Wilco - New Album- Star Wars - Free download

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's pretty sweet. That these songs sound so good after removing all the production bells and whistles speaks to their/his songwriting, really. That said. it's not as essential as the Live in the Pacific Northwestern DVD.

Laminated Cat is a favorite of mine from Loose Fur days.

You think it's awesome that Wilco are playing two old albums back to back in full with no other songs... but you are somewhat skeptical of U2's current tour? Like I can't see you would describe it as awesome if U2 played three albums back to back or something. Like TUF-JT-AB.

I don't give a shit what Wilco does and have long since ceased to take them seriously in terms of how they value their integrity or relevance.

Also, this isn't a full album tour, is it? Not sure why you're even comparing it at all.

Also, this isn't a full album tour, is it? Not sure why you're even comparing it at all.

right, this "playing Being There and YHF in its entirety" thing is just for one show at Solid Sound festival, which is run by Wilco themselves. on the other day Wilco played regular setlist with songs off of new albums and some rarities.

Also, Wilco played Being There because fans voted for that album.

It's pretty sweet. That these songs sound so good after removing all the production bells and whistles speaks to their/his songwriting, really. That said. it's not as essential as the Live in the Pacific Northwestern DVD.

Laminated Cat is a favorite of mine from Loose Fur days.
Yeah, Laminated Cat is great.

"Candy left over from Halloween
A unified theory of everything"

...is a couplet that always sticks in my head. It rolls off the tongue, and I love Tweedy's delivery of it.

Also, this version of Ashes of American Flags is gorgeous. Such a powerful song, it has become one of my favorites on YHF.

This is one of those lame bumps The Cure thread gets where there's no real news but someone just had something to say.

I wanted to recommend the Loose Fur project to you guys. It's a collaboration between Tweedy, Glenn Kotche and Jim O'Rourke. Their debut album (self-titled) was recorded in the early 2000s, around the time of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. This period was arguably Tweedy's peak as an artist and he's in very talented company with O'Rourke.

The results are something like YHF, but it's a bit more shambling than that, progressive yes, but fractured and still with one foot in the alt-country that Wilco/Uncle Tupelo was known for. Parts of it remind me of Grizzly Bear at their strangest, or perhaps the weird and wonderful indie rock/country hybrid of the last Alex G record. Jim O'Rourke generally doesn't give a shit about writing compact, catchy tunes, but Tweedy does, so you get a super interesting compromise happening throughout.

They're on streaming services, so check them out. It feels like a missing piece of the puzzle that I'm happy to have discovered. Gump alluded to the project on this page, but I've never really seen anyone in here discuss them at length.

Last edited:
Hell yeah. The two Loose Fur records are so much fun to listen to. You can almost feel Tweedy having fun in this little side project as opposed to some of the struggles with Jay Bennett in the YHF era. The shorter self-titled is perhaps a bit more interesting, but Born Again in the USA still stands well as a full album effort (the alt-country influences are stronger in the latter). There are several good tunes across the two albums. Laminated Cat could have fit perfectly in Summerteeth. The Rulling Class, although simpler in structure, is my favorite of the bunch.

The Wilco side projects are always a rabbit hole for me. I’ve spent countless hours exploring them. I find The Minus 5 Down With Wilco album quite interesting - a little more on the folk side. Golden Smog has a bunch of good stuff - I think I once used Radio King in a DI playlist (Down by the Old Mainstream is their best album in my opinion, and very much worth of a listen if you like earlier Wilco). The Autumn Defense, a Stirratt/Sansone country-folk project, is also enjoyable in its warm, bucolic, peaceful melodies (Circles is the album to check). And then you still have all the solo Kotche solo albums - more interesting than enjoyable - and Nels Cline’s extensive discography. His latest album is good. And then there’s all the Uncle Tupelo stuff (which often leads me into Son Volt as well).

Anyways, despite Tweedy’s prominence, there are no weak links in the band. They are all pretty accomplished musicians, which explains how why they sound so good together, especially live.

This is expensive, but it looks really cool:

https://wilcostore.com/collections/...edition-color-vinyl-lp?variant=32156780625985

The five-LP set features Bob Ludwig’s 2020 remastered studio album as well as the unreleased demos, alternates and outtake recordings pressed on 180-gram vinyl. However, instead of the Colorado concert included in the CD package, the LP version contains a special, exclusive performance from early 1999 titled, An Unmitigated Disaster, a previously unreleased live in-store performance at Tower Records on March 11, 1999, just two days after the album was released. The 10-song set, which was broadcast on Chicago radio station WXRT-FM, highlights several tracks from Summerteeth (“We’re Just Friends,” “How To Fight Loneliness” and “Can’t Stand It”). This show will only be available in the LP collection.

I'm really looking forward to what they decide to do with the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot 20th anniversary celebration next year. I have the AM and Being There anniversary editions and they are both amazing.

Last edited:
I figure it's a good day to post something that brings me unequivocal joy. Nels' solo in Impossible Germany is legendary, of course, but I really think he outdid himself when they were on tour last year.

I fucking miss concerts. Right now, I have tickets for a Wilco/Sleater-Kinney double feature in August 2021 (postponed from last August), and who knows if that is even going to happen.

While I enjoy Cruel Country a good deal, I'm definitely looking forward to this:

AD: Wilco was in the midst of making another record, but changed gears to make Cruel Country. What was the other record like?

Jeff Tweedy: We started on a record before the pandemic and had been chipping away at it. It’s pretty sculpted art pop. It’s alien. The songs are alien shapes, maybe what people think of when they think of the element in Wilco that is “experimental” or something like that. But you know, adjectives kind of fail me. I don’t wanna say “weird” but it’s a more searching type of record, searching for something we haven’t heard before, pushing ourselves and challenging ourselves to make a record that feels worthwhile to add to the pile of records that we’ve made.

https://aquariumdrunkard.com/2022/06/16/jeff-tweedy-on-wilcos-cruel-country/

Back
Top Bottom