The White Stripes are done.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I speak for all of us when I say
idycnq.gif

1. Fuck
2. Fucking shit fuck god damn asshole concubine fuck
3. Part of me doesn't believe it, and will still hold out hope
4. It makes sense, if you think about it. If they feel they can't live up to what they've done the past, why ruin the legacy with something forced?
5. Even still, it would really, really surprise me if it did come down to that. The music this band made always seemed to come so easy to Jack. Which honestly makes me guess that this is mostly Meg's decision.
6. Fucking god damn it, this sucks.

This is awful news, but I can't say that I am surprised. I just hope that Meg is in a positive mental state and Jack finds an outlet for the type of songs that he wrote for the Stripes.

This blows, and I find myself feeling very nostalgic and, yes, grateful for all the music they did give us.

I can't say I've listened to them a whole lot recently, but for a number of years there this was just about my favorite band in the world and their music owned my life.

I am going to go on a massive White Stripes listening binge right now. I'm thinking about listening to their entire discography straight through. Maybe with a beer or two.

The silver lining seems to be that Jack will apparently release Stripes bootlegs and rare studio tracks every so often.

The streets of Utah will run red with blood tonight, a seven nation army won't hold me back.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

To be more specific:

I dislike this decision and it's hard to make any sense of it when one considers how much "magic" is inherent in their recording process. There has always been something of ease and naivety about it that made their music special, and I don't think there was any chance of them losing that. Their budget had increased and White had become more ubiquitous a presence in the recording industry, but there was no change in his approach to recording music as far as the White Stripes were concerned. They were always different from his side projects because democracy isn't an issue when you're just a duo: they hit on a sound or idea, and, two weeks later, a new album would be finished and it would kick ass. They made the concept of recording music of my own a very welcoming one, and they made the relationship of artist and fan one of awe for the first time since hair metal bands decided to make themselves unworthy of it. I do believe they are looking out for their fans with this decision, but I'm just not sure this is going to stick, and I anticipate a reunion gig(s) within the next 5 years or so.

They were definitely one of my favorite bands growing up, one of the first Pitchfork-approved bands to really stick. I was raised on classic rock, and the White Stripes really gave me faith as a kid that my father was wrong all along: great rock music is still around, and some of it still feels lost in time. Of course, without the White Stripes around, there will be considerably less of it. Don't let us down, Jack. Keep on rocking with whatever group of indie assholes you enlist. And Meg, bless your heart, I hope you're able to reclaim your best as one of the most awesome chick drummers around, but you'll always have my support.

In conclusion: :rockon:

1. Fuck
2. Fucking shit fuck god damn asshole concubine fuck
3. Part of me doesn't believe it, and will still hold out hope
4. It makes sense, if you think about it. If they feel they can't live up to what they've done the past, why ruin the legacy with something forced?
5. Even still, it would really, really surprise me if it did come down to that. The music this band made always seemed to come so easy to Jack. Which honestly makes me guess that this is mostly Meg's decision.
6. Fucking god damn it, this sucks.

You said it for me.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

To be more specific:

I dislike this decision and it's hard to make any sense of it when one considers how much "magic" is inherent in their recording process. There has always been something of ease and naivety about it that made their music special, and I don't think there was any chance of them losing that. Their budget had increased and White had become more ubiquitous a presence in the recording industry, but there was no change in his approach to recording music as far as the White Stripes were concerned. They were always different from his side projects because democracy isn't an issue when you're just a duo: they hit on a sound or idea, and, two weeks later, a new album would be finished and it would kick ass. They made the concept of recording music of my own a very welcoming one, and they made the relationship of artist and fan one of awe for the first time since hair metal bands decided to make themselves unworthy of it. I do believe they are looking out for their fans with this decision, but I'm just not sure this is going to stick, and I anticipate a reunion gig(s) within the next 5 years or so.

And this too.

DAMMIT.

You know, this may be partially my fault. Just yesterday I was wondering to myself when the last calendar year in which Jackie Boy didn't put out a record of some sort was.

It was 2004, if you're keeping score at home.

You know, this may be partially my fault. Just yesterday I was wondering to myself when the last calendar year in which Jackie Boy didn't put out a record of some sort was.

It was 2004, if you're keeping score at home.

Well, he produced and played on Loretta Lynn's Van Lear Rose that year, so he was still busy.

I was hoping we'd get one more White Stripes album out of them...

Well yeah, but I wasn't really counting that one.

Thinking back on it, I feel lucky I ever got to see them live. Eight years ago. Shit, cat.

Oh fuck fuck fuck :sad: It's not a total shock of course, but I was hoping that in the end they'd regroup and make more music together. But I wonder if they did try it and then decided that the magic simply wasn't there anymore?

Anyway, thanks for the great music Jack and Meg, and the wonderful three shows I was lucky to see.

Back
Top Bottom