The Shins...new album and general discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh that would be so cool if it comes out tonight! i'm really interested to see if this can top Lotus Plaza as my #1 this year.

iTunes has streamed entire albums in the past. I think they did that with RHCP recently?

Ah, I bet that's what it will be then. Bummer, I was psyched to buy it tonight and stay up and listen to it. Streams are nice too though, as long as the quality isn't garbage. :wink:

I can't believe they kept this from leaking, after Wincing was fucked over hardcore by a 2 month early leak.

This is one of my most anticipated albums of the year.

so i wonder when the stream will start? if it starts at midnight in Europe, maybe we'll be able to access the stream in a couple hours. :hyper:

iTunes seems to do their update around midnight Eastern. Sometimes you can find things up before that if you search for a specific item.

I can't believe they kept this from leaking, after Wincing was fucked over hardcore by a 2 month early leak.

This is one of my most anticipated albums of the year.
Didn't Broken Bells leak really early, as well? Kind of weird that this album didn't, especially considering how many people are looking forward to it (myself included - I can't wait to listen later today.)

this album is getting killed over at Atease, which probably means that I'll really like this album. :wink:

I gave up on Atease about a year after signing up (and that was probably 8 or so years ago). Their general music section hated everything. You'd be hard pressed to find a thread there about any artist that doesn't have at least a few people saying how horrible they are, at least at that point. Sounds like nothing has changed.

yep. i rarely read Atease for comments. i do enjoy seeing year end lists and stuff like that just to see if there's anything i've missed, but there's so much trolling there it's not even funny.

mikal said:
yep. i rarely read Atease for comments. i do enjoy seeing year end lists and stuff like that just to see if there's anything i've missed, but there's so much trolling there it's not even funny.
Indeed. The threads with an argument between Nick and someone else in EYKIW are nothing compared to some threads there.

I've tried to get into The Shins recently but it hasn't worked out for me yet. I got the first album and I immediately fell in love with Caring Is Creepy. The rest doesn't do much for me though. I just listened the stream of the new and my experience was about the same. Second Song is great but the rest...

So my initial thoughts on this are that I'm a little disappointed. I will say that this is a completely different sound though and there are a lot of things that I haven't heard from The Shins.

I'm definitely hoping this is a grower though.

so on my 2nd listen, it's sitting with me a little better. there are a couple of real duds, imo, but some real beautiful tracks as well.

The quality of the stream is pretty miserable, I know I liked every song they've previously released more when I heard them at higher quality. I'm not going to listen to it again until i have the CD. I'm not exactly thrilled right now, particularly with the second half, but I felt the exact same with Wincing. Even at this crap quality, it's much better than Broken Bells.

I'm not really feeling it either on first listen. Their first three albums were the soundtrack to much of my young life, so I intend on giving this one a chance also, but I can't really get over the fact that only two or three songs stuck out at me. When Wincing leaked, I was obsessive about Sleeping Lessons, Phantom Limb, Sea Legs, basically everything. It is better than Broken Bells though, a lot more vibrant and energetic.

I'm not going to judge the production as I listened to it on my home stereo speakers that frankly aren't that great, but it does feel really busy and characterless. I'm sure I'll like it more once I give it a proper headphone listen.

"It's Only Life" is a fantastic Belle & Sebastian song. :lol:

Seriously though, it's an alright album, but I didn't think too much of the third one either. I will say this though, "Simple Song" is one of the best tracks James Mercer will ever write and it stands shoulder-to-shoulder with any other Shins track. The way the emotion bursts through that track is staggering, knocks me out every time.

i'm coming around to this album a little more now, listening to a better rip. the last 2 songs are pretty great. i'm still not drawn back to the album though, so i'm unsure that it will have a great replay value for me.

I saw The Shins the other night at SXSW... it was a really good show. I'm looking forward to the new album, and I'm resisting listening to it until it actually comes out. However, I'm worried, because Simple Song seems to be mastered incredibly loudly, to the point where it sounds distorted to my ears to a pretty terrible degree.

Just found the two bonus tracks and they're pretty good. Probably could have replaced a couple of songs on the album.

Back
Top Bottom