2010-2011 NBA Thread Take 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Lakers lose this series it's a gigantic embarrassment, and sadly the blame is likely to fall on Gasol.

Of course, they were in this position against multiple inferior opponents last year, so one can't freak out too much about it.

L.A. won't lose this series, and no freakin just yet. Phil just needs to light a little fire under Pau's ass again, especially on the offensive end. It wouldn't be the first time.

But they will have trouble defending the perimeter threats out there, especially if Kobe is still hobbling. Durant/Westbrook, LeBron/Wade, or Rondo...those will be tough match-ups.

Expect Phil to pull a rabbit out of the hat one last time.

Hobblin' Kobe is the worst-case scenario. Strike that, Bynum having his yearly post-season knee injury in the next game or two would be the worst-case.

Sorry, LMP, as a Bulls fan, I want the Hawks to close it out in game 6. I want no part of Dwight in the second round. Or all of your three point shooters.

Bulls officially advance, in spectacular fashion! They finally looked like the team that won 62 games.

Second round will start Monday...Bulls get to rest for nearly a week while ORL/ATL finish.

Sorry, LMP, as a Bulls fan, I want the Hawks to close it out in game 6. I want no part of Dwight in the second round. Or all of your three point shooters.

If Atlanta could force Orlando out of their offensive rhythm, then Chicago certainly could. Stopping ball movement and forcing the shooters to create their own shot would be Chicago's first priority.

That being said, Rose would be more hesitant to drive into the lane like a madman if Howard's around the rim. Plus, who's matching up with the Richardsons, Redick, Arenas or Anderson? I like this matchup for Orlando a lot, hopefully they can shoot well enough to win the next two games.

What's the over/under for the number of times we will hear about Kobe's bad ankle in the second half?

BLACK MAMBA MOTHERFUCKERS

:wave:

Hoping New Orleans can hold on and pull off the upset in the series. If both LA and SA lost in the first round, and OKC and Dallas got to duke it out in the WCF, that would be great. It's been LA and SA in the finals every year since 1999 with the exception of 2006. I'm ready for a new WC champion.

:wave:

If Atlanta could force Orlando out of their offensive rhythm, then Chicago certainly could. Stopping ball movement and forcing the shooters to create their own shot would be Chicago's first priority.

That being said, Rose would be more hesitant to drive into the lane like a madman if Howard's around the rim. Plus, who's matching up with the Richardsons, Redick, Arenas or Anderson? I like this matchup for Orlando a lot, hopefully they can shoot well enough to win the next two games.

I'm just really weary about Orlando. The end of last year and the first two games(including preseason) of this year, they had our number. They just killed us over and over again. After the trades, the Bulls matched up better and won a couple against Orlando, and I wasn't as worried about Orlando anymore, but then the Magic go and take us down to the wire in the next-to-last game of the season without Dwight, and it takes Jameer letting the ball go a couple tenths of a second too late for us to escape with the victory. Meanwhile, we won by 18 and 33 the last two times we played Atlanta. Also, I feel Atlanta would take less games, thus conserving more energy for Boston/Miami.

Finally Lakers looking like champs again, firing on all cylinders. I'd say the bench beyond Odom and Brown could be better, but they haven't really been needed or taken many shots.

Everyone but Artest in double-digits, and he has 9. A good sign.

61173172.jpg

Was a good game. Sixers came to play. Hopefully Miami comes to play versus Boston.

Hey, your favorite Joel Anthony with two big blocks and free throws at the end of the game :lol:. I kid.

Turner sucked, but he's also a rookie. Puzzling why he was in so long, he killed them down the stretch. Three easy misses and a botched rebound.

But Iguodala's last shot? Putrid. Three pointer or go to the hole. Eighteen footer? For real? Go away, please.

For the last shot I didn't understand why they didn't take the three. I wouldn't want to have to score, give the ball back to Miami, and have to force free throws with 15 seconds left and then plan on going back down the court again and make another basket.

What are everybody's thoughts on the likelihood of the possible looming lockout? I know at the beginning of the season some of you thought there was no way the leauge would allow a lockout to happen, but it seems very possible right now. The two sides don't seem any closer - Players' Union VP Maurice Evans spoke today:

National Basketball Players’ Association vice president Maurice Evans said players might be willing to relent on BRI, but do not intend to budge on a hard cap.

“In my opinion, the current deal we have now is actually working,” Evans said. “So if we can just work from there and try and figure out something that works for everybody… Again, we want to bargain with them. We don’t want to throw darts and say who is right and who is wrong. We just want to get a deal. There has to be some model that says this is how we do business and it’s consistent from here out. Tweak this, and work from there. Honestly, I don’t think there is anything more we can give and a hard cap is definitely not going to happen.”

The owners are also expected to push for reducing the length of guaranteed contracts, and limiting the guarantees on some deals, which Evans felt is unnecessary. “I don’t think there is nowhere to go from here,” he said. “Everything has gone down. We can’t continue to diminish the years of contracts. GMs and owners don’t have to sign players for those allotted number of years. We don’t need to self-govern them. Doesn’t make any sense.”

Read more: Union VP Evans: Hard Cap Out Of The Question - RealGM Wiretap

The owners want to move towards the NFL, and the players absolutely hate it.

In addition to this, there are reports - I'm not certain if they're 100% true - that the NBA has already cancelled its summer leagues and also preseason games that were to take place internationally.

Also, national basketball teams are increasingly concerned that nba players playing on national teams during a lockout would be uninsured because their nba contracts would be suspended during a lockout:

The threat of an NBA lockout reaches beyond 30 teams.

National teams competing in important Olympic qualifying tournaments this summer could be affected, too.

The collective bargaining agreement between the NBA and the National Basketball Players Association expires July 1, and if a deal is not reached before then or shortly after, national teams are concerned they won't be able to obtain affordable insurance on players' NBA contracts.

NBA player contracts are insured in case of injury, guaranteeing a player will be paid if he is injured. In general, it's a 41-game deductible, giving teams some relief.

The insurance for NBA players in international events under normal circumstances — use last summer's world championships in Turkey with several NBA players as an example — works like this: The NBA's insurance company covers the player's contract, and the player knows he will be paid his NBA salary if he is injured. The national team pays an additional insurance premium to cover career-ending injuries in international play, but since career-ending injuries are rare, the cost is nominal.

The situation changes drastically in an NBA lockout. Players' contracts are suspended in a lockout thus there is technically no contract to insure during that period.

Read more: NBA Lockout Could Affect Olympic Qualifying Tournaments - RealGM Wiretap

Finally, on national TV last week, during a game, Stern flat out said he was hopeful but not confident that a CBA resolution would be reached.

A lockout just seems increasingly likely.

Anyone feeling super confident about facing the Lakers now?

Must you be so smug? To answer your question...I wouldn't say I'm "super confident", but I certainly believe Boston, Oklahoma City, Dallas, Chicago, and maybe Miami are all capable of beating LA. I don't think the Lakers are anything approaching invincible or unbeatable. They won't be easy by any means, but they're very beatable.

Also, hooray for the Hawks eliminating the Magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom