Triple J's 2011 Album of the Year Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And here is the final list from yesterday's Hottest 100:

100. The Suburbs - Mr Little Jeans
99. You Should Consider Having Sex With a Bearded Man - The Beards
98. Niggas in Paris - Jay-Z & Kanye West
97. Arlandria - Foo Fighters
96. Machu Picchu - The Strokes
95. Naked Kids - Grouplove
94. Our Perfect Disease - The Wombats
93. Two Way Street - Kimbra
92. The Wilhem Scream - James Blake
91. Fragile Bird - City and Colour
90. Make Some Noise - Beastie Boys
89. Santa Fe - Beirut
88. Shuffle - Bombay Bicycle Club
87. In Your Light - Gotye
86. Light All My Lights - Seeker Lover Keeper
85. Gay Pirates - Cosmo Jarvis
84. Throw It Away (featuring Josh Pyke) - 360
83. Future Starts Slow - The Kills
82. Ritual Union - Little Dragon
81. Biding My Time - Busby Marou
80. The Truth - Pnau
79. Wildfire (featuring Little Dragon) - SBTRKT
78. History's Door - Husky
77. The Look - Metronomy
76. Dreamshaker - Redcoats
75. Shot Yourslef in the Foot Again - Skream & Example
74. Bali Party (featuring Nfa) - Drapht
73. First of the Year (Equinox) - Skrillex
72. Foreign Language - Flight Facilities
71. Arnold - Luke Milion
70. She's Like A Comet - Jebediah
69. Calgary - Bon Iver
68. Don't Sit Down Cause I've Moved Your Chair - Arctic Monkeys
67. Zimbabwe - Navy
66. Perth - Bon Iver
65. Re-wired - Kasabian
64. Raiders - Owl Eyes
63. Rope - Foo Fighters
62. Black Water Rising - Stonefield
61. Lotus Flower - Radiohead
60. Gabriel - Joe Goddard
59. Holy Moses - Washington
58. I Follow Rivers - Lykke Li
57. Lay It Down - The Rubens
56. China - Sparkadia
55. Escapee - Architecture in Helsinki
54. Turn Me On - The Grates
53. Holocene - Bon Iver
52. Good Intent - Kimbra
51. Money - The Drums
50. Part Time Believer - Boy & Bear
49. Milk and Sticks - Boy & Bear
48. A.I.M. Fire! - Art vs Science
47. Mary - Sparkadia
46. Hanging On - Active Child
45. Junk of the Heart (Happy) - The Kooks
44. Speak of the Devil - Hermitude
43. Itchin' on a Photograph - Grouplove
42. What the Water Gave Me - Florence + the Machine
41. Under Cover of Darkness - The Strokes
40. Houdini - Foster the People
39. Cinema (Skrillex remix) - Benny Benassi
38. All I Want Is You - Ball Park Music
37. Killer - 360
36. No Light, No Light - Florence + the Machine
35. Cigarettes - Illy
34. I Feel Better - Gotye
33. Otis (featuring Otis Redding) - Jay-Z and Kanye West
32. L.I.F.E.G.O.E.S.O.N. - Noah and The Whale
31. It's Nice To Be Alive - Ball Park Music
30. Bounce (featuring Kelis) - Calvin Harris
29. Sing It (The Life of Riley) - Drapht
28. Pumped Up Kicks (Like A Version) - Owl Eyes
27. Changed The Way You Kiss Me - Example
26. Techno Fan - The Wombats
25. Cameo Lover - Kimbra
24. 1996 - The Wombats
23. Jungle - Emma Louise
22. Air - Snakadaktal
21. Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites - Skrillex
20. Act Yr Age - Bluejuice
19. Promises - Nero
18. Jump Into The Fog - The Wombats
17. Even Though I'm A Woman - Seeker Lover Keeper
16. Tongue Tied - Grouplove
15. Helena Beat - Foster The People
14. Call It What You Want - Foster The People
13. Shake It Out - Florence + The Machine
12. Contact High - Architecture in Helsinki
11. Feel So Close - Calvin Harris
10. I Love It (featuring Sia) - Hilltop Hoods
9. Endless Summer - The Jezabels
8. Boys Like You (featuring Gossling) - 360
7. Awkward - San Cisco
6. Video Games - Lana Del Rey
5. Midnight City - M83
4. Feeding Line - Boy & Bear
3. Brother - Matt Corby
2. Lonely Boy - The Black Keys
1. Somebody That I Used to Know (featuring Kimbra) - Gotye

Much better list than last year, in my opinion. Still a lot of rubbish, but there always will be with this station. A much better #1 than last year, and hey, Midnight City made the top five, so :up:

51. Money - The Drums
Awesome!

Also, :up: Nero, but I Think the only song I voted for that made the list was "Somebody That I Used to Know" :lol:

Oh, never mind, looks like "Somebody..." didn't end up making my final list:

M83 - Midnight City
Nicki Minaj - Super Bass
Destroyer - Suicide Demo for Kara Walker
Cut Copy - Alisa
Stars Shine Brightest (In the Darkest of Night) - CunninLynguists
Yuck - Suck
Bell X1 - Velcro
Antlers, The - I Dont Want Love
Washed Out - Amor Fati
Baby Missiles - War on Drugs

Pretty underwhelming list if you ask me.

I'm stunned that Washed Out and Yuck didn't make it.

Though #99 is fucking priceless.

I think I've only heard 10 of those songs. Maximum.

I'm so out of the loop.

Inevitably 101-200 is better than 1-100. Hopefully they'll post that soon. 2009 it came up the day after but they waited until well into February to post the 2010 one.

Axver said:
Pretty underwhelming list if you ask me.

I'm stunned that Washed Out and Yuck didn't make it.

Though #99 is fucking priceless.

I am stunned Washed Out didn't make it (and also Big Scary, wtf?!!) but Yuck didn't get much love here did they?

Bugger, looks like I just missed Santa Fe when I started listening. Surprised Niggas in Paris didn't get higher. Also like others said, thought Amor Fati would get in there, seemed like it was on rotation for a while in the middle of the year.

Skrillex and Example are fucking horrible and should be torn from the pages of history.

I'm happy that Gotye won, and obviously not surprised at all - it certainly is the best #1 in a few years.

I'd be struggling to know 75% of those songs. That said, about 4 or 5 of the songs I voted for got there! The absence of any Friendly Fires or War on Drugs is however, appalling.

Also, super impressed to see Calvin Harris and Benny Banassi rank highly, showing that the countdown is thankfully becoming more than just a bearded boho fest.

I didn't listen to it, but my girlfriend was at the Botanic Gardens in St Kilda where there must've been a huge listening party, and as I was walking there to meet up with her, you could hear from streets away, a massive Gotye singalong as the song was played at #1. Was pretty amazing thing to hear. It sounded like a chorus of thousands. Memorable.

I would like to condemn TripleJ on-air announcers for being unable to use 'is' and 'are' appropriately. Fucking illiterates.

I'd like to think that was because most of them were very, very drunk, but a deep part of me knows that it'd be the same story had they been sober.

I am stunned Washed Out didn't make it (and also Big Scary, wtf?!!) but Yuck didn't get much love here did they?

I thought Yuck had done at least reasonably well? But then I guess if they'd had a wave of popularity here, they'd be playing the Corner next week, not the East. (Looking forward to that show though!)

I'd like to condemn Tom & Alex for being fucking idiots

SO MUCH OF THIS.

I'd also like to condemn TripleJ for mixing their hourly news bulletins about ten times lower than the surrounding programming.

Not, I hasten to add, that the news in question is anything resembling must-hear journalism, but we're talking about flow here, comrades.

I would furthermore and in addition like to lambast the station for their weekly 'Like A Version' segments. I never catch them at the time (since I rarely rise before 9am), but the gang make sure we get our fill with selected repeats later on.

It is glorified busking is what it is. If I wanted to listen to the dude outside the IGA hollering Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, well, I guess I'd do that. This is glorified busking, much like the entire Australian music scene.

Kieran McConville said:
This is glorified busking, much like the entire Australian music scene.

Truth.

Related - post Hottest 100, just exposed myself to Boy and Bear (perfectly 'ok') and 360 (w.t.F! is that?) for the first time.

I would furthermore and in addition like to lambast the station for their weekly 'Like A Version' segments. I never catch them at the time (since I rarely rise before 9am), but the gang make sure we get our fill with selected repeats later on.

It is glorified busking is what it is. If I wanted to listen to the dude outside the IGA hollering Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, well, I guess I'd do that. This is glorified busking, much like the entire Australian music scene.

Utterly quality post. My brother, a musician, generally doesn't listen to Australian music, but he can identify a curren JJJ supa-we-love-music-hit for much the same reasons as you have described. There is very little genuine talent floating in the pool these days. And Like A Version is tosh even when there's a band I like playing. Few artists know how to make something interesting out of an acoustic cover, unfortunately.

I'm trying to figure out if I live in a different Australia to the rest of you. The local music scene in my Australia is pretty damn awesome. I think it's pretty exciting to live in a country that has Sleepmakeswaves, Alpine, Laura, Love Of Diagrams, The Night Terrors, My Disco, HTRK, Meniscus, Sugar Army, Beaches, Cloud Control, Woods Of Desolation, DZ Deathrays, Ne Obliviscaris, Big Scary, An Horse ... I could keep going. Our post-rock scene in particular is one of the best in the world.

That said, yes, Like A Version does indeed tend to produce shit.

I actually like Cloud Control and Alpine, to name two. I don't like Big Scary, but different strokes for different folks.

It's just... they aren't the guys getting the big hype, in general. So maybe what I'm really slamming here is the overtly visible Australian music scene. In a way I know I'm talking out of my ass, but it's pure frustration driving it.

I think sometimes half the problem is the need for the station (the subject of this thread) to skew young. So you get the combination of:

a. it's a relatively small pool, the country doesn't have that many people in it

b. the station deliberately skews young, so forget about hearing Dave Graney's new album (not saying it deserves to be heard, but maybe it does. Forget, incidentally, about hearing new material from any of the 'aussie legends' the station chooses to tribute; possible exception for Nick Cave. Again, often this neglect is well-enough founded. Possibly not always.)

c. very young artists (like highschool kids, in some cases) don't have anything very interesting to say. That's half the problem right there. When you look back over the decades, the kids were often rocking out to music by men (& the occasional woman) in their late twenties or early thirties. Young enough to have some fire in the belly, old enough to have a few things worth saying.

Voting for the 2012 list has opened! My fellow Australians and my foreign friends, get on and vote.

Hottest 100 - 2012 | triple j

Mine was the same top 10 as per my blog and post in the 2012 list thread, though I forgot to include a Something for Kate song, so I'll probably do another post.

No particular order:

Chairlift - I Belong In Your Arms
Charli XCX - Nuclear Seasons
Cloud Nothings - Stay Useless
Japandroids - The House That Heaven Built
Killers, The - Runaways
Metric - The Wanderlust
Passion Pit - Cry Like A Ghost
Spiritualized - Hey Jane
Stars - The Theory Of Relativity
Twin Shadow - - Five Seconds

My Votes | triple j's Hottest 100 | 2012