Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Mosquito

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Area 52 may be the worst interstellar-themed song of 2013. And this is a year in which 'Spaceship Coupe' exists.

Leave the songs about outer space to Bowie or Floyd. Or Katy Perry.

Popmatters gave the new Flaming Lips an equally unimpressed score. Not going to be a good week for positive reviews, I think.

Thee Oh Sees got an 8, so there's that.

Not that this is random music, but I gave it a spin, not a bad little record.

Relistened to Mosquito as well. Don't like it quite as much as the first time I heard it, but it's a nice album. I friggin love the opener and closer. Two fantastic additions to the YYYs repertoire.

Floating Coffin is a brilliant album. I didn't think they would BNM it, but an 8 is a worthy score anyway.

Mosquito is getting seriously underrated.

I'm so pissed that P4K didn't review Charli XCX today. Here's hoping for tomorrow, I guess.

Thanks to No Ripcord her Metascore went up at least.

It's not like P4k's review would have been any more competent.

I'm on board with a review reaction thread.

YYY were awesome at Coachella!!! Fantastic set! (Even though it was cut short b/c of douchebag Issac Brook's drunken ramblings and making Modest Mouse go long and cut into YYY's time. Asshole!)

Next to The Postal Service, Yeah Yeah Yeahs was my 2nd favorite set of the weekend.

Another reason for me to dislike Modest Mouse.

Went to the show tonight in Ventura, CA at a really nice old theatre called the Majestic. Primarily to see Deap Vally open but I had never seen YYY before and was pretty excited for that as well. Nice to see my friends playing for a big crowd that was the perfect demographic for their music, and they really ate it up. Very good response.

YYY were a lot of fun, Karen O really lives up to her reputation as an entertaining, crowd-engaging frontwoman. And she just appears so happy up there it's hard not to get caught up in her enthusiasm. They really had me from the second song, which was Black Tongue, probably my favorite of theirs. Skeleton didn't quite take off as it does on the album but it was nice to hear. Heads Will Roll killed.

Haven't heard the new album yet but I think Sacrilege (which they opened with) is a bit overcooked. The rest of the songs I didn't know were either from Show Your Bones (which I've only heard a couple times) or the new album and nothing bothered me, with a few really catching my attention.

Sorry I can't be more specific on that; I need to check out Mosquito ASAP.

I stayed far after the show as the DV girls came out to the merchandise table to meet new fans for pics and autographs, and then got to go backstage again. Someone from the YYY camp eventually came down and told us to join the bigger party. I didn't get to talk to Karen O but she was up there in casual clothes (her stage outfit was pretty elaborate and colorful) and she seemed really nice from what I could tell. The girls introduced me to Nick Zinner who then wished me a happy birthday, which was pretty damned cool. The drummer was also a really nice guy and told the DV girls that they were a perfect match to play with the YYYs and that he hopes they can do it again. Really, really keeping my fingers crossed as they'll be touring this album around the world for a while I imagine, and it would be a great opportunity.

I'm now sitting next to a box of gourmet cupcakes which were left over and eventually gifted to me as the girls thought it was too dangerous to keep for themselves. They all have candy "Y"s on them.

A great conclusion of an extended weekend of music craziness.

Does anyone have the official lyrics to the chorus of "Always"? It's difficult to follow.

The transcription I've seen floating around:

"Forget the time, forever mine
Impossibility is possible to me
To me and you, we'll see it through"

Better than U2's Always, but it gives me a Pokemon theme song vibe nonetheless.

Finally sat down with this and was a bit bored to be honest. Sacrilege rules, Subway, Wedding Song, Despair and Buried Alive were good too, but nothing really jumped out at me.

Pretty weak lyrics throughout. Ironically it's the dumbest song, Area 52, which is about the only song without repeating lyrics. The rest they could all nearly have fit on a single page.

Always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always, always x 300

"Wedding Song" nearly makes up for the rest of the album being shitty.

Back
Top Bottom