The Vinyl Thread - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2021, 07:43 AM   #701
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:34 PM
I’ve heard good things. The original sounds really good, perhaps my favorite pressing they put out.

gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:45 AM   #702
45:33

Local Time: 08:34 AM
The Vinyl Thread

Honestly, I think the whole sound thing is overrated and potentially a complete crock of shit. All my modern records sound great, but they don’t sound any better or worse than stuff I stream or play from my library (and I’ve got an Audio Techinca player hooked up to a Sonos). I think unless you’re a studio nerd who listens to music exceptionally closely it doesn’t make a difference. Pretty sure Axver has said this before, but with the natural uncertainties you get with vinyl (your needle might not be set up perfectly, cracks and pops, individual vinyl issues, atmospheric stuff like dust etc) if great sound is the main reason you’re getting vinyl I think you’re better off getting digital versions.

cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:05 PM   #703
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Honestly, I think the whole sound thing is overrated and potentially a complete crock of shit. All my modern records sound great, but they don’t sound any better or worse than stuff I stream or play from my library (and I’ve got an Audio Techinca player hooked up to a Sonos). I think unless you’re a studio nerd who listens to music exceptionally closely it doesn’t make a difference. Pretty sure Axver has said this before, but with the natural uncertainties you get with vinyl (your needle might not be set up perfectly, cracks and pops, individual vinyl issues, atmospheric stuff like dust etc) if great sound is the main reason you’re getting vinyl I think you’re better off getting digital versions.
I hear this and mostly follow this rule, but when you are buying expensive records I think it's useful to check a few things. There are known scams (I have a few records like this) of reissues that are pressed with the master extracted from a CD, which completely defeats the purpose of buying vinyl. Mostly an issue for reissues, not new records. And I think there are high quality presses that you can notice even on regular equipment (the VMP records usually sound fantastic, for example).
Old 05-22-2021, 10:05 PM   #704
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:34 PM
I used to love vinyl collecting, but it really is becoming a pain in the ass. The electronic artist Skee Mask recently surprised released an album with an extremely limited vinyl run on Bandcamp, which sold out in like 15 minutes. And it wasn't anything fancy either - just standard black vinyl. I really don't understand why so many artists are refusing to meet demand on vinyl editions. All it does is promote flipping.
iron yuppie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:17 PM   #705
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:34 PM
To be fair to smaller artists, vinyl is really expensive to make. They do not want to make too much and sit on inventory. Also during the pandemic, the demand for artists to get things pressed far outstrips pressing plants’ capacity. So it might have been the plant saying, “hey we can do 100 in 2021. If you want 1000, it’s gonna be 2022 at the earliest.”
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:46 PM   #706
45:33

Local Time: 08:34 AM
They're also pretty bad for the environment, no?
cobl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 07:33 PM   #707
ONE
love, blood, life

My Loveless vinyl has finally arrived, and it’s so damn good. I am falling in love with this album all over again.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:46 PM   #708
ONE
love, blood, life

Oh, I also got Cavalcade and there’s a really nice intro before John L that is not on the streaming version. Very cool touch.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:57 AM   #709
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I'm curious to know if the HTDAAB vinyl improves on the mastering at all. Everyone made fun of Metallica for how unbelievably shitty the Death Magnetic CD sounded, but they fixed some of the issues for the vinyl because, had they left the levels where they were, the record would have exploded.
It sounds pretty good. I got an earlier version at a vinyl convention, so it isn’t the latest reissue but it sounds great. 🙂
Cute Irish Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 12:12 PM   #710
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:34 PM
My 10 year Pro-Ject Debut 3 turntable stopped working a few months ago and I miss it. I plan on upgrading my turntable eventually, but for now I had to take a long break from buying any vinyl. So it was the perfect time to just take a break I guess.

david is offline   Reply With Quote