle and Wilson or any other addition of Oswalt, W. Rodriguez, etc.

I'm still all for Pujols though, just for the hype of it. The attention for the team alone is great.

Sources at the meetings saying Miami wants to get rid of Hanley.

Source? I have yet to hear that, and I wouldn't believe it for a second. Larry Beinfest literally just spoke to the media last night and said 'this is all news to me'.

Although sources on the Pujols front have said the Marlins are out of the race and Jeffrey Loria was pissed off. I now fully believe the Marlins got played hard by Lozano. They were making the Marlins kick up the price so they could take the offer to St. Louis and make them match it. Never a real intention to leave St. Louis. Figures.

Anyways, word is the Marlins have turned their eyes on Buehrle and Prince Fielder. And that CJ Wilson might have made a verbal agreement to the Angels, although other reports saying the Marlins offered him 6 years (eek).

Hanley tweets:

@HanleyRamirez
Hanley Ramirez
Everybody it's waiting to see what's gonna happen with me or what I gonna do right?

@HanleyRamirez
Hanley Ramirez
What I am gonna do is work hard and get ready for next season because that is the only thing I can control I love y'all!!!!

Ehe....

Source? I have yet to hear that, and I wouldn't believe it for a second. Larry Beinfest literally just spoke to the media last night and said 'this is all news to me'.

Although sources on the Pujols front have said the Marlins are out of the race and Jeffrey Loria was pissed off. I now fully believe the Marlins got played hard by Lozano. They were making the Marlins kick up the price so they could take the offer to St. Louis and make them match it. Never a real intention to leave St. Louis. Figures.

Anyways, word is the Marlins have turned their eyes on Buehrle and Prince Fielder. And that CJ Wilson might have made a verbal agreement to the Angels, although other reports saying the Marlins offered him 6 years (eek).
Five minutes after I got that word (I have a source at the meeting, I'll leave it at that), Olney came on and basically said much of the same on SportsCenter. He said they want to move Hanley because Hanley asked for more money in order to accept the position change. They would then use the freed up money to help put together a Fielder package.

Yeah I saw the Olney bits as well. Most of this seems to be coming from Hanley's agent, so I wouldn't buy too much into it.

Wow, I can't believe Buehrle got 4 years. This pitching market is so inflated.

All good things do come to an end, I guess.

I sincerely doubt that in my lifetime I will ever like a pitcher as much as I liked Mark Buehrle.

(That makes it sound like he's dead, but, he might as well be. Marlins games are never on TV.)

Enjoy him, #7. Your team, and your clubhouse, just got a lot better.

Buehlehr.

Thanks! I'm really excited, and I'm glad that the Pujols thing fell through. Don't get me wrong, I would've been overjoyed to have Pujols in Miami. But when you think about it, with the 10 years, the age, the fact that we have a 1B, and that we really need to fix the rotation... it just wouldn't make much sense. Far from a lateral move, but the residual value of an addition of a pitcher is much better. And word around town is they're still keeping eyes on Wilson/Fielder. They offered 6 to Wilson, which I'm really not liking one bit. And I would just like them to steer clear of Prince Fielder. Far, far away. Same situation as Pujols. We have a 1B. One who is cheaper. Who will age better. Who is quicker. Who can play defense. We have a hitting lineup as it stands.

@HanleyRamirez OMGGGG Crazy stuff going around...Im just relaxing with my family and getting mentally and physically strong and ready for next season :)

Doesn't sound like a player who is angry and trying to get traded.

Amazing how rumors can spread and 'Hanley doesn't want to play 3B' goes to 'Hanley is demanding more money to play 3B and therefore the Marlins are trying to trade him'.

Ozzie's been tweeting for the last two days about how Hanley is his guy. Hanley ain't goin anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom