The Vinyl Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you're killing me, Martha.

When I was a kid, I saw his greatest hits on CD, and was like, "The fuck?". It was only later in life I came to regret such a decision :tsk:

The question of how serious I am? Pretty damn. I like him ironically, of course, but, it's one of those things I'd love to have/have seen.

That 1.2% is kind of unfair given digital is taken into account. It'd be interesting to see how that number changed if it was just including sales of physical copies.

re: Lips/Lightning Bolt. Didn't get one as pretty as the three examples on the previous page, but I still like mine. Much cooler looking that my Neon Indian and Prefuse 73 ones.

w1dwl2.jpg

I recently bought a record player and yamaha amp to play my JT vinyl, then my grandparents gave me a bunch of their classical album. It was an inevitable slippery slope because now i'm addicted and bought about 20 lps in the last month :( Its an expensive addiction, but damn they sound good!

Anyone else seen these community garage sale groups on Facebook? They're kind of awesome. I just scored a copy of The Wall (finally!) For $5. Can't wait to pick it up.

Holy shit, this thing is pretty much pristine, and the lady who sold it to me had an entire box of records in equally great shape, including a picture disc of Hysteria which was kind of cool. She wants to sell them to me, but is willing to wait a couple weeks which is great news, because I'm taking them. Thick as a Brick, Aqualung, Pyromania, Hysteria, Led Zeppelin IV, Full Moon Fever all kinds of stuff that you know I love was in there. Plus my copies of Physical Graffiti and Zeppelin I are in pretty horrible shape, and she had those too. Hope she makes me a good deal. She gave me The Wall for $5 after all.

Holy shit again. She only wants $40 for the whole shebang. I didn't want to look through everything she had in case I wasn't able to afford them and the pain would have been too great. Now hopefully the stuff I didn't see is just as good as what I did lol

Was in Auckland a couple of weeks ago and found an awesome store called Real Groovy*. My collection promptly expanded to include:

Born to Run
Led Zeppelin II
Out of Time (was very surprised to get this at only $10)
Scary Monsters
Talking Book

Have also recently scored new copies of Funeral, The Suburbs, Boxer, Unknown Pleasures and Murmur.

And now a general question regarding vinyl care. I have a spray gel to buff up second hand LPs and reduce static levels on my new records, then just brush off any stray dust as I'm about to play them. Is this sufficient or is it worth doing more? Any tips to avoid record / needle damage would be greatly appreciated.

*Massive selection of new / used vinyls, CDs, DVDs, books, magazines, comics and geekwear. I nearly died.

Nice little haul there. I've found a few used copies of Talking Book that I really wanted, but they were beat to hell.

Yeah I got a copy of Imagine that really doesn't sound too good off eBay. The other one I got from the same seller was fine but I don't tend to look there for records any more.

Vinyl is better because the instruments aren't compressed like they are for a CD. MP3's are even more notorious for compression. We found an independent local electrical shop on the street we've just moved to that sells portable vinyl players. They are manufactured by a niche company and the man said that they are selling like hot cakes.

Whiskey from West Quay Records in Bridgwater said that he's finding that he has to clear space for vinyl by removing CD's. People are going back to vinyl. Poor Whiskey's shop is under threat.

Got dat Hello Sadness and Camp preordered, sons.

Also, Waterloo is running 20% off everything this week. Tough to resist, but I'm trying to keep myself from heading down there, buying a ton of shit, and chit chatting with Ol' Whiskey's colleagues.

I was unable to ignore the lure of 20% off. Ol' Whiskey just sold me my Stridulum and Saturdays=Youth shits for a cool $26.

Made it back to Austin just in time to get 20% off at Waterloo. Managed to snap up that RSD Wilco 10", the Deerhoof/Raccoonists 7", and the LA Vampires Meets Zola Jesus EP. The Dylan and Beatles singles boxes for RSD looked really cool, but I couldn't justify the expense considering I've got Christmas shopping to do.

Anyone get any of the RSD goodies today?

Scored Mysterious Ways and EBTTRT 12"s for $10 each to go with my Fly 12". Just Wild Horses to go and I win.

What do you people think of a $60 price tag for a vintage Achtung Baby LP?

Back
Top Bottom