Wilco - New Album- Star Wars - Free download

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After a second, closer listen, I'll attempt to tentatively rank it.

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (A)
2. Summerteeth (A)
3. Being There (A-)
4. The Whole Love (A-)
5. A Ghost Is Born (B+)
6. Star Wars (B+)
7. A.M. (B)
8. Wilco The Album (B)
9. Sky Blue Sky (B-)

First, unfair impression is; another in a lengthening line of okish Wilco albums with one or two real standouts. There's no One Sunday Morning here, needless to say, but You Satellite is probably the most impressive so far.

I feel like there's two kinds of Wilco: the kind that is influenced by Television, and the kind that isn't.

Their Pitchfork fest set looks pretty fun:

EKG
More...
Random Name Generator
The Joke Explained
You Satellite
Taste the Ceiling
Pickled Ginger
Where Do I Begin
Cold Slope
King of You
Magnetized

Handshake Drugs
Camera
I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
Art of Almost
Via Chicago
Impossible Germany
Red-Eyed and Blue
I Got You (At the End of the Century)
Outtasite (Outta Mind)
Heavy Metal Drummer
I'm the Man Who Loves You

After a second, closer listen, I'll attempt to tentatively rank it.

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (A)
2. Summerteeth (A)
3. Being There (A-)
4. The Whole Love (A-)
5. A Ghost Is Born (B+)
6. Star Wars (B+)
7. A.M. (B)
8. Wilco The Album (B)
9. Sky Blue Sky (B-)

I'm not good at ranking but this strikes me as very close to how I might rank their catalog if I had to, though A Ghost is Born might rank slightly higher than The Whole Love due to sentimental value.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

That...seems like a stretch, lol. I like the song, though.

You Satellite is so good. I generally like their long songs.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I am 100% joking and referring to that Morrissey thread haha.

I've listened to You Satellite five times in the past hour already. Its shimmering guitar reminds me a bit of another long track from last year that I liked a lot, Return by Brian Eno and Karl Hyde.

Yeah, that track is all about Nels. His solos are always great, but I feel his best qualities are related to texture and layers. Probably comes from his jazz/experimental work.

My opinion isn't going to carry much weight here given my predilection for making fun of the band, but this is underwhelming. Looser and dirtier doesn't automatically equal good, and this is a pretty big step down from The Whole Love, which I though was a very good album. And Sky Blue Sky may not have much energy, but I think it's a more accomplished than this.

Standouts are the already-praised Your Satellite (which I think is already in danger of being overrated compared to other Wilco classics), Cold Slope (which reminded me of Pavement/Malkmus), and Taste the Ceiling.

I can't argue with any of that. I don't disagree really.

But I'm enjoying it. It's a nice surprise. I think there are a few songs that have the potential to go the long haul and take respectable places in a huge catalog of fantastic songs.

A.M. was released 20 years ago. Maybe the free download is an anniversary gift.

Speaking of A.M., I have a newfound appreciation for it. I really didn't like it when I started listening to Wilco, but nowadays I think it's a solid record with some excellent songs. I Must Be High, Box Full of Letters, Shouldn't Be Ashamed and Passenger Side are all great tunes. It is very consistent, and pretty unique alt-country territory that they didn't really explore again, not even in Being There.

Summerteeth is nice but I'd recommend A Ghost is Born. It's the one that has Handshake Drugs and Spiders on it. It also has ten minutes of feedback dedicated to Jeff Tweedy's migraine.

My favorite is Being There, so I guess I'm not gonna argue with that.

A Ghost Is Born > AM though. And I probably like it more than Summerteeth as well.

I guess standing around insufferable people stimulated Jeff. Although I feel bad for Bennet's post-Wilco life of course.

The first 8 tracks are varying degrees of brilliant, but the second half of AGIB is pretty weak. It loses me after Company In My Back and the 15 minute migraine impression kicks the album while it's down.

Summerteeth is one of my favorite albums of all time. I don't think Tweedy's lyrics have ever been better; they're that perfect midway point between unsettling abstraction and warm relatability. Musically, it expertly utilizes studio indulgence and top notch songwriting. My only knock on the album is that it's a couple tracks too long, but I'm not sure which ones I would remove. One of the great transitional records.

Last edited:
The first 8 tracks are varying degrees of brilliant, but the second half of AGIB is pretty weak. It loses me after Company In My Back and the 15 minute migraine impression kicks the album while it's down.

Summerteeth is one of my favorite albums of all time. I don't think Tweedy's lyrics have ever been better; they're that perfect midway point between unsettling abstraction and warm relatability. Musically, it's expertly placed between studio indulgence and well crafted songwriting. My only knock on the album is that it's a couple tracks too long, but I'm not sure which ones I would remove. One of the great transitional records.

I won't argue with you about AGIB tapering off. I just find its highs to be considerably higher.

I won't argue with you about AGIB tapering off. I just find its highs to be considerably higher.

To each his own. At Least That's What You Said and Handshake Drugs are certainly career highlights. But then I think A Shot in the Arm, I'm Always In Love, Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway (Again) and Via Chicago are Wilco classics in their own right.

The thing is, pretty much all Wilco songs sound amazing live. That two-night Red Rocks gig three years ago when they played like 52 different songs? It was absolutely killer. There were no lows, no bad songs.

So was this album inspired by the movies or the missile defense program?

The thing is, pretty much all Wilco songs sound amazing live. That two-night Red Rocks gig three years ago when they played like 52 different songs? It was absolutely killer. There were no lows, no bad songs.

I grow ever sadder about the gig I saw when people talk about how great they are live.

I can't find my old post, but I was pretty underwhelmed. I think a lot of it had to do with the venue (an all-seated theatre hall) which made it feel like a funeral parlour, and there was no energy from the crowd until finally a bunch of us ran to the front during the encore when they played Heavy Metal Drummer I think. It just all fell a bit flat for me.

Been listening to a heap of Wilco lately though. Ashes of American Flags and Pot Kettle Black are two songs I've grown to love quite a bit.

Back
Top Bottom