2010-2011 NBA Thread Take 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hockey and football are collision sports. Basketball is very much a high contact sport. Arguing that fact is just plain silly. If you'd like me to start listing the permanent injuries I have from a lifetime of playing this "lite contact" sport, i'd be more than happy to.

I could also list all the technicals i've gotten, but I don't think we have the time.

Well my hockey player vs. basketball player talk was directed at Diemen. I really hope you don't think that basketball players who have 'no pads' are getting a harder beating than the hockey players 'with pads'.

And on the whole soft mans sport comment was about the officiating, not the actual players themselves. Don't take it as an insult, I'm not directing it at the players. I'm saying the sport is being molded by the officiating as a soft man's sport. With the calls. It's pathetic.

Long story short on my best heady hoops story, this one from my youth league in high school: a kid's mom threatened to fight me in the parking lot when I started jawing off to the little shit talker after hitting a three to go up twenty in the third quarter. The league was disbanded shortly after.
I laughed out loud at that last line.

It wasn't funny at the time. My buddies and I lived for that league every spring. The stupid team websites I made are even still up. But yeah, in retrospect it's hilarious.

I figured you enjoyed it, but the delivery was great.

As a Catholic kid in the Philly area, it was basically a rite of passage for me to play CYO ball. In fact, I'm wearing my old jersey right now.

I've probably still got my old youth league #13 jerseys lying around somewhere. They even had a little Mavs logo on them. Ballin'.

Well my hockey player vs. basketball player talk was directed at Diemen. I really hope you don't think that basketball players who have 'no pads' are getting a harder beating than the hockey players 'with pads'.

Uh, I never said that. They're just different sports. And you were the one insinuating that there's no contact in basketball.

And on the whole soft mans sport comment was about the officiating, not the actual players themselves. Don't take it as an insult, I'm not directing it at the players. I'm saying the sport is being molded by the officiating as a soft man's sport. With the calls. It's pathetic.

Again, if all you ever do is watch whoever has the ball, then sure. Like Headache said, there's a whole game going on away from the ball.

Watch ray allen closely next time the heat lose to boston. Better yet, watch the guy guarding ray, and watch all the screens he gets run off on a single possession, at full speed. Each and every one of them hurts to some extent. Now multiply that by the entire game... and that's still not even close to the physical beating post players take on a nightly basis.

I understand, and even agree, that in today's modern NBA the star player gets treated with kid gloves, especially on the ball. But that certainly is also the case with the star in the NHL as well, and we all know about the rules to protect the QB in the NFL. Money changes things, not always for the better. But don't think that because lebron and Kobe get every call that basketball isn't a very physical, high contact sport. And don't call it a soft man's sport.

At least she knows the rules. Half of my games have been done by people who don't even understand the sports. And one guy was really high reffing our one basketball game and made every call four to six seconds after it happened.

Tim Donaghy is reffing intramurals these days?

i had a men's league ref threaten to kill me once. that was fun.

i hip checked a kid into his own student section in college... almost got ejected for that one. fuck it... he undercut our point guard earlier in the half. he deserved it.

most of my coaching T's have been pretty mild in nature... i only really pick them up when refs put the whistle away in blow outs, just to send a message and all. i've gone out of my way to try to get a T, done everything but scream out curses or throw chairs on to the chair, and not gotten a T... and done very little, barely talked to the guy and gotten T'd up. there's no real rhyme or reason to it sometimes.. it all depends on the ref's personal level of douchebaggery. i did scream at a ref after a game that he royally fucked to never show up in our gym again once. good times, good times.

i've worked as an assistant for some firey motherfuckers, which is always interesting. one guy had such a reputation that he actually got T'd up when he had a vicious cold and couldn't even speak. he had to write the plays down on the dry erase and have me yell them out... still managed to get banged up.

i think the best one though was from when i was working as a JV assistant my first year out of college at my old high school. 10 minutes before the game was scheduled to start and the ref finally walks in the door, by himself (supposed to be 2 man crews)... says he doesn't know where his partner is, and to make matters worse, he has no sneakers because, allegedly, his "daughter went into his gym bag and took them out." all he has is the boots he's wearing.

so the guy i'm working for, who was my JV coach in high school, says "no problem, i'm a gym teacher we probably have an extra pair laying around here somewhere," goes into his office and brings out a pair of sneakers for the guy.

so the game is pretty physical, as games with only one ref tend to be... the other team is up like 20 or so early in the 3rd when their coach gets T'd for relatively mild arguing. so we know full well that since he got one, we'll probably get one as well. low and behold, about 5 minutes later, our guy gets hit with a T for arguing a call. the ref comes over to report the T to the scorer's table... coach leans over to him and says, in a volume that only the people near him can hear, "i want my sneakers back." Boom, second T, he's ejected from the game.

and thus is how i got my head coaching debut.

That's brilliant.

I've only issued one T as a referee. A coach was complaining that the other team was setting moving screens, and he decided the best way to demonstrate how they were setting screens was to come up and "set" a moving screen on me.

This was an 8-year old basketball game.

Uh, I never said that. They're just different sports. And you were the one insinuating that there's no contact in basketball.

Again, if all you ever do is watch whoever has the ball, then sure. Like Headache said, there's a whole game going on away from the ball.

All I'm saying is that your post was very suggestive of it.

I understand, and even agree

OMGCATBIG.jpg

But in all seriousness, yes perhaps my words were rash and not thought out very well as I tend to not watch what I say sometimes. No, basketball is not a non-contact sport. But it's still limited in it's contact in my opinion.

But then again, you're talking much about off the ball, which I rarely ever watch offensively.

To be fair, Headache, the kid is watching a team that has four players doing nothing off the ball. Give him a break.

That's like saying that you don't pay attention to, know about nor care about 80% of the game, and then saying that that doesn't mean you don't know the game.

You enjoy it... that's great. I enjoy playoff and olympic hockey. I don't assume to know shit about it other than the absolute basics. I'm getting into soccer, trying to learn the rules and all, but don't pretend to think I know what the hell is going on all over the field.

Seriously... I don't pretend to know football or baseball as much as someone who devotes their entire life to those sports, but as a fan I certainly try to pick up on the various nuances of each sport.

There are actually many similarities between defensive football concepts and defensive basketball concepts.

I've learned enough basketball from playing it on a regular basis. I'm not an expert, but I know what goes on away from the ball.

Seriously... I don't pretend to know football or baseball as much as someone who devotes their entire life to those sports, but as a fan I certainly try to pick up on the various nuances of each sport.

There are actually many similarities between defensive football concepts and defensive basketball concepts.

There's also many similarities between hockey and basketball defensive concepts. And obviously many differences as well.

I've learned enough basketball from playing it on a regular basis. I'm not an expert, but I know what goes on away from the ball.

Are you 6'3" and 250 pounds? I am. Most of my contact happens when I'm away from the ball. Then...when I get the ball, even more significant contact happens as I back into the guy and he pushes me back...when I shoot, I almost always get hit somewhere on my body.

I set screens for my teammates more than anything...which means a lot of guys run in to me.

I box out for every rebound...my favorite is when I block out 2 guys, because a teammate doesn't get his. That is fun.

Pretty much, i'm that annoying undersized post player who bugs the shit out of people but helps a team win.

I know a lot of guys though who do not play this way. That would be less contact, I would assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom