The White Stripes - Icky Thump, Etc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Un update on the album. Could be out in June.

Exclusive - NME.COM hears new White Stripes songs
'Icky Thump' tracks previewed in London
02.Mar.07 2:10pm
NME.COM has been given exclusive first preview of the new White Stripes album 'Icky Thump' today (March 2).

Three song from the the follow-up to 2005's 'Get Behind Me Satan' were aired at a special playback at London's Soho Revue Bar.

The duo recently recorded and mixed their new album at Nashville, Tennessee's Blackbird Studio.

Here's NME.COM's verdict on the three tracks we heard:

'Icky Thump'
Starts with Meg on pounding bass drums, then breaks into an experimental, heavy sounding 70s riff, that at points varies from a 'Black Math'-like rock sound to electronic sounding, processed sections. The vocals almost never repeat themselves as and there's little conventional structure. Jack's vocals are heavily treated in the production with one of the few clear lyrics in this mainly instrumental track, going, "Why don't you kick yourself out, you're an immigrant too".

'What Love Is'
A more classic sounding White Stripes song recalling 'White Blood Cells'-era. It's a strong, melodic love song with Jack singing the following for the chorus: "You're not hopeless or helpless/I hate to sound cold/But you don't know what love is/You do as you're told".

'Conquest'
The biggest departure of the three tracks previewed. It's an unexpected mix of big guitars and a bold horn section. Boasting a Spanish, Latin feel, it's a third person storytelling song about a serial womaniser, who finally meets his match. "Conquest, he was out to make a conquest" sings Jack. "She was just another conquest, but the hunted became the huntress".

Generally the feel with these tracks, is the band are back to big sounding guitars, but allying that with some very experimental, almost electronic sections.

Interestingly the three tracks were accompanied by an in the studio video of the duo recording the songs, and teasingly one section even feature a bagpipe player, though the instrument didn't appear on any of the tracks.

The tracklisting for the album will also include:

'Catch Hell Blues'
'Little Cream Soda'
'Rag And Bone'
'Clicky Bump'
'You Don't Know What Love Is (Just Do As You're Told)'
'I'm Slowly Turning Into You'

A date is still to be set for the album's release, but it is expected to be out in June

Does noone realise the title is from the great Lancastrian form of martial arts known as Ecky Thump!

Does noone watch the Goodies????

Philistines, the lottaya! :tsk:

I wonder if NME's list is all thats going to be on the Album?, 9 Tracks is a bit short from A Stripes Albums, Granted, The Raconteurs was 10 tracks....But I'm thinking there will be more than just 9 tracks.

Superb! I thought with the Raconteurs touring recently, it would be quite a while unitl we heard anything from the White Stripes.

Quite funny how they have called it Icky Thump!

As Blueeyedgirl states, it is pronounced in this part of the world as Ecky Thump, a term to show surprise at something. As follows:

Barman: "There you are, a pint of lager. That will be £3.50 please."

Customer: "£3.50?.... Ecky Thump!"

Its reet Lancashire twang!

01 Icky Thump
02 You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do as You're Told)
03 300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues
04 Conquest
05 Bone Broke
06 Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn
07 St. Andrew (This Battle Is in the Air)
08 Little Cream Soda
09 Rag and Bone
10 I'm Slowly Turning Into You
11 A Martyr for My Love for You
12 Catch Hell Blues
13 Effect and Cause

I love some of those titles. I'm also glad to see they continue the tradition of having a "Little" song.

inmyplace13 said:
01 Icky Thump
02 You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do as You're Told)
03 300 MPH Torrential Outpour Blues
04 Conquest
05 Bone Broke
06 Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn
07 St. Andrew (This Battle Is in the Air)
08 Little Cream Soda
09 Rag and Bone
10 I'm Slowly Turning Into You
11 A Martyr for My Love for You
12 Catch Hell Blues
13 Effect and Cause

I love some of those titles. I'm also glad to see they continue the tradition of having a "Little" song.

I know one can't judge an album based on titles alone, but it sounds promising so far. :up:

I just read in Rolling Stone that he also hopes to finish AND tour the second Raconteurs album this year as well.

Two albums, two tours, two bands.

:crazy:

I don't have any of their albums but have heard most of their hits and Elephant in it's entirety.

Hardest Button to Button :drool:

Icky Thump is a great name! :lol:

29234ickythumpcoverep7.jpg

June 19th.

No its true she's getting hotter :)

Oh I can't wait for this :hyper:....If Jacks planning on releasing two albums and touring twice, maybe the Raconteurs can open for the white stripes! :lol:

2007's new releases = :drool:

Love it!!!!!! :love:

Amazing...no matter what kind of getups they're sporting, they always look good. :drool:

Anu said:

Why couldn't they release dis before the 'roo, though?

I'm sure it will leak before then. You will have heard the new songs in time.

Back
Top Bottom