Think long and hard, back to your childhood and tell us how you got into music!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Back in the UK in the early 70's, my parents owned a cafe/fish and chip shop. It came with a jukebox, and since both my parent's didn't speak/read much English, one of my tasks (I had to help out on weekends even though I was only 10/11 years old) , was to make sure the jukebox always had the latest hit singles. So not only that but I heard music pretty much all day on weekends by working there.

My earliest "music memories" are of 'Suspicious minds', 'Bad Moon Rising', 'Band of Gold', 'Tears of a Clown', 'Maggie May', 'Alright now' (the originals !).

Then my first 'real' music phase wher I bought my own albums/8 tracks: Early 70's glam, Sweet, T-Rex, Bowie, Roxy, Slade, Wizzard,

A lot of my music taste came from my dad; he was always listening to Springsteen, U2, Aslan (An Irish band who I love so much and hate that they never made it), The Beatles etc. and my mother never really cared about music that much and the other people in my house were mostly radio lovers so basically I grew up like any kid in the 90s listening to whatever was on the radio, but I never really had any serious interest in music.

S Club 7 were my first concert and I loved them and thought they were so cool "live". And it was when I was like 11, I was given a copy of What's the Story Morning Glory? And I listened to it to death, I thought it was just the most amazing album ever. And Then When Heathen Chemistry came out I asked for it for Christmas and when I got it was so disappointed and again lost interest in music...and sometime after that I saw Wayne's World and ended up buying Queen's Greatest Hits which I loved but never got really into music it was just an album and for some reason it never made me want more.

And then one day I was bored and went into my parent's room and looked at my dad's cds and took out All That You Can't Leave Behind and Wild One (The Best of Thin Lizzy). They were bands who I'd always heard and thought maybe I could enjoy listening to their albums and then I did and it suddenly dawned on me again how amazing music could sound and I couldn't stop listening to those albums and an obsession was born from that.

I have several strong memories of music as a child:

- my father has a Halloween tradition of every year playing Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield, I can remember being very young and hearing this for the first time - he still plays the old record despite the fact that I bought him the CD...

- I have a vivid memory being at my cottage making sand castles on the beach and hearing the intro of Time by Pink Floyd with the clocks chiming...

Thanks to this thread, I'm seeking out oldies singles. :love:

:hi5:

Okay I remembered some more stuff! :shifty: Sometime in the early 80's when I was a wee tot, we used to watch a lot of German programmes on Indian TV! Everything would be from Transtel Cologne for some reason! :lol: Didi's Comedy Show (comedian Dieter Hallervorden), Telematch, Shoestring (some drama series or something) and also... Musik Laden. :drool: :lol: Musik Laden was this German version of Top of the Pops I think. I vaguely remember watching performances by Dolly Parton (Jolene), Twiggy, Baccara (Yes Sir I Can Boogie :eeklaugh: ) and some song that went "Suzanna, I'm crazy loving you"... oh wait, the band was called Art Company apparently. Thanks, Google! It was like a mish mash of 70s disco and 80s pop I think! :lol:

Oh and Beav, you might get a kick out of this... My second cassette... :shifty:... had such amazingly classic and fantabulous songs like... Steve Winwood's Higher Love, Dionne Warwick & Friends That's What Friends Are For, Bruce Hornsby's Mandolin Rain, Barbra Streisand's Somewhere etc. Adult Contemporary childhood! lol

For me, music first came into my life with The Wiggles. .

Awww. The Wiggles, They where good back in the day when Greg was in it.

they first cd ever given to me was their christmas album. :D I still have it, and play it ever christmas.

This thread is useless without pics.

I remember seeing the Cockroaches on Countdown. Geez they were average :cute: If they had been successful, the world would have been spared the Wiggles..... :grumpy:

My parents are classical musicians, so music was always, from first memory, a vital part my life as well as my older brother's.

At a very young age my parents put a Raffi(remember him?) video in front of me and I loved it - five little ducks, rise and shine, baby balooga, the more we get together, etc. This was like ages 3-6.

My first exposure to pop/rock music was The Beatles. My parents and my brother played them a lot. I didn't know what the songs were called but I always loved them from the very beginning.

As is common, a big part of my early exposure to pop/rock music was through my older brother's CD/Cassette collection and MTV(back in the day when it was worth something).

So the first pop/rock song that I liked where I was consciously aware of what it was called and who it was was 'When It's Love' by Hagar-era Van Halen. I played it over and over. Today, I think it's an ok song, catchy at times but repetitive and not all that interesting. But back then, I loved it.

After that, I discovered Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Green Day, and others in my brother's collection(he was a teenager in the early 90s, it was a typical collection), and I was off.

A while after that I listened to my dad's whole Beatles collection in depth for the first time.

After that, it's just a cross of mid-late 90s alternative bands, 00s bands, and classic bands being discovered at one time or another. Always evolving.

The first CD I bought was The Best Of 1980-1990, by U2, after listening to both "The Sweetest Thing" and "You Get What You Give" by the New Radicals, thinking U2 played both songs.

I was 11 years old

This is a fantastic thread - great to hear how everyone discovered music! :hi5:

I grew up in a very musical family (my dad's cousin is a well-known Canadian singer [mostly for his stuff in the late 80's and 90's], and my mom was a singer in a band in the 70's), so I grew up with music constantly in the house. I took piano lessons, then eventually moved on to guitar. I've always been involved in singing in some way or another since I was a baby - I'd sing in church, in community choirs, was in several musicals, and was a part of an honours music program in high school. I continued on with singing into university, but haven't done much of that since then, although I'd really love to pick that up again. I still play guitar, though.

I can't remember the first song I ever heard, but like namkcuR, I definitely do remember listening to Raffi, Charlotte Diamond, etc. as a wee child.

As I got older, I was really interested in the hundreds of records my parents had, so I listened to a lot of Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Janis Joplin, Beach Boys, The Byrds, Mammas and the Pappas, etc. starting when I was probably 8 or 9, I think.

By the time I was 15, I was a huge Beatles fan. My mom had all the records, and would tell me stories of being a part of Beatle-mania, which was really cool to hear. I listened to them constantly, and always had the radio tuned to the Oldies station. I got to know the DJ's pretty well, as I'd always call in to request songs. Every Sunday morning they'd have Beatles Brunch, where they'd focus on a specific album or era, and play interviews, live songs, etc. Very fun to listen to!

Of course in the mid-90's I got really into Nirvana, Green Day, Pearl Jam, etc. and was also a big fan of ska and swing music.

Right now I mostly listen to British singers/bands, but I'll listen to pretty much anything except for country. :)

The first songs I remember liking were Belinda Carlile Turn The Light On For Me
I Think We're Alone Now
(Tammy)
Radio Ga Ga (Queen)
Respectable (Mel & Kym) SAW at their best
I Just Called To Say I love You (Stevie)
Groovy Kinda Heart (Phil Collins)
Don't Worry (Kym Appleby)
Salt'n'Pepa
A-HA

I don't think we had a record player or even a cassette player that worked until I was 9. In fact I remember rightly until my mum borrowed this old tape player from an employer where she played Elton John and Madonna's Immaculate Collection on, the only time I used to hear music was on the local radio station, Top Of The Pops and The Chart Show. It wasn't until we got a video recorder and we rented Moonwalk that I started getting more into music. Jacko was my first crush, i remember mum buying me Thriller (she said she seen and she couldn't see why anyone under 15 couldn't see it. Bloody tame compared to the zombie films it was based on).

She also got me Rhythem Nation video by Janet. I used to practice her dance moves all the time. MC Hammer, and I know they were pretty awful but dance group Technotronic had an appeal to a lot of girls my age. A few years ago I managed to download Rockin' Over The Melody. I never heard the song all the way though, I only heard a snippet in this mix of all their songs, the video never had the full version of the song. My word did that song bring back memories.

And then I was given this clunky old personal cassette player from a friend of mum's where the door to the tape holder kept falling off and I used to listen to Spellbound by Paula Abdul.

Up until I saw naughty Liam Gallagher at the Brit Awards in 1996 and Jarvis Cocker run onto Michael Jacksons stage and I got into Indie music, I mainly was into dance music, Ace of Base, UB40, Human League, Music Box by Mariah Carrie, Eternal and Return To Innocence (Enigma). We had a descent record player with a CD by then. My mum hated U2, but she got into them through me. It wasn't until I borrowed Pop and Achtung Baby from a neighbour the following year that I got into them. I remember liking HMTMKMKM and the dance version of EBTTRT before.

Then I went into my Metal stage.

But it's really not until the last 4 years that I really started getting into U2.

I just mentioned in the Kylie!!! thread that her song "Locomotion" introduced me to music, when I was 5. Then came "Take My Breath Away". Then I got into the New Kids On The Block like all other girls my age. And it was all about music from there on.

My parents were never what you consider 'music lovers', but they always had a radio playing when I was growing up. They most often listened to country stations when I was a wee tot, but there was generally a rock station playing somewhere around the house or in the car. I credit Gary Rafferty's 'Baker Street' as the starting point of my personal love affair with music. I distinctly remember hearing it on the radio and falling in love with it - especially the sax solo. I must have been about 5 years old & it stuck with me; I ended up playing tenor sax in jazz/pops band & orchestra during middle & high school. I remember loving Eileen Elliman's 'If I Can't Have You'; Elton John's 'Benny & The Jets'; Supertramp's 'Breakfast in America'; Helen Reddy was also a great favorite when I was around 7 or so. Particularly 'Delta Dawn' (Dawn's my middle name & I was always so excited to hear it on the radio in a song :hyper: :cute: ).

Anyway, by my teenage years I was all about Quaterflash, Pat Benatar, Queen, Berlin, The Police, U2, Kajagoogoo, INXS, Duran Duran, The Eurythmics, Soft Cell, Modern English, Roxy Music, The Clash, Big Country, Human League, Simple Minds..... good grief, I could go on forever. About 12-13 years old, I also got really interested in 50's/60's stuff, too - The Supremes, Beatles, Frankie Avalon, The Four Tops, Petula Clark, The Dave Clark 5, The Beach Boys, The Royal Guardsman.... you get the picture.

I'm still all over the place with my listening habits... rock, some rap, some dance, oldies, etc. Great thread idea - I love learning about other's developmental years. :D

The first music I was into as a youngster was from Disney. I think the first movie I ever saw in a theater was "Pinochio" when I was three or four (this was back when they re-released the classic Disney films in theaters from time to time because there weren't any VCRs yet). I loved "When You Wish Upon A Star." I still do, in fact. My first records were of songs from those old Disney movies.

A bit later on, I got into what my older siblings listened to. My sister, who I shared a room with, loved Broadway musicals and played those records all the time. As for my brothers, they listened to the Beatles.

I didn't really listen to music on the radio much until I was 11 or so and got my own radio for Christmas. I mostly listened to whatever happened to be on the Top 40 when I was in junior high and high school. I lived in a small town and that's about all there was on the radio for music (except country, which I hated). Then my musical soul was saved by Bruce Springsteen, and then U2.

Back
Top Bottom