The Vinyl Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Caved and ordered the M83 and St. Vincent 7"s from store sites with leftover stock. Never saw them while I was out, but I know where to go next year!

Good finds.

I think I might go down to Waterloo during lunch in hopes they've got a Misty loser edition.

Here's how my Heady Fwends turned out :D

2dc75502.jpg

Kinda bummed there's no download code and it came in two separate covers, but holy shit balls do they look sick.

They've also been inscribed with these pearls of wisdom

"So girl you and me can watch each other pee"
"I'll ask the insect oh does he feel pain when he dies"
"You must be upgraded!!!"
"Thank you Doctor Who!!!"
"You always want to shave my balls"

Must have been Wayne, it's got his signature three exclamation marks, and well. Who the hell else would do it?

What does everyone else's say?

The blood records are unreal. Your Fwends turned out really nice (although not sure I'd stack them bare on each other like that). It totally sucks about the two separate sleeves thing though. Especially given it was a $37 record. Make it gatefold.

I had to do what I did for my King of Limbs newspaper edition and carefully cut a slit down the right side of the bag. So now the original bag is acting as a sleeve.

What does everyone else's say?

They're all the same, except 60% or so have YOU MUST BE UPGRADED!!! THANK YOU DOCTOR WHO!!! in the A side runout and 40% have YOU AND ME WE KNOW THAT LOVE IS TRUE.

The Doctor Who one means there is a Doctor Who sample on the Kesha track. The other one means there is a Henry Rollins sample instead. Not sure what difference it makes in terms of collectability. I've got a Rollins, for what it's worth.

Oops, yeah, probably should be a bit more careful. It ended up costing me almost $50 so I was pretty bummed, but I found a quality rip pretty quickly so no big deal.

The other thing I wanna ask you two is what do you think of the actual music? :lol: I actually really like it. Highlights for me are Ashes in the Air, Children of the Moon and Is David Bowie Dying? but there's hardly a dud track, I reckon. I've never seen a second of Doctor Who so I missed the sample.

Flaming Lips making Heady Fwends | ramblings from djp

Blood records are $2,500 each. 10 copies.

I actually loved the release and think it functions well as an album. Of the stuff we hadn't heard already, the Tame Impala, Badu, Chris Martin, and Bon Iver tracks are my personal highlights. I get lost in the Badu one.

My complaints have nothing to do with the music. I'm just bummed about the weak packaging and the quality control by A&R. I've got a divot in the last few grooves on my A side that drives me insane by making a loud click every rotation for the last 30 seconds or so. And allegedly the Rollins versions have more surface noise that the Doctor Who ones, but that might be conjecture.

It's also worth mentioning that, like Childish Gambino, I have very little objectivity when it comes to the Lips. I'm gonna like anything they do because they do it with such love.

Also, I think $2500 is totally reasonable for the blood records. If I were rich, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

I actually loved the release and think it functions well as an album.

I agree that the tracks work well as an album. I've finally given up waiting for a digital release and I'm ripping my vinyl copy.

My complaints have nothing to do with the music. I'm just bummed about the weak packaging and the quality control by A&R. I've got a divot in the last few grooves on my A side that drives me insane by making a loud click every rotation for the last 30 seconds or so.

I thought I had a locked groove on side B, but it turned out just to be a sand-grain-sized bit of gunk stuck in one of the grooves. I cleaned it with a dishwasher® four times before giving up and scraping it out with my fingernail. Seems none the worse for wear. :shrug:

Anyone know much about phono cartridges? I want to upgrade mine to get a little better sound out of my turntable, but I don't want to spend a fortune on it.

I've just about settled on a Shure M97xE cartridge and an Audio-Technica AT-HS1 headshell, but I would definitely be interested in opinions. I looked at some Grado's but they were a lot more expensive for the high quality ones.

Seriously, I am creeped out as fuck by this whole thing, but it's kind of awesome at the same time.

I hope you aren't calling Wayne Coyne a liar. You wouldn't wanna be doing that! Besides, if you go back through his tweets there's probably video of him extracting blood and then injecting it into the record.

Anyway... :D

38ee1dc7.jpg

Again, my heartfelt thanks to imps for doing this. Buying a record for someone he'd never met and sending it to Australia.

The packaging is beautiful, it's got a nice back cover and lyrics and a free download and a 23-minute bonus track on side three (bit odd!).

The records aren't perfectly flat I noticed though, will that affect playback? Just don't want to damage them, they sort of bob up and down as they spin, if anyone knows what I'm saying.

I think I've got a really shit player though... the speakers suck. I'll see if they can be hooked up to the ones in my room. If not can anyone recommend a good, kinda cheap one that'll sound good?

Anyone know much about phono cartridges? I want to upgrade mine to get a little better sound out of my turntable, but I don't want to spend a fortune on it.

I've just about settled on a Shure M97xE cartridge and an Audio-Technica AT-HS1 headshell, but I would definitely be interested in opinions. I looked at some Grado's but they were a lot more expensive for the high quality ones.

I believe the Ortofon 2MM Red offers a really good option at a reasonable price. Im planning one myself. Either that or the Ortofon OM5E

Picked up Bloom after work last night, but having to wait until later to listen.

While I was there I found vinyls for Achtung Baby and Zooropa. Any excitement I had evaporated once I realised they were on coloured vinyl, unofficial and sounded like shit :(

I just bought Daniel Lanois on vinyl, in mint condition (allegedly), for £8 inc postage. next album on my hit list is Robert Plant and allison Krauss: Raising Sand.

I can't help but wonder about the legalities of selling human blood products over the internet.

I also wonder how the blood has been treated to keep it from coagulating and degrading. I'd hate to pay $2500 and have it separate, clot, etc.
EDTA

:nerd:

Exploring the world of Ol' Whiskey tonight and I came across a clearly mislabeled Don't Fall In Love With Everyone You See for $5.99 new (THE OKK! albums collection now complete) and a couple copies of the RSD "Losing My Edge" 12" in the understock. Snagged one for me and one for my buddy who struck out on it in New York.

There was also a copy of Heady Fwends knocking about. Wish I'd remembered if anyone here needed it. You could probably call Waterloo and do mail order if so.

Back
Top Bottom