Tom Petty Rushed to Hospital in full cardiac arrest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Our collection of true rock stars who are still out there doing their thing is really shrinking... These past two years have been especially unkind.

I want 24 hour protection around Springsteen and Eddie Vedder at all times.

2016 was awful and seemed like it could never be "topped".
2017 is suddenly giving it a run for its money.

My favorite Tom & The Heartbreakers tune:

I can never decide if I love this album or if there are just a handful of absolute stunners on it. But this is a great one.

Going through the discography over the next couple weeks. Re-visit to the debut. Hot damn that thing is flames. So so so good.

After the nuclear holocaust, all that will remain is Keef sitting around the campfire, playing songs to a crowd of cockroaches while eating Twinkies.

Yeah, he's gonna live til he's 135 years old.

2018 it is.

After the nuclear holocaust, all that will remain is Keef sitting around the campfire, playing songs to a crowd of cockroaches while eating Twinkies.

Shit, Keef would probably smoke the Twinkies.

I remember the first time I heard Free Fallin', the mastery of Tom Petty's music finally set in. It was late Summer of 1989 and I was nearly 17. Free Fallin' hadn't been released as a single yet and we were giving Full Moon Fever a listen in my friend's Ford Bronco II. Fords had some awesome stock sound systems, so the song sounded incredible coming out of the speakers. Everything about the song blew me away. The lyrics, the vocals, the guitars, the beat, etc. From that day forward, I was a fan of Tom Petty.

The 8th graders and I listened to a couple of Tom Petty songs this morning, and one girl made a note to listen to the Wildflowers album. And of course I played It's Good to Be King at yoga class. I don't think it has fully hit me yet.

“My vision of a rock and roll band wasn’t one that cuddled up to politicians, or went down the red carpet. That kind of thing you see so much of today,” Mr. Petty said in a 2009 interview with The Wall Street Journal. “I felt like once that stuff starts happening your audience doesn’t know whether to trust you or not.”

Great quote.

The last couple of days I've dusted off some Petty stuff I haven't listened to in ages, he was so great - will miss him.

“My vision of a rock and roll band wasn’t one that cuddled up to politicians, or went down the red carpet. That kind of thing you see so much of today,” Mr. Petty said in a 2009 interview with The Wall Street Journal. “I felt like once that stuff starts happening your audience doesn’t know whether to trust you or not.”

Great quote.

Don’t be Petty.

When I signed up for one of those CD clubs way back when, Petty's greatest hits was one of the albums I requested in the initial offer. That is just about as solid a collection of rock songs as anything out there. Really a template for what a greatest hits should be.

Was reading today about the issue regarding the undeniable similarities between Petty's "Won't Back Down" and Sam Smith's "Stay With Me." Petty could not have been more gracious in how he handled it. What a class act.

“About the Sam Smith thing. Let me say I have never had any hard feelings toward Sam. All my years of songwriting have shown me these things can happen. Most times you catch it before it gets out the studio door but in this case it got by. Sam’s people were very understanding of our predicament and we easily came to an agreement. The word lawsuit was never even said and was never my intention. And no more was to be said about it. How it got out to the press is beyond Sam or myself. Sam did the right thing and I have thought no more about this. A musical accident no more no less. In these times we live in this is hardly news. I wish Sam all the best for his ongoing career. Peace and love to all.”

I liked this. Tom Petty tribute at the Florida-LSU game today. Tom was born and raised in Gainesville

Last edited:
The Killers covered both American Girl and The Waiting during their ACL set tonight

Back
Top Bottom