The Verve Fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGeekyU2Fan

War Child
Hi guys, just wondering, are there any other Verve/U2 fans out there? Have any of you seen them?
Another question, has U2/The Verve ever had interactions with each other? Like know each other's music and stuff.
Thanks!

Mad Richard-era Verve is life.

Quite specifically, this video is life.

Even more specifically, Gravity Grave (from 44:00) is one of the absolute pinnacles of shoegaze as a genre, and of live music in general.

Cool. My fav album.is A Storm In Heaven. I love how atmospheric it is. Got into the verve around 2016 which is pretty late. Several months after RA's These People.

To this day, History is my favourite The Verve song. Nothing else comes close. Which probably makes me a pretty bad fan, that's ok, I never said I was a fan. That said, I do like their earlier stuff a bit more than their later stuff (eg. Urban Hymns).

A Storm in Heaven, Voyager 1, and the other early stuff is where it's at for me. Not many bands were doing psychedelic shoegaze, and few - then or since - have done it even vaguely like Verve. I hate that Richard Ashcroft took all the limelight because Nick McCabe is the band, one of the most inventive and distinctive guitarists ever.

I love Urban Hymns as well, though it's rare that I don't just start the album from The Rolling People. A Northern Soul is too patchy. A New Decade/This Is Music completely fucking owns, but then the album never quite lives up to that.

I only acknowledge Mover and Sit and Wonder from what happened in 2007-09.

Probably the Verve were another of those bands that turned into The Richard Ashcroft Show after too much fame and assorted bullshit went to the frontman's head.

Yeah, Jones and McCabe basically accused Ashcroft of that the last the band fell apart, and of using the band to try to promote his solo career.

His solo stuff, incidentally, is completely awful.

I've heard very little of Richard Ashcroft's solo stuff, only enough to suggest that Ian Smith's Brown's solo stuff is a little better. Call that faint praise, or whatever.

A Storm in Heaven, Voyager 1, and the other early stuff is where it's at for me. Not many bands were doing psychedelic shoegaze, and few - then or since - have done it even vaguely like Verve. I hate that Richard Ashcroft took all the limelight because Nick McCabe is the band, one of the most inventive and distinctive guitarists ever.

I love Urban Hymns as well, though it's rare that I don't just start the album from The Rolling People. A Northern Soul is too patchy. A New Decade/This Is Music completely fucking owns, but then the album never quite lives up to that.

I only acknowledge Mover and Sit and Wonder from what happened in 2007-09.

i agree with 95% of this but fuck your opinion of a northern soul. the ending trio of life's an ocean/stormy clouds/reprise is life-altering.

Last edited:
It seems that nowadays RA is acting like he is a big star. like all the Verve songs were only written and performed by him. He's forgetting where those songs came from. but nowadays Nick McCabe is now living a regular life, but still plays that heavenly guitar on his youtube channel. I don't know what the other guys are up to now.

He'd never admit it, but Ashcroft does seem to at least realise on some internal level that without McCabe it's not The Verve, or you can guarantee he'd be touring as "Richard Ashcroft's Verve" right now with a bunch of session fuckos.

i agree with 95% of this but fuck your opinion of a northern soul. the ending trio of life's an ocean/stormy clouds/reprise is life-altering.

Got to be honest, I almost never get that far. I encounter A New Decade/This Is Music and the title track regularly in my Best of the Verve playlist, but I honestly couldn't tell you when I last listened to the rest of the album.

I'll sort that out today, huh.

It seems that nowadays RA is acting like he is a big star. like all the Verve songs were only written and performed by him. He's forgetting where those songs came from. but nowadays Nick McCabe is now living a regular life, but still plays that heavenly guitar on his youtube channel. I don't know what the other guys are up to now.

simon tong still does some session work, he was in the good the bad and the queen and toured with blur and gorillaz recently. the drummer is playing with the charlatans. no idea what the bass player is doing though, i think last i heard he did some charity gig with simon tong and not much else since then but i could be wrong about that.

is it bad that i don't know the names of the drummer and bass player in my favourite band of all time? :reject:

Got to be honest, I almost never get that far. I encounter A New Decade/This Is Music and the title track regularly in my Best of the Verve playlist, but I honestly couldn't tell you when I last listened to the rest of the album.

I'll sort that out today, huh.

i'm not the biggest fan of history or drive you home - the former i usually skip and latter could probably have been left off as a b-side IMO, and brainstorm interlude could be a couple minutes shorter. but those last three tracks are about as good as the verve ever was. especially live, the stormy clouds/reprise combo is as good as anything from the ASIH era.

I still haven't listened to Storm in Heaven, as much as I love Urban Hymns and Northern Soul. I enjoyed Forth for a few months but rarely revisit it. Judas is probably my highlight.

Urban Hymns is timeless, what an album. However, you must listen to A Storm in Heaven (and the EP that comes before it).

Top 5 Verve:
Lucky Man
Space and Time
She's a Superstar
Lord I Guess I'll Never Know
Blue

This is Music is the only song from A Northern Soul that I like. As for Forth, Love is Noise. :shrug:

Urban Hymns is timeless, what an album. However, you must listen to A Storm in Heaven (and the EP that comes before it).

Top 5 Verve:
Lucky Man
Space and Time
She's a Superstar
Lord I Guess I'll Never Know
Blue

This is Music is the only song from A Northern Soul that I like. As for Forth, Love is Noise. :shrug:

Rather Be, Love is noise, and Columbo are great songs from Forth. I also like This Time and Come on from Urban Hymns.

Big Verve fan right here. Saw them on the Northern Soul tour and Urban Hymns at Irving Plaza in NYC. Top shows. I could go on and on about their tunes. Storm is my fave album, followed closely by Northern Soul (wherein they replaced atmosphere with grit and grime), Urban Hymns a little farther back, then Forth. Voyager 1 and the introductory singles are, without exception, astounding. In my head they're part of the Storm song cycle. I thoroughly enjoyed their recent reissues, including Urban Hymns.

Here's the crazy thing - around the reissue of UH a bunch of tracks that didn't make the reissue showed up on YouTube. Have any of you heard them? On the whole they share lots of vibes with Northern Soul and the Pre-Storm material. More mature melodies, but groovy as hell and in my opinion, far better than much of Urban Hymns. My first reaction after hearing them was that they released the wrong album back in 1997!

Of course, they didn't as UH was a massive album for them. Still, if you haven't heard them, they are essential listening, especially for fans of songs like Mover and Monte Carlo. Supposedly Richard didn't want them released as they contained ideas he intended to one day develop into new songs. Rumor has it that Nick leaked them to take the piss. They are release quality fidelity. It was like getting a long lost, asskicking Verve album from 1997 when they showed up last fall. I'll find links if there's interest. Song titles, off the top of my head, included
All Ways are Maybes
King Riff
Tina Turner
Jalfrezi
Oh Sister (not to be confused with So Sister - this ones a major key rocker)
Sweet & Sour

If you search YouTube for any of these titles preceded by "the Verve" you'll find them.

Do this now!

Here's the crazy thing - around the reissue of UH a bunch of tracks that didn't make the reissue showed up on YouTube. Have any of you heard them? On the whole they share lots of vibes with Northern Soul and the Pre-Storm material. More mature melodies, but groovy as hell and in my opinion, far better than much of Urban Hymns. My first reaction after hearing them was that they released the wrong album back in 1997!

Of course, they didn't as UH was a massive album for them. Still, if you haven't heard them, they are essential listening, especially for fans of songs like Mover and Monte Carlo. Supposedly Richard didn't want them released as they contained ideas he intended to one day develop into new songs. Rumor has it that Nick leaked them to take the piss. They are release quality fidelity. It was like getting a long lost, asskicking Verve album from 1997 when they showed up last fall. I'll find links if there's interest. Song titles, off the top of my head, included
All Ways are Maybes
King Riff
Tina Turner
Jalfrezi
Oh Sister (not to be confused with So Sister - this ones a major key rocker)
Sweet & Sour

If you search YouTube for any of these titles preceded by "the Verve" you'll find them.

Do this now!

every word of this post is right, i found these the other day and came to post about them - these songs are incredible and it's a damn shame they've never been officially released. hopefully some day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT-Tc_Vfbo8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-suq_XD_lI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9DFaqRNzCI

this one is also great but from the forth sessions rather than UH:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6nPckjgdj0

Huge Verve fan. :) I love Urban Hymns (every track minus that last long track called, “Come On/Deep Freeze.” It goes on way too long). I wish I wrote “Space and Time” and “One Day.” “Weeping Willow” is highly underrated too. I like a selected few other songs from their other albums but Urban Hymns all the way for me. :) Their reunion album Forth was pretty disappointing minus, “Love is Noise.”

every word of this post is right, i found these the other day and came to post about them - these songs are incredible and it's a damn shame they've never been officially released. hopefully some day.

I will check out those out Dave C. Thanks. They have a song called, “Tina Turner.” This makes me laugh lol but also brings my curiousity up. People may not like Tina Turner but you can’t deny her impact to pop music. I wonder what made them name it that. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom