Years Of Refusal - Morrissey - Album/Tour Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every time I hear "Friday Mourning," I am astounded that it was left off Quarry. The song is spell-binding, with some excellent lyrical work, even by Moz's standards.

Wow, I think it's wonderful. Just really great pop music.

I can't stand half of it, some of the songs are just plain bad. Plus all but one song that was on Hatful of Hollow was a million times better than the versions on the debut

Although Kill Uncle is a hundred times worse :wink:

I downloaded all 4 studio albums from The Smiths. So far, I've only listened to The Queen Is Dead, but I love it - Morrissey has a great voice, and the songs are excellent.

If his solo work is this good, I'll definitely be buying the new album.

I downloaded all 4 studio albums from The Smiths. So far, I've only listened to The Queen Is Dead, but I love it - Morrissey has a great voice, and the songs are excellent.

If his solo work is this good, I'll definitely be buying the new album.

Well, you know, Moz's solo stuff is an entirely different beast. But once you like his voice and lyrical approach, I think that it is a safe bet that you will also enjoy his solo work.

3 things:

1. He's on Jimmy Fallon's stupid show tonight
2. I still haven't listened to the album, though I bought it the day it came out
3. This is pointless, but still made me laugh: MORRISSEY DANCE!

A little bigger but not much..

morrissey-years-of-refusal-1.jpg

Considering buying tickets tomorrow to his show. I was a huge Smiths fan years ago (teenage years) and still listen today, but have not gotten into Morrissey's new stuff yet. I regret not seeing the Smiths when I had the chance so I think it would be fun to see him now. I guess I need to go get the album and check it out!

Well that was ridiculous. Was on there right at noon and ended up with balcony tickets. :angry: then I searched again for the hell of it and better tickets came up. WTF.

Where did the Morrissey love go? :sad:

Something is squeezing my skull :drool:

I'm throwing my arms around Paris :drool:

I saw him last night in Milwaukee and he sounded fantastic. He nearly started a riot when he threw his perspiration-soaked shirt into the crowd; it took three bouncers to break up the entanglement. "This Charming Man," which assumed a hard-rocking edge, and "Seasick, Yet Still Docked" were the highlights for me.

Omg This Charming Man??? I got goose bumps when I read that. What was the rest of his setlist like please? I'm getting excited now. :hyper:

The setlist included quite a few rarities and lesser-known tracks, for instance "I Keep Mine Hidden," "The Loop," and "Billy Budd." As far as Smiths numbers go, "This Charming Man," "How Soon Is Now," and "Ask" were all very well-received. In my opinion, the show's energy waned a bit in the second half, which was heavy on Years of Refusal material. The performances were great, but it was apparent that a large percentage of the crowd was not familiar with anything post-Vauxhall & I. Moz sounded great though, and seemed to be enjoying himself.

omg I had no idea he did Smiths songs in his setlist. I love Ask. AWESOME!!!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Would love to see him in summer! Prague or Vienna are close enough. So hopefully....
And I m really glad to hear it was so good! :applaud:

He didnt do either of these?

Yeah, he did both. Here is the full setlist.

This Charming Man / Billy Budd / That's How People Grow Up / Black Cloud / How Soon Is Now? / Irish Blood, English Heart / I Keep Mine Hidden / How Can Anybody Possibly Know How I Feel? / Ask / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Mama Lay Softly on the Riverbed / Best Friend on the Payroll / When Last I Spoke to Carol / Seasick, Yet Still Docked / The Loop / Death of a Disco Dancer / Let Me Kiss You / Sorry Doesn't Help / Something Is Squeezing My Skull / I'm OK by Myself / First of the Gang to Die (Encore)

So awesome, thanks for posting the set list. I cant wait!!

I wonder, does he have to get some kind of permission from the other ex Smiths when he plays Smiths songs? Seeing how they apparently hate each other and all.

Pretty awesome set. Such a massive catalogue of amazing possibilities. I would've loved Suedehead or My Love Life...but you're bound to be in for surprises and major disappointments at a Morrissey gig, incredible catalogue. So much brilliance. Can't wait til I get to see him one day...

So awesome, thanks for posting the set list. I cant wait!!

I can say that he interacted with the GA crowd quite a bit; if you have GA tickets and get there early, you may even get to touch him...if you would be interested in that sort of thing. :wink:

Yeah no. See my post above. :angry:

He's playing in a threatre of some sort, there is a small 'pit' and the rest of the place is seats. Orchestra section (lower level) and Balcony. Of course, for some crap reason I ended up with Balcony tickets even though I was on Ticketmaster at exactly 12:00noon when they went on sale. So I will be way too far to be able to touch him. I am however just happy to be seeing him as I've pretty much loved him since I was 14 years old and have never seen a show.

That venue sounds comparable to the one in which I saw him. We had purchased balcony seats, but when we saw that we were able to access the GA section, we decided to abandon the balcony and get as close as possible. Thus when you get to the venue you may still be able to get on the floor. Good luck.

I am fucking livid right now. Was supposed to see him tonight in Oakland for the first time ever, and he canceled!!! What a fucking asshole! He was just at Coachella too. Whats the matter, not feeling well today? DICK. :down:

Canceled? That's a shame, and the fourth or fifth time that he has already done so on this tour. I wonder if he has some lingering health issues.

Unfortunately, canceling shows has become a Morrissey tradition. These days he cancels shows every time he tours. It even happened to me (he canceled and then rescheduled the two shows that I saw back in 2002). Either he really does have some serious immune system problems or he's just a straight-up diva. No one really knows.

Wow I was mad LOL. I still am mad. Ugh. Reading more and more about how he cancels shows. He never apologizes to the fans either or offers an explanation. That sounds pretty diva-like to me.

Wow I was mad LOL. I still am mad. Ugh. Reading more and more about how he cancels shows. He never apologizes to the fans either or offers an explanation. That sounds pretty diva-like to me.
Well, he usually does apologize and issues statements about being sick and stuff. It's just that he does it so often that people find it harder and harder to believe that he really does get sick every time.

I suppose it must make it even more special when he does actually turn up to the gig then? I'm seeing him in Manchester in about 1 month's time, its his 50th birthday show so I hope he at least has the stomach to turn up to his own party!

Back
Top Bottom