Wild Beasts are Awesome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
definitely, "Two Dancers" is a solid album, full of great songs, one of my favorites last year

sorry i'm late to this thread. yes. i really enjoy Wild Beasts. their sound is indeed very refreshing.

gherman, which album do you like better, their first or second? i would say i like their second a tad bit more, but they're both strong.

gherman, which album do you like better, their first or second? i would say i like their second a tad bit more, but they're both strong.

Their second

It flows better to me and is a more complete album that is a little more mature.

The first album has a couple great songs and the a few I'm not as keen on but I love them both.

The new album, Smother, is out now, and it's receiving ludicrous amounts of praise right now.

I'm a bit ambivalent on it at the moment. I like it, but I know I'm being told to like this far more than I actually do. The danceable edge their music had has nigh on evaporated, replaced by a fluid backdrop of soundscapes and Antlers-esque guitar scrapes n' chimes. I prefer the sound of Two Dancers to this one, but this is an extremely beautiful, cohesive record with a great sound and a lot of pretty shit going on at any one moment. It's a good record. But with that 90 it has on metacritic, I came in expecting an epic masterpiece, and this is just a taut, unassuming paean to lost love (or something; I tuned out the vocals the moment I remembered he sounded like Antony) with a clutch of solid songs. I just wish it was a hair more kinetic, you know?

My favorite track for now is Burning. But I predict this will be receiving many more listens in the future.

The new album, Smother, is out now, and it's receiving ludicrous amounts of praise right now.

I'm a bit ambivalent on it at the moment. I like it, but I know I'm being told to like this far more than I actually do. The danceable edge their music had has nigh on evaporated, replaced by a fluid backdrop of soundscapes and Antlers-esque guitar scrapes n' chimes. I prefer the sound of Two Dancers to this one, but this is an extremely beautiful, cohesive record with a great sound and a lot of pretty shit going on at any one moment. It's a good record. But with that 90 it has on metacritic, I came in expecting an epic masterpiece, and this is just a taut, unassuming paean to lost love (or something; I tuned out the vocals the moment I remembered he sounded like Antony) with a clutch of solid songs. I just wish it was a hair more kinetic, you know?

My favorite track for now is Burning. But I predict this will be receiving many more listens in the future.

Thanks for reviewing this. I need to hear it. Also, stop hating on Antony. :wink:

I think that the word "paean" suits this album very well. It is a delicate, intricately-crafted piece, and it holds together incredibly well. All of this gives it a feeling of somber, reflective celebration, as one might find in some arcane ritual. "Burning" is indeed among the very finest tracks that I have heard this year. The album certainly deserves more attention than it has received.

Second listen went a lot better. I gave it the late night walk treatment; earbuds cranked up, full attention given, and it delivered. This could be a very dull record, with stray melodies and interesting lyrics spread over an absurd run time, but there is a discipline here that results in taut, accessible tunes that also boast interesting arrangements; not every melody is expressed through guitars. Any number of instruments will pop up in a given song, usually unpredictably, and that keeps my interest. The subtle hooks that sneak in halfway through a number of tracks (Loop the Loop springs to mind) also keep me engaged.

If I have any sort of complaint, I almost feel that the sequencing is a bit off, with the first three tracks all being extremely slow burners that never build steam. It's not until Loop the Loop that the album truly grabs me, but at that point, it never lets go. I also hope the band's unique style of percussion is better emphasized on the next record; it's something I really took a shine to with the debut.

Anyway, it's a definite work of art, truly an album for those that appreciate a cohesive work, though not exactly suited to all moods and times of day.

Smother reminds me a bit of Bon Iver in the way that it flows together serenely. The instrumental approach on each is obviously different, but it seems to me that they probably had a similar goal in mind.

Although I liked the theatrical element of Two Dancers, I think that this more sedate approach favors Wild Beasts - their vocalist in particular.

Yeah, great call on the Bon Iver front; both records have the big picture in mind in lieu of standout tracks, and it makes the otherwise placid records compulsively listenable. Craft is the name of the game.

I'm pretty excited for Wild Beasts; they're among the most ambitious and creative of their contemporaries.

So Present Tense is easily the best album of the year so far. I suspect it might be this year's equivalent of Push the Sky Away: an intricate piece that reveals more with every listen.

Back
Top Bottom