2010-2011 NBA Thread Take 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To a certain extent, trying to draw contact for a whistle is playing the game. Not my favorite part, but hey. Besides, for every flop I'll give you 10 possessions where the bigs are banging around (heh) down there without a call.

It's great for our community how the Heat's foibles seem to come against teams well represented here in the forum. Boston owns them, Chicago made them cry, Dallas sent them to a players only meeting, Orlando made a huge lead evaporate, and Amare swatted the shit out of LeBitch during winning time.

YES WE DID

You could throw the Spurs on there for U2@NYC, but he doesn't come around until playoff time. Go figure.

It's great for our community how the Heat's foibles seem to come against teams well represented here in the forum. Boston owns them, Chicago made them cry, Dallas sent them to a players only meeting, Orlando made a huge lead evaporate, and Amare swatted the shit out of LeBitch during winning time.

YES WE DID
The Sixers are 0-2 against them but play them in Miami again on the 25th. If only...

I think we're all being a little hard on the Heatles. You can't expect to throw 3 star players together like that and expect them to click overnight, roll through the league, and win the championship. It takes time...

LuckyNumber7 said:
Zero contact. You break wind with someone in your vicinity and it's a foul. It gets ridiculous at some points.

Set foot on the court and tell me there's zero contact. There's more contact on every single possession than you could possibly imagine, and obviously in spots that you would never see nor even know where to look.

A soft man's game? Perhaps you suffer from a similar ailment as your beloved lebron... you don't understand that there's a game going on off the ball.

Set foot on the court and tell me there's zero contact. There's more contact on every single possession than you could possibly imagine, and obviously in spots that you would never see nor even know where to look.

A soft man's game? Perhaps you suffer from a similar ailment as your beloved lebron... you don't understand that there's a game going on off the ball.

First off, I was referring to the ball carrier alone and specifically in regards to foul calls. Not what's going on as a whole. If that came off negatively, didn't mean it that way.

Second off, granted I'd play with people my own size, I play hockey. A little bit more than boxing out goes on there.

As someone who has sprained the arch of his foot (via a big man falling on it and bending it the wrong way), gotten whiplash and broken three fingers and a toe playing basketball ... it's definitely a contact sport.

And I'm a 5'7", 135 pound point guard.

First off, I was referring to the ball carrier alone and specifically in regards to foul calls. Not what's going on as a whole. If that came off negatively, didn't mean it that way.

Second off, granted I'd play with people my own size, I play hockey. A little bit more than boxing out goes on there.

You've also got plenty of padding in hockey. No padding in basketball. And there's a little bit more than boxing out going on in basketball, too.

And, damn peef. I've had my share of bruises, sprained ankles, knees, elbows, shoulders, but no broken digits - and I'm usually playing center.

I've rolled my ankles and broken a toe running the point, but that's been the extent of it aside from your typical bumps and bruises. Also played a lot of SG despite a point guard's 6'0" 180 pound body, but even crashing the boards and drawing contact, I never got too seriously hurt. I've also never cried after a game, for what it's worth.

Yes, and I've also gotten a sprained ankle playing basketball. Doesn't make it a contact sport. Someone falling on you is coincidental.

I'm really not going to debate this if you're trying to say 'hockey players have pads and basketball players don't'. That's ridiculous. Take a puck off a skate. Or your shin. Or your pants. Or your glove. Or god forbid your forearm. Or your chest. Or your face (if you're not wearing a cage).

Try getting laid out on your back and getting the wind knocked out of you. Or having somebody coming full speed at you to legally knock you down.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not an issue of 'keeping your head up' in basketball for your own safety. You're talking about bruises and sprains... in hockey you're talking about broken limbs, gashes, etc. You've had your fair share of bumps and bruises congratulations. I've had a concussion and a fractured collar bone, among other small things like bruises small cuts, a bloody mouth, nose, puck to the nuts (even with a cup it's extremely painful), stick to the head, blah blah blah.

The most amazing feat of my basketball career? I've never gotten a technical. As you all know, I'm a know-it-all and an ass, so that's quite the accomplishment. I've been warned a couple times and I almost got kicked out of a high school game that I was watching from the stands, but I've never gotten a T.

I should have gotten a T last year in intramural, when a guy broke my finger and I ran up to the ref, held up my crooked finger and called him a blind fuck.

Yes, and I've also gotten a sprained ankle playing basketball. Doesn't make it a contact sport. Someone falling on you is coincidental.

I'm really not going to debate this if you're trying to say 'hockey players have pads and basketball players don't'. That's ridiculous. Take a puck off a skate. Or your shin. Or your pants. Or your glove. Or god forbid your forearm. Or your chest. Or your face (if you're not wearing a cage).

Try getting laid out on your back and getting the wind knocked out of you. Or having somebody coming full speed at you to legally knock you down.

As far as I'm concerned, it's not an issue of 'keeping your head up' in basketball for your own safety. You're talking about bruises and sprains... in hockey you're talking about broken limbs, gashes, etc. You've had your fair share of bumps and bruises congratulations. I've had a concussion and a fractured collar bone, among other small things like bruises small cuts, a bloody mouth, nose, puck to the nuts (even with a cup it's extremely painful), stick to the head, blah blah blah.
Just because hockey is a contact sport doesn't mean basketball is not a contact sport.

Whatever, my point is that it gets ridiculous when you're blowing the whistle left and right for simply touching an opposing player. Many forms of direct contact are against the rules.

You're right, it's not non-contact. It's non-collision. And minimal contact. But honestly, bringing up padding in hockey is ridiculous.

PhilsFan said:
The most amazing feat of my basketball career? I've never gotten a technical. As you all know, I'm a know-it-all and an ass, so that's quite the accomplishment. I've been warned a couple times and I almost got kicked out of a high school game that I was watching from the stands, but I've never gotten a T.

I should have gotten a T last year in intramural, when a guy broke my finger and I ran up to the ref, held up my crooked finger and called him a blind fuck.

Man, I've got some funny IM stories as far as the techs thing goes, including one season in which we weren't allowed to participate in the playoffs with a perfect record due to our sportsmanship grade average being less than a B.

Man, I've got some funny IM stories as far as the techs thing goes, including one season in which we weren't allowed to participate in the playoffs with a perfect record due to our sportsmanship grade average being less than a B.
I would greatly enjoy hearing those. IM sports are insane.

IM stories are always fun. A woman reffing floor hockey. One of my players pushed over another player (IM floor hockey is non contact) so she called a penalty. I'm moving the puck around the opponents net and he's repetitively pushing me outside of the goalie crease not letting me in.

So I went and called her retarded for not calling the exact same call on the other side. the only difference? I didn't fall like a baby on the floor. Her response to me? "Listen, it's bound to happen, do you want me to start calling it both ways and everyone can get penalties?" Like... really... how does that make any sense at all for a response?

At least she knows the rules. Half of my games have been done by people who don't even understand the sports. And one guy was really high reffing our one basketball game and made every call four to six seconds after it happened.

I had a softball game where we were in the last inning down by a run with one out with me on third. There was a fly ball to shallow center and I decided to tag up and go for it. The guy made a pretty good throw and it beat me there but I slid well and got a hand in there. The umpire called me out and I went ballistic. He couldn't kick me out or warn me or anything because the play ended the game, but I had to be pulled away from him.

I have a bit of a temper when it comes to these things.

Funny part is you're right. She knows the rules. The majority dont. She just didn't call them evenly. I'm my team's captain, so before our first game I wanted to clarify some league rules. I asked them if it was okay to stick lift and they're like "what's that?". I asked them if my players were allowed to stand in the goalie's crease and he was confused as well with what I was talking about.

Also fun to note that one of the refs is also the shift manager at the GameStop on our campus. And completely out of sheer luck I just so happened to ask him about NHL 11 months before the league started. And he had nothing much to say. I mean, of course that doesn't really mean he is knowledgeable or not with hockey, but I found it quite ironic when I saw him reffing.

Don't get me started on the umpiring in IM softball. Those idiots don't understand a slow pitch strike zone at all. And then there's flag football. I can't tell you how many times I was called for "flag guarding" while making a juke or spinning.

And despite all this, IMs are one of the things I miss most from college.

I'll never forget an intra-mural high school floor hockey game I was involved in when I was in Grade 8. I was the goalie and at one point a player on my team lost his cool and swung his stick at another player. They started fighting and before you know it I was trading punches with the opposing goalie. It turned into an all out brawl.

I say this in all seriousness: that was one of my fondest memories of my high school years. It was such an adrenaline rush. I loved every minute of it.

Don't get me started on the umpiring in IM softball. Those idiots don't understand a slow pitch strike zone at all. And then there's flag football. I can't tell you how many times I was called for "flag guarding" while making a juke or spinning.

And despite all this, IMs are one of the things I miss most from college.
They put a carpet out near the strike zone, and strikes and balls were based on whether it landed on the carpet or not. Basically the umps just had to call the bases.

And we were outlawed from spin moves in football to avoid flag guarding. There's also an interesting story about the game I showed up drunk, but that's for another night.

I'll never forget an intra-mural high school floor hockey game I was involved in when I was in Grade 8. I was the goalie and at one point a player on my team lost his cool and swung his stick at another player. They started fighting and before you know it I was trading punches with the opposing goalie. It turned into an all out brawl.

I say this in all seriousness: that was one of my fondest memories of my high school years. It was such an adrenaline rush. I loved every minute of it.

Funny because my only legitimate fight was with a goalie. Considering fights are a thing of adult leagues/18+ only and I've never played in an adult league (in fact I even rarely played ice hockey, being in Florida roller hockey is much cheaper and more convenient).

I was screening the goalie being a real pest and he was pushing off of me. Wasn't bothering me at all though, but he was getting really frustrated with me. Shot came through and I tried to deflect it and instead nipped his wrist and he friggin lost it. It was hilarious looking back because it wasn't my fault. His defenders did nothing to move me out of the way and he was playing way out of his crease.

I trust that you beat his ass.

Hockey and football are collision sports. Basketball is very much a high contact sport. Arguing that fact is just plain silly. If you'd like me to start listing the permanent injuries I have from a lifetime of playing this "lite contact" sport, i'd be more than happy to.

I could also list all the technicals i've gotten, but I don't think we have the time.

Long story short on my best heady hoops story, this one from my youth league in high school: a kid's mom threatened to fight me in the parking lot when I started jawing off to the little shit talker after hitting a three to go up twenty in the third quarter. The league was disbanded shortly after.

I'm assuming/hoping Headache's stories will trump that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom