2010 NBA Finals and beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he signed with ESPN.

Nah, it just kind of looked that way, unless you realized that the pimp sometimes sleeps with the whores. Once you're onto that the whole Lebron/ESPN thing makes much more sense.

I'm really dreading a Lakers/Heat NBA finals. If it does happen I'll just root for Eddie House.

A friend sent this to me....apparently, it was linked from Simmons' column but whatever, it cracks me up....skip to :52 seconds....

YouTube - David Kahn Star Trek

This cat has a job, but no team wants to utilize the Pritch-slap?

Someday, remind me to tell you about the phone call my boss had with Kahn at the beginning of last season.

The guy is not well liked in the league supposedly.

so who did lebron end up signing with, anyways?

Didn't they make a whole reality series out of it.....

I think the Series finale of "The Decision" is in a couple weeks, with the L.A. Clippers being voted off last week the competition is down to New York, Miami, and Cleveland. This week the teams will have the task of erecting a statue of "The King" and the 2 cities with the best statue's will move on to the finals. You gotta love reality TV.

"Are we scared of the Heat?"

ts_10mediaday_post670.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) – Tired of player rants, the NBA plans to crack down this season on “overt” gestures, such as swinging a fist in the air in anger.
And players can be called for technical fouls even if those actions weren’t directed at a referee.
The league wants more respect for the game and its officials, so it’s expanding the list of unsportsmanlike actions that will be punishable.
“Why are we doing this? We just want to have everyone take ownership of how our game looks and the image of our game, and send a message that we want player complaining to be minimized and for everyone to have respect for the game,” executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson said Friday during a conference call.
Apparently, the calls to cut out the whining go beyond the league office.
“Our fan research shows that people think NBA players complain too much and they do so much more than players in other leagues,” Jackson said. “But that aside, in reviewing our games, what we have observed is an excessive amount of complaining to referees’ calls or non-calls.”
So for the second time in four years, the NBA is warning players that more technical fouls could be coming if the yelping doesn’t stop. The crackdown during the 2006-07 season ignited a feud with the players, who eventually filed an unfair labor practice charge against the league with the National Labor Relations Board.
“Didn’t we go through this three years ago?” Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. “We encourage our players to really contain themselves. It will work itself out as the season goes forward. I’ve always liked players that can contain that and understand what’s going on on the floor.”
Stu Jackson doesn’t expect this one to be as tense, as he emphasized this is not a “zero-tolerance policy” and players will still be permitted to have discussions with referees.
Players may have a different feeling once they see some of what could earn them a technical foul and the automatic fine that goes with it – which Jackson said may increase this season.
On Thursday night, executives from the referee operations department showed videos of some plays that would warrant technicals this season to officials and media during the referees’ training camp in Jersey City, N.J.
In one play, Carlos Boozer swings his arm in anger after a missed shot, likely believing he was fouled. However, there was not a referee nearby, leaving open the possibility that Boozer was perhaps angry with himself and not yelling at an official.
In another, LeBron James hurries across the court with his arms raised to question a call that went against him, but not in a particularly menacing manner. That doesn’t matter. Jackson said actions like those slow down the game and won’t be tolerated.
Besides punching the air, other examples of punishable offenses this season include:
-Waving off an official as a sign of disrespect
-Running up to an official from across the court
-Waving arms in disbelief, or jumping up and down in disbelief
-Clapping sarcastically at an official
Coaches were already told of the new enforcement plans, along with another point of emphasis this season: There will be an “almost zero-tolerance policy” on assistants yelling at referees.
Players will learn the details in a preseason memo, and also during a clinic given to their teams by referee operations officials.
Technical fouls rose early in the 2006-07 season, which angered players in part because of what it costs them. Players are fined $1,000 for each of their first five technicals. The fine increases by $500 for each five after that, capped by a $2,500 penalty for each one starting with the 16th. A one-game suspension also comes at that point and for every other technical thereafter.
Jackson said the league hadn’t determined how much those fines would be this season. He believes there has been some “slippage” in enforcing the respect for the game guidelines in the last four years, but wants it curbed.
“That’s good and bad,” Minnesota forward Michael Beasley said. “Sometimes we should just shut up and play basketball. But I think for the fans’ sake and the viewers’ sake, it’s good to see some emotion. You wouldn’t want me out there just playing with the same face and not looking like I’m having fun, right? It’s good and bad. But I think emotion is always the best.”
AP Sports Writers Greg Beacham in Los Angeles and Jon Krawczynski in Minneapolis contributed to this report.
© 2010 by STATS LLC and Associated Press.

The Sixers threw their hat into the Melo Sweepstakes by offering Iguodala straight up.

I think I like hockey more than basketball now.

I love how ESPN has a fucking Sportscenter desk set up outside of the gym where the Heat are practicing.

Yeah, but, please don't let that lead you to believe that they'll ever be anything but perfectly objective in their coverage and criticism of LeBron.. Nothing will ever erode, dent or otherwise negatively impact the impartiality and integrity of ESPN's rigorous journalistic standards.

Yeah, but, please don't let that lead you to believe that they'll ever be anything but perfectly objective in their coverage and criticism of LeBron..

pssht... anyone who criticizes lebron is a racist. just ask him. it's not because he's an uber-egomaniacal douchebag the likes of which we've never seen... it's because of race.

get it right.

I'm not too bummed about the guy missing 12 to 15 games. It's a looooooong season.

Wish it didn't happen of course, but, eh. We'll be fine.

All kidding aside I do think chicago, once healthy, is the best team in the east and will play the lakers or thunder for the title. Probably the lakers.

While the Heat have bust potential... I think it's hands down the Miami Heat. Only the Lakers have the potential to beat them in the league.

Ask yourself... why did Miami get eliminated last year by Boston? Well... maybe because Boston, a good defensive team, found it pretty easy to triple cover Wade, especially considering how bad the rest of the Heat were.

Why did Cleveland get kicked out of the playoffs? Same reason, really. Maybe less relevant, but both of those teams were carried by LeBron and by Wade.

Now all I've got to say is... try triple, or even double, covering one of them while the other is on the floor. Add Chris Bosh in the mix... you're almost forced to go zone defense on them. Which with 3 all-stars on the court... bad idea.

Even better... people comment on how bad the Heat's bench is. It's much better than last year, that's for sure. It's at least average, if not above average at the moment. But if Bosh carried his team all year... Wade carried his team into the playoffs all year... and LeBron carried his team to the ECF last year all by himself... if you simply cycle the 3 of them on the court so one is always on the bench...

Is 1 all-star who carried his team last year on his back... not enough to carry a team's bench on his back?

That's all I have to say. The only thing holding the Heat back from a dynasty is lack of chemistry. Which is to be seen.

Obviously it would surprise nobody if miami made it to the finals. I think there are 5 teams who could win an nba title this season... boston, miami, chicago, oklahoma city and the lakers. Orlando won't win anything until they get rid of that bum vince carter. A potential 6th team is whomever carmelo ends up with, depending ob the situation of course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom