2010 World Cup Part 4 . . . The Final Countdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The passive offside rule was introduced just a couple years ago and is quite complicated sometimes. You are passively offside as long as you cannot interfere with the ball in any way, and be it just by deflecting the goalkeeper's view (which makes it sometimes very questionable, because in some situations it is a tough call whether you maybe somehow influenced the goalkeeper, eg. due to him positioning differently or whatever). In the moment when the pass was played to Iniesta he was not offside anymore, so the question would be if his offside when Torres passed to Fabregas is active or passive. That I don't feel competent in answering.

Ofcourse that offense by the Jong should have been a red card. But then again, that was on the middle of the field. Robben in the penalty zone got held up majorly by a spanish defender, but he didn't fall. :| He should've gotten a penalty for that and the spanish guy a yellow. And that failed corner was pretty bad indeed.
For the record, I did mean the initial pass for offside, in the redo you could clearly see it was offside, the pass to Iniesta wasn't.

Ah well, 2nd place isn't that bad for a tiny country I guess. :shrug: We'll see you guys in two years in Poland/Ukrain. :D

Ugh. Ugly and foul-loaded game (the ref almost stopped giving cards in the second halftime for some reason...) - De Jong should have gotten a red card for that chest-foot, as well as that other Dutch player a few minutes later, when his shoe went right into the leg of a Spain player. Maybe there'd be less fouls later if De Jong had been sent off. That is the error Webb made IMO.

edit: I'm reminded of that other WC game a few years go...Portugal vs (insert team name) when 3 players were sent off, and massive amounts of cards were handed out as well.

And...Torres playing instead of Villa ? Que!?!? :banghead:

Robben...next time instead of complaining about the ref, try scoring when you're in front of the goalie. Twice, no less.

:up: Forlan winning the award.

Ofcourse that offense by the Jong should have been a red card. But then again, that was on the middle of the field. Robben in the penalty zone got held up majorly by a spanish defender, but he didn't fall. :| He should've gotten a penalty for that and the spanish guy a yellow. And that failed corner was pretty bad indeed.
For the record, I did mean the initial pass for offside, in the redo you could clearly see it was offside, the pass to Iniesta wasn't.

Ah well, 2nd place isn't that bad for a tiny country I guess. :shrug: We'll see you guys in two years in Poland/Ukrain. :D

:up:

If the ref had always made the right decision it would have been worse for Holland so I don't understand the complaining. They should have been with nine at the break.

If the ref had always made the right decision it would have been worse for Holland so I don't understand the complaining. They should have been with nine at the break.

The way I see it is that if De Jong had been given a red card, it would've cautioned the rest of the team. They would've been less reckless and more focussed. And besides, if the ref made the right decision Robben would've gotten a penalty, the moment before the goal would've been a corner kick for us instead of a goalkick, and the whole goal would never happen. And it would've saved us some cards and given the spanish some for acting and complaining. So how is that worse for us?

:hug:

^ Yeah, I know.

YouTube - Als je alles geeft, verlies je niets

And dare I say this :
I kinda wish De Jong would have gotten that red card.
Because I think we would have seen a different game.
Even if it meant a more than 0-1 loss.

That was my immediate thought as well :up:

< was staring forlornly at the box this morning willing it to show me some more football . . . :shifty: :reject:

Ofcourse that offense by the Jong should have been a red card. But then again, that was on the middle of the field. Robben in the penalty zone got held up majorly by a spanish defender, but he didn't fall. :| He should've gotten a penalty for that and the spanish guy a yellow.

The foul happened a good four to six yards outside the box.

puyolfoul.jpg

YouTube - Netherlands - Spain 0:1 Andres Iniesta Winning Goal

The initial cross intended for Iniesta is struck somewhere between 0:04 and 0:05. Iniesta is offside by a few inches at most; you cannot expect that to be flagged.

The way I see it is that if De Jong had been given a red card, it would've cautioned the rest of the team. They would've been less reckless and more focussed. And besides, if the ref made the right decision Robben would've gotten a penalty, the moment before the goal would've been a corner kick for us instead of a goalkick, and the whole goal would never happen. And it would've saved us some cards and given the spanish some for acting and complaining. So how is that worse for us?

The illogical rationalizations in this post are astounding.

If de Jong had been red-carded at 28', NED would have had to stop hacking, the field would have opened up and Spain probably would have won 2-0 in regulation.

NED got exactly the kind of game and the kind of refereeing they wanted, and they still lost.

The initial cross intended for Iniesta is struck somewhere between 0:04 and 0:05. Iniesta is offside by a few inches at most; you cannot expect that to be flagged.

Yeah, I take this one back. In fact, I don't think he was offside at all here.

I think at some point each team should have had a player sent off: De Jong for the Judo chop and Puyol should have had the 2nd yellow card when he wrapped himself around Robben. I don't think Heitinga should have had the two cards.

If you read back in this thread, you can see that I posted it was going to be a tight game and also that it would not be so entertaining.

Well, it turned out exactly like I was afraid it would. So no surprises there.

I'm Dutch and have been living in the US for 9 years. I watched the final with 15,000 Spanish, Dutch, American and other fans/supporters/people on a square in San Francisco. That in itself was already something, as soccer (as they call it here. Sorry Americans, but seeing as the Dutch word is closer to football, that's what is what it will always be for me) isn't really that popular here.

Of course, I wanted NL to win very very badly and I was extremely nervous while watching the game. A totally biased watch, for sure.

So I really hoped I would somehow (I don't have any recording equipment) be able to watch the game again in a more neutral way. Calmer, now that I knew the end result and not surrounded by thousands. And what do you know? One of the Mexican tv-stations just started broadcasting a repeat, when I got home. So I watched the entire game again. I must be nuts, I know!

I was hoping and expecting to see that Spain clearly was the better team. Funny thing though, I came out thinking NL was not as bad as I remembered from earlier. Although that might only be, because the first time I watched every corner, free kick and chance by Spain gave me a near heart-attack.

Anyway, I have only one complaint about the ref and that's the yellow card for De Jong. Where was the ref standing at that moment? My guess is, he didn't quite catch what happened. Had he seen, what we saw in the repeat, it would have been red for sure. Although I think he might have been (too) afraid to give a red at that time in the game.

So 10 at the break. Sure.
9? I don't know. Who else should have been send off according to you? Van Bommel?

I was just trying to say, that a different decision in that situation would have led to a different game. Not to a different end-result. Because, as much as I would have liked to have seen it differently, in the end I don't think NL would have won.

should we mention robben was lucky not to get a second booking after he booted the ball into the net after play was called back? not to mention another dutch player did the same thing, but even with the keeper not trying to make a save he only managed to hit the post.

I thought Webb got a few things wrong.

Robber, De jong, Van Bommel should in theory all have been off.

As should Puyol.

But on balance, I think the following facts say it all:

Holland thought he was too harsh
Spain thought he was too lenient

2 of the dirtiest teams in the WC in their own way, I really didn't expect much more than what we got.

i will admit, the call where robben wasn't fouled did produce the funniest part of the game where he took off after the referee and chased him for a good 10 seconds before realising he should be playing the game. we laughed until the end of the original 90 minutes at that.

The foul happened a good four to six yards outside the box.

puyolfoul.jpg

Yeah, that wasn't a penalty. I was actually surprised Robben was able to keep going without falling. And I was glad he didn't dive. But when it didn't result in anything, I think he realized he should have made a dive and goes to the ref angry trying to get at least something out of it. And he got alright. A yellow card. That was stupid of him.

not to mention another dutch player did the same thing, but even with the keeper not trying to make a save he only managed to hit the post.

That was Van Persie. And seeing how the ref gave out all those yellow cards already, I was very afraid, that he would get his second yellow for what he did there.

I have to say the Spanish players, especially Iniesta were diving and complaining a lot too. Asking for a card or diving is normally also a yellow card.

What a fantastic World Cup, much better than '06 I reckon.

Gonna miss the drama, sleepless nights and Larissa Riquelme...

i'm a bit surprised everything reckons De Jong should have gotten a red card
now, I wouldn't have been surprised had it been red
but I don't think De Jong did it on purpose
if only because had he aimed to kick the Spanish player he would have broken at least 3 of his ribs or worse
now the guy could just play on 2 minutes later
it was way too wild, but not as malicious as people make it out to be

then again, if people really think Robben should have been sent off for talking to the referee and playing on after the ref blew his whistle ..............

if the referee was such a stickler for the rules he might have considered that you should get a yellow card when asking the ref to book someone
which would have left Spain with 6 players on the pitch after 20 minutes :p

if only because had he aimed to kick the Spanish player he would have broken at least 3 of his ribs or worse

then again, if people really think Robben should have been sent off for talking to the referee and playing on after the ref blew his whistle ..............

if the referee was such a stickler for the rules he might have considered that you should get a yellow card when asking the ref to book someone

I can't agree more, well said :up:

Considering the referee's criteria for so many yellow cards, this should be the biggest red card of his career (another likely candidate is that other karate kick a few minutes later, right into the thigh of the Spanish player). It would also help reducing the Dutch hacking left and right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom