Wilco - New Album- Star Wars - Free download

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, I don't even know if there's a single bum track on Being There.

Sunken Treasure and At Least That's What You Said are their peaks for me.

Wilco's in a really weird position or has been for years in terms of reception from both the public and critics...like the more indie presses like Pitchfork just act kind of bored with them and their sound and underrate their work while the more mainstream outlets overrate it.

Like this is a way better record than the 7 it received from Pitchfork and a much weaker album than the really high score I saw it had received overall on Metacritic. And it's kind of been that way for awhile now. I don't outright love their post Yankee work, but I don't think any of it is boring or uninspired either.

Same actually. Being There is stunningly consistent for such a long album.

That album has to be the ultimate record that people forget about in their library and just think it's too long...and yet, every time you listen, it's just a winner from beginning to end. It would get a lot more credit if they had just compiled a 45 minute album by throwing darts at a board of all the songs they had recorded.

I'm up and down with Wilco, but I really liked this latest one. Definitely of a similar pace and temperament throughout, but just enough quirks to keep you guessing, and some subtle rhythms running through there as well.

Finally got around to buying the new one and listening to it a few times in the car. It's better than Star Wars and I probably prefer it to a couple of other post-Jay Bennett albums. "Normal American Kids" is a great opener.

Listened to it again today. By turns soothing and unsettling. I think they were probably drinking quite a bit when these songs were recorded.

Seeing these guys tonight!

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

It was great. I saw them a few years ago at a festival so it was nice to be able to see them in a club which fits approximately 2000 people this time around. At least everyone's quiet during the softer songs then.

They really are fantastic live. They played most of their "classics" (7 songs off YHF!) which I didn't mind. A Ghost is Born also got a good representation. The song I missed most was Art of Almost. The Whole Love was actually the only album they ignored completely. The highlight was Via Chicago, with an honorable mention for Pot Kettle Black because I've been growing fonder and fonder of that song recently.

Setlist:
Normal American Kids
If I Ever Was a Child
Cry All Day
I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
Kamera
The Joke Explained
Misunderstood
Someone to Lose
Pot Kettle Black
Via Chicago
Bull Black Nova
Reservations
Impossible Germany
We Aren't the World (Safety Girl)
Random Name Generator
Jesus, Etc.
Locator
Box Full of Letters
Theologians
I'm Always in Love

Encore:
Heavy Metal Drummer
I'm the Man Who Loves You
Hummingbird
The Late Greats

Encore 2:
Spiders (Kidsmoke)

I can't believe what I'm reading. Are you all fucking high? I mean there are albums that I've listened to and I've just been in the right mood for them, and so subsequently overrated the first couple of listens.

Schmilco is almost entirely boring and nearly completely staid. I could pick out two moments that actually struck me as being great: the final third of Quarters is really beautiful and there's an instrumental break in Shrug and Destroy that's pretty good. The rest of it is flat as fuck. Star Wars was fairly middling but I will take that eight days a week over this for You Satellite alone.

I'll make it clear that it's not bad, it's just so unmemorable. Half the songs I was bored with by the one-minute mark.

Wilco have always been a very hit-and-miss band for me, and I'll admit I'm a bit drunk, but I was bored from about the two-minute mark and never has 36 minutes felt so interminable. Safety Girl tries its hardest to give the record a bit of life but it's swimming upstream.

I'd say Summerteeth is definitely my favourite Wilco album, with YHF and Being There close placings. Are there any other Wilco albums I should dive into? (The other two I've heard are the last two.) Part of the reasons I don't like this new one is that Jeff Tweedy, while he's never been a great singer, there's always been personality when he throws his full voice into it; his voice cracks all over those three albums and you can feel the emotion. And it helps that they've all got a skerrick of personality and vivacity musically.

Schmilco is pretty boring, I'll give you that. The Whole Love is the last time they really caught my attention for more than a few minutes, certain isolated songs notwithstanding.

You didn't mention A Ghost Is Born, so get onto that.

One man's staid and boring is another man's placid and beautiful.

I'll tell you why I prefer Schmilco to what I consider Wilco's most boring album, Sky Blue Sky: they went all the way with it. Everything about Schmilco is going in the same direction, with the same destination. The sound is uniformly feverish and organic; you can hear the creaks, the movement in the studio. They use negative space so well on this album that it makes all the little moments captivating. The lyrics are also oblique enough that they reward multiple listens. It's a really good album. Not for all moods and situations, but it's well made and has unique qualities about it.

Then you've got Sky Blue Sky (and a handful of self-titled album tracks as well, particularly near the end). It's so fucking grey and neutral. I don't know what else to call it. The album sounds like a lot of different bands, but lifeless versions of them: boring Beatles, boring Allman Brothers Band, boring Wilco. The concept of the album is broadly "I'm mature now" and that comes through in the lyrics, which are all about being old and boring and are too vague to captivate. People call this a dad rock album, but I love dad rock and when I have a kid, I'm still going to find this album far more boring than Schmilco.

And seriously, listen to A Ghost Is Born.

Last edited:
Been listening to Sky Blue Sky a lot lately. Kind of forgot how solid it is...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Is this the unpopular opinions thread?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

So they played all of Being There followed by all of YHF at the Wilco-curated Solid Sound Festival. There's a recording from one of the best tapers in the area:

Wilco: June 23, 2017 Solid Sound Festival (complete Being There and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot) | nyctaper

Wilco
2017-06-23
Solid Sound Festival
North Adams MA

Digital Master Audience Recording
Recorded inside Soundboard Cage

Neumann KM-185s > Sound Devices 702 > 24bit 48kHz wav file > Soundforge (post-production) >
CDWave 1.95 (tracking) > TLH > flac (320 MP3 and tagging via Foobar)

Recorded by gr8fulpete
Produced by nyctaper

Setlist:
[Total Time 2:14:13]
01 [Nick Offerman Introduction]
02 Misunderstood
03 Far Far Away
04 Monday
05 Outtasite (Outta Mind)
06 Forget the Flowers
07 Red-Eyed and Blue
08 I Got You (At the End of the Century)
09 What’s the World Got in Store
10 Hotel Arizona
11 Say You Miss Me
12 Sunken Treasure
13 Someday Soon
14 Outta Mind (Outta Sight)
15 Someone Else’s Song
16 Kingpin
17 Was I In Your Dreams
18 Why Would You Wanna Live
19 The Lonely One
20 Dreamer in My Dreams