The Weather Station - Ignorance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I've been on this site a long time, so by now I think I know pretty well what's going to be a hit here. When I heard this album, which just came out last night, I knew I had to make a thread for it.

The Weather Station is a project fronted by Tamara Lindeman that has been around since the 2000s, but Pitchfork gave this new album a 9.0 and now everyone is talking about it. Pitchfork's opinions are bland at best these days, but I really think they got one right here. This is one of the most skillfully-crafted and flawless art pop albums I've heard in a while, classy and expertly-produced with rich vocals and great songwriting.

I've seen people compare it to the last Weyes Blood album, and there are some songs where that is the case (like Trust), but I think its chamber influences give off serious Julia Holter and The National vibes. A very familiar and comfortable album for sure, but never dull. It's like a warm bath.

I'm going to listen to some of their older albums and report back.

Last edited:
IDK, the album came out yesterday and debuted on Metacritic with an 88, so I don't know that Pitchfork was the driving force on this one, but I'm sure they're not gonna hurt it either ;)

Am I crazy or does anyone else hear "The Unforgettable Fire"esque piano on this track?

I've been on this site a long time, so by now I think I know pretty well what's going to be a hit here. When I heard this album, which just came out last night, I knew I had to make a thread for it.

The Weather Station is a project fronted by Tamara Lindeman that has been around since the 2000s, but Pitchfork gave this new album a 9.0 and now everyone is talking about it. Pitchfork's opinions are bland at best these days, but I really think they got one right here. This is one of the most skillfully-crafted and flawless art pop albums I've heard in a while, classy and expertly-produced with rich vocals and great songwriting.

I've seen people compare it to the last Weyes Blood album, and there are some songs where that is the case (like Trust), but I think its chamber influences give off serious Julia Holter and The National vibes. A very familiar and comfortable album for sure, but never dull. It's like a warm bath.

I think you are spot on with the prediction that this will be a B&C hit. I see a top 10 placement in its future.

Julia Holter circa Have You in My Wilderness is pretty close (like Lucette Stranded on the Island, for example). But the second half was full of Sharon Van Etten vibes, especially her new record with the electronic beats. Robber and Atlantic were the two favorites on my first go through.

I'm going to head off to Rough Trade at noon to try to pick this up.

Last edited:
This is two Fridays in a row that I heard an album I loved so much that I bought the vinyl, listened to it twice in a row, and decided it was already in my top 5 albums of the year.

If this and Arlo Parks aren't my #2 and #1 albums, respectively, at the end of the year, I'm gonna be shocked.

I think you are spot on with the prediction that this will be a B&C hit. I see a top 10 placement in its future.

Julia Holter circa Have You in My Wilderness is pretty close (like Lucette Stranded on the Island, for example). But the second half was full of Sharon Van Etten vibes, especially her new record with the electronic beats. Robber and Atlantic were the two favorites on my first go through.

I'm going to head off to Rough Trade at noon to try to pick this up.
Yes, it really does sound like the last Sharon Van Etten record. It's got the voice, the electronic treatments, the familiar comfort food chord changes (like how Seventeen sounds like 10 different songs but still unique), it's great.

As mentioned above, our silver vinyl copy is on its way.

Allmusic sang her praises as well, but I found it interesting that this was the first album of hers they took the time to review. It seems that switching labels and steering away from contemporary folk sounds helped her to reach a larger audience. Maybe the next album will be even bigger.

saw the review, and have it open as a tab to remind me to listen to it.

god, I'd really like to find somewhere else other than Pitchfork for my music recs though.

saw the review, and have it open as a tab to remind me to listen to it.

god, I'd really like to find somewhere else other than Pitchfork for my music recs though.
LOL I get most of my finds from RYM but in this case it only blew up over there because of Pitchfork. It happens.

My method remains to listen to pretty much anything new from the week that gets over a 70 or so on Metacritic.

It's hard to keep up with, but it's the only thing I trust.

My method remains to listen to pretty much anything new from the week that gets over a 70 or so on Metacritic.

It's hard to keep up with, but it's the only thing I trust.

That's like every single album that gets released isn't it? :lol:

I’ve listened to Loyalty and the self-titled now. Loyalty is a straightforward contemporary folk album, which reminded a bit of Joan Shelley. Very pleasant, but not particularly remarkable unless you enjoy the genre (which I do). The self-titled sounds more like a transitional album, venturing outside the genre, with more of an Americana feel than straight folk, and definitely more pop oriented. Some of it made me think of Kacey Musgraces’ Golden Hour, a record that I enjoy a good deal. They are not nearly as accomplished as Ignorance, but I’m glad I listened to both.

I listened. Not my cup of tea at all, but I can see the artistic merit so kudos.

I've always wondered why there are so few albums on Metacritic that score in the lower zones, whereas there are many films that land there.

I've always wondered why there are so few albums on Metacritic that score in the lower zones, whereas there are many films that land there.

I would guess selection bias: there is more music than films in general, and fewer music reviews than movie reviews these days, so publications might simply choose not review bad albums - whereas most films get reviewed.

It's odd how you have to kinda mentally set expectations per medium with reviews:

Video Games = Less than a 90? Don't bother.
Music = Less than a 75? Don't bother
Movies = I'll go as low as 55 before I nope out of a film.

Having spent a bit more time with it, I think the best two songs here are Tried to Tell You and then that gorgeous closer, Subdivisions. This was the song that initially made me thing of Sharon Van Etten (circa Are You There?), with Tamara's contralto, that steel guitar, the Americana imagery, the meditative, longing quality, and the slow instrumental buildup through the song. The way she sings "clear" at the end of the chorus gets me every time.

Robber and Atlantic were the highlights on first listen, and I still like those two, but this is such a rich, deep album. There are no weak songs in it really. Looking forward to my vinyl copy arriving - the hype is so real that my copy is now delayed to mid-March.

This is really good. I've listened a few times through and none of it is really sticking with me, but I love it when it's on. I get similar sort of vibes to it that I get from Overview on Phenomenal Nature, in that they both feel like warm hugs on a wintry day.

It's at the sticking stage now. Tremendous album.

Robber is to die for, it's got touches of that Bowie tortured horn, I love the way the percussion, strings and piano play together so intricately. It's got a great crescendo. I definitely hear the TUF progression in Atlantic now, Ashley. And it flows so fucking well out of Robber. The "it kills me when I..." part of Parking Lot is to die for. The chorus of Lost is majestic. Trust is lovely, love that National-esque piano and her lilting vocals on it. "Separated by the belief this cut can heal..." / "I tried to wear the world like some kind of garment" are two great lines back to back. Heart is heartbreakingly lovely. And then there's that Floyd-esque (maybe?) organ/piano upwards swirl which leads to taking Subdivisions to heaven.

Really happy you are enjoying it. Agreed with all your highlights. Such an incredibly consistent and beautiful album. Easily my AOTY.

Nine months later and this is still so fucking good. It’s one of my favorite albums in years. I really really need to see them live (which is happening, assuming things don’t go to shit again, in January). The deluxe version came out last week and I enjoy the live versions and some of the alternate arrangements. The piano version of Subdivisions, though not that different, is so so pretty. Her vocal take there is somehow even stronger than in the original. What a voice she has.

That closing of the Pitchfork set with Robber - Tried to Tell You - Parking Lot - Subdivisions sounds like heaven.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom