2010-2011 NBA Thread Take 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hewson

Blue Crack Supplier
As you were...

101112_071.jpg

This recent trade activity should finally put to rest the idea that the West is far superior to the East. The East now has at least five elite or potentially elite teams: Boston, Chicago, Orlando, Miami, and New York.

Lakers, Mavs and Spurs must be loving the recent trade activity...Denver was a potential first round matchup for one of them and if healthy with Anthony, Billups, Nene, Smith et al could have been an upset threat, and now looks like no threat whatsoever. Similarly Utah, who might have slipped in as the 8 seed and had the raw talent to give the Spurs a fit is now heading to the lottery.

The Knicks will be very good in time provided they can add a solid, defensive minded big who isn't a complete waste of an offensive player... someone who can guard a 5, chases the ball off the glass and can knock down a 10 foot jumper. When they get this player, and maybe one other bench vet pg, they will be very dangerous in the east.

It's a shame that they have to go on a 3 game road trip right away... especially considering two of the games are in Florida. This team put up a huge offensive number last night against a very good defensive team, and they really only ran two sets with billups and melo on the floor... a basic wing screen/roll and a simple flex set. The rest was all on instinct and simply knowing how to play. Having chauncey billups as your floor general in this process can not be understated enough. He's markedly better than felton... and his leadership abilities will be crucial, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Melo? He looked like he had no legs. His shot was short and flat most of the game, but he made them count when it mattered most. He plays a lot of isolation... a little more than I would like, but a little iso on the wing and in the post is fine provided you keep the ball moving on the other possessions. Also key for the other players to realize that just because there's isolation doesn't mean the off the ball movement stops. This is the main difference between when lebron iso's vs a Kobe, Durant, melo, or even going back to jordan... lebron likes to iso at the top of the key, effectively killing all off the ball movement. Iso on the wing or short corner/shot porch area creates a defined strong side and weak side. The defense has to adjust to this.

I can also invision a lot of sets with melo on the block and Amar'e on the high post, with a shooter in the opposite corner and opposite wing could be especially lethal.

This team will be an offensive juggernaut in time. Probably not by this weekend, but within a few weeks.

Defensively? Not quite. They need that extra big. As they stand right now... if dwight howard doesn't drop 30+ on them in a few days he should be kicked out of the league.

Last night was fun. I'm pumped.

And every time I see the latter, I see a horrible broadcaster.

that was very surprising... i have to imagine cleveland will be trying their asses off to spin davis off for an expiring contract before 3pm hits.

I hope so. Cleveland was after the draft pick, but I really cannot understand the appeal of Davis. I also cannot think of any team that would want to absorb Davis right now. Some Cavs fans are claiming that they got him in order to ensure that they end up with the worst record in the league. :lol:

The Knicks will be very good in time provided they can add a solid, defensive minded big who isn't a complete waste of an offensive player... someone who can guard a 5, chases the ball off the glass and can knock down a 10 foot jumper. When they get this player, and maybe one other bench vet pg, they will be very dangerous in the east.

It's a shame that they have to go on a 3 game road trip right away... especially considering two of the games are in Florida. This team put up a huge offensive number last night against a very good defensive team, and they really only ran two sets with billups and melo on the floor... a basic wing screen/roll and a simple flex set. The rest was all on instinct and simply knowing how to play. Having chauncey billups as your floor general in this process can not be understated enough. He's markedly better than felton... and his leadership abilities will be crucial, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Melo? He looked like he had no legs. His shot was short and flat most of the game, but he made them count when it mattered most. He plays a lot of isolation... a little more than I would like, but a little iso on the wing and in the post is fine provided you keep the ball moving on the other possessions. Also key for the other players to realize that just because there's isolation doesn't mean the off the ball movement stops. This is the main difference between when lebron iso's vs a Kobe, Durant, melo, or even going back to jordan... lebron likes to iso at the top of the key, effectively killing all off the ball movement. Iso on the wing or short corner/shot porch area creates a defined strong side and weak side. The defense has to adjust to this.

I can also invision a lot of sets with melo on the block and Amar'e on the high post, with a shooter in the opposite corner and opposite wing could be especially lethal.

This team will be an offensive juggernaut in time. Probably not by this weekend, but within a few weeks.

Defensively? Not quite. They need that extra big. As they stand right now... if dwight howard doesn't drop 30+ on them in a few days he should be kicked out of the league.

Last night was fun. I'm pumped.

Knicks gotta be thinking of a way to bring Roy Hibbert or Emeka Okafur into that team. I think both guys would fit their need pretty well.

i seem to recall saying, when the celtics traded for ray allen, that at some point they'll probably just go out and sign jeff green when he's a free agent anyways... well, it appears as if i was sorta right.

chalk this up as another wowzer from the trade deadline...

Just before Thursday's 3 p.m. ET trade deadline, the Boston Celtics agreed to ship center Kendrick Perkins and guard Nate Robinson to the Oklahoma City Thunder for swingman Jeff Green and big man Nenad Krstic, two league sources told ESPN.com's Chad Ford on Thursday.

A bit surprised they traded Perk...must have figured they were gonna have trouble signing him to a new deal...or Trader Danny knows something the rest of us don't about his knee.
Basically giving up a lot of interior defense, and based on the way they lost to the Lakers last year, doesn't seem quite the right move, Shaq should be able to provide something in the playoffs, but I don't expect anything from Jermaine, so I am a touch perplexed.

The Pistons are idiots for not entertaining offers for Prince. Kept telling the Mavs they weren't interested in moving him, so now they get to enjoy losing him for nothing this summer.

Maybe he can be a piece in a S&T so they can complete their Villanueva-Gordon-Player X big three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom