What bands just don't click with you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, that makes a lot of sense. Sort of like how I don't like Ireland because of Bloody Sunday. That's really all I know about the country, but I don't want to learn anything more about it.

Not quite the same is it? I'm sure we all apply some form of this logic to the stuff we listen to. I mean I've heard one Justin Bieber song and I don't particularly care to explore his oeuvre. Do we go to see films we actively don't think we'll like?

I dismissed the Cure for years based on hearing only some of Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me, until a few years back, now I love them but that was mainly from getting reacquainted to them from some friends.

Not quite the same is it? I'm sure we all apply some form of this logic to the stuff we listen to. I mean I've heard one Justin Bieber song and I don't particularly care to explore his oeuvre. Do we go to see films we actively don't think we'll like?

I dismissed the Cure for years based on hearing only some of Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me, until a few years back, now I love them but that was mainly from getting reacquainted to them from some friends.

Doesn't your second paragraph dispute your point in the first one?

Doesn't your second paragraph dispute your point in the first one?

A bit, but by then i'd developed a greater interest in music anyway and my taste had broadened out, I just consider myself fortunate to to have rediscovered them, so I consider it a time and place thing for myself when my interests had slightly changed.

We still judge most music by one of two songs we hear though in terms of exploration, you have to have some sort of interest to encourage you to listen more, if what you have heard you haven't liked then there really isn't the impetus to go further. You can't possibly listen to everything, if you had to listen to every album by an artist or even just the supposed best albums (I assume some people consider Bieber to have good albums) before you decided you weren't interested, music would very quickly become a chore.

LJT said:
We still judge most music by one of two songs we hear though in terms of exploration, you have to have some sort of interest to encourage you listen more, if what you have heard you haven't liked then there really isn't the impetus to go further. You can't possibly listen to everything, if you had to listen to every album by an artist or even just the supposed best albums before you decided you weren't interested, music would very quickly become a chore.

:up:

We still judge most music by one of two songs we hear though in terms of exploration, you have to have some sort of interest to encourage you to listen more, if what you have heard you haven't liked then there really isn't the impetus to go further. You can't possibly listen to everything, if you had to listen to every album by an artist or even just the supposed best albums (I assume some people consider Bieber to have good albums) before you decided you weren't interested, music would very quickly become a chore.

I see your point here, but I think it does not take into account the power of suggestion or critical recommendation. There have been plenty of artists for whom I have not initially cared - Interpol and The Clash come to mind immediately - who grew on me owing to assurances from other people that they were worth giving another chance.

iron yuppie said:
I see your point here, but I think it does not take into account the power of suggestion or critical recommendation. There have been plenty of artists for whom I have not initially cared - Interpol and The Clash come to mind immediately - who grew on me owing to assurances from other people that they were worth giving another chance.

We are the 1% though. #Ihatemymates

Animal Collective. Why do people think they are good when they are so clearly terrible (Fall Be Kind EP aside)?

And how are they so bad when Panda Bear is so good on his own? Person Pitch and Tomboy perfect.

(AOTY: Hollow Island)

That's slightly different though, and depends greatly on who your friends with and where you hear about music from. If you don't have those external motivators there remains no need or will to check out those other albums. It's basically why the mix tape was invented. Plus some people are just happy with the music that they are interested in such as the genre nuts, you know the guys who know everything happening in the 'electroclash' scene or whatever but know nothing outside it, those critical recommendations can vary greatly.

We all know Beethoven is highly rated critically and culturally but how many people have listened to everyone of his symphonies or concertos? For every person who appreciated the Clash after giving them another chance there are probably an equal number who's previous opinions were just confirmed. We're a fairly small and self selecting group of music nuts on this forum so our expectations of people can be a bit skewed.

Hollow Island said:
Animal Collective. Why do people think they are good when they are so clearly terrible (Fall Be Kind EP aside)?

Umm because MPP is the shit?!

Headache in a Suitcase said:
I wasn't aware that "everyone" consists only of people on these boards...

That was my intention, yes. I have no idea who Jimmy Buffet is but it seems like most everyone here would agree he sucks.

LuckyNumber7 said:
Nah I just meant that he's popular with a completely different crowd. Somebody like Jay-Z is incredibly popular, but you don't see people on these boards flocking to his concert.

I would! One of the best live shows in hip hop!

Some bands that dont click with me,
Queen, AC/DC(hate them), any screamo music, no metal except for scorpions, an ohh gooddd worst group of the 80's.... WHAM! cant stand the jitterbug.

We all know Beethoven is highly rated critically and culturally but how many people have listened to everyone of his symphonies or concertos?
Lots of people have -- my 96-year-old Grandfather, for example, who has the complete Beethoven on vinyl in his basement. (He's a brass musician himself.)

Plenty of times I've been led to try listening to some music I otherwise wouldn't have because of critical approval by writers or friends. Sometimes I loved that music, sometimes I didn't. The key is be open to the suggestions of sources you respect, but not to blindly let them set your opinions for you.

WHAM! cant stand the jitterbug.
You know what? I would say Wham! is about as good as mindless teen-pop gets (albeit that still isn't that good). George Michael was an extremely talented songwriter and a brilliant singer and arranger. Which is more than one can say for Britney Spears.

"Everything She Wants" is a solid 80's tune!

i tried, and found that i simply don't care enough to try and recall the number of times i've posted "you know, i tried to like this band, i swear i did. i figured mofo likes them, they can't be all bad..." or something to that affect. but los camp! is the only (probably the most recent, that's why) i can think of off the top of my head.

meep.

Back
Top Bottom