2011 MLB - Part III - World Series, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had Rollins on the cheap for the past few years, mostly because he has an awful agent. Reyes setting the market limits the ability for teams to dupe him again, though. That and the fact that it might be a competition between the Phils and the Fielder-less Brewers.

Well I don't even think the Marlins won a bidding war on Reyes. They didn't give him the NTC he wanted and the deal was about $10m off of what it was originally reported as. I think it was more of a case of Miami riding the rave from the Heath Bell signing.

And now that both Reyes and Bell are in Miami, Buehrle's gotta be taking us seriously. Reports are the Marlins are a favorite for Buehrle. Reports also saying if Albert Pujols leaves St. Louis, Miami is the front runner.

I'm glad they weren't bluffing. I'd be okay with this being it (so long as they make a decent starting rotation, one way or another).

The free agent compensation system is a joke. The Mets will only get a third rounder from the Marlins. Should have traded him last year.

The free agent compensation system is a joke. The Mets will only get a third rounder from the Marlins. Should have traded him last year.

Why it's even implemented is what I don't understand...

I'm much more of a fan of the NHL style UFA/RFA stuff.

the marlins will be paying a shortstop who relies on his legs, who couldn't keep his legs healthy in his 20's, 16+ million per year well into his 30's. enjoy.

well... correction. SOMEONE will be paying jose reyes 16+ million per well into his 30's, likely some combination of the marlins and whomever they inevitably trade him to when they blow the team up again in a three years.

Very unexpected trade here. We've shipped Sergio Santos, our young stud closer whose contract we extended in September, to Toronto for one of their young stud pitching prospects. A guy named Nestor Molina.

Nobody saw this coming at all. Santos was in line to be our closer for the next two or three years at least. Or at least that's what everyone thought. Crazy talented kid.

I'm not angry about the move or anything because it seems we got good talent in return...it's just that I'm very surprised by it. Hmmm. I have a feeling this could be just the first in an extremely busy trading offseason for the Sock.

Hard fucking stove.

I do already know what my nickname is going to be for our newly acquired pitcher. And it's Richard Alpert.

He's ageless, and nobody knows whether or not he's wearing eyeliner. Actually, another good nickname for this guy would be THE BLACK ROCK.

Yeah, that's it.

I'm not angry about the move or anything because it seems we got good talent in return...it's just that I'm very surprised by it. Hmmm. I have a feeling this could be just the first in an extremely busy trading offseason for the Sock.

If the White Sox are in rebuilding mode, I'd love a trade for Danks.

You'd probably have to give up your boy Montero for that.

I think they might be able to put together a package centered on Betances and some other useful pieces and see whether the Sox will take it, given that Danks is only a year away from free agency. I love Danks, but I wouldn't give up Montero for him.

On another issue, I'd say ESPN won the Francona-Valentine trade.

joecapMARLINS joe capozzi

Growing buzz in lobby that #Marlins will emerge as winner Albert Pujols derby. Nothing final yet but fish r favorites, accd 2 lobby walkers
1 minute ago

Continues to get more and more interesting.

I sincerely hope it happens for you, man. It'd be nice to see what Ozzie can do with a lineup like that. And fuck the Cardinals.

Pujols to Miami would be an interesting baseball story, and one that I'd enjoy watching play out from a distance.

Lots of speculation that Pujols is using the Marlins to up the Cardinals offer.

Of course, that's probably being generated by those who just can't believe it'd ever happen. I'm on that dividing line.

The fact that the Marlins refuse to give the NTC is something that will push Pujols to the Cards. It's like the Marlins already know that at some point they will have to trade off their big contracts, again. Why would Pujols want to be a part of that?

Either way, I would not give him more than 6 years. He will be 32 before next season and his stats have been going down the past 3 years OPS+ 189, 173, 150...

He also has had to battle through plantar fasciitis as well as an elbow that is hanging on by a thread, he will need tommy john surgery at some point.

And he is also catching up to Fielder in fatness:

From this:

pujolstt.jpg

To this:

Albert+Pujols+Prince+Fielder+St+Louis+Cardinals+RfhGVrEkg7kl.jpg

Having said that, of course I'd like to see him back if the price is right, he will be hitting a lot of milestones in a few years and it would be nice for him to do it in a Cardinals uniform. But I will not be upset if the Cardinals don't meet a ridiculous contract offer as it will be super risky.

Gee, with the Marlins being investigated by the SEC, shouldn't Albert and his agent be wary about signing with them.

Regardless, I hope he stays with the Cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom