The Shins...new album and general discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be fair, it was quite the mouthful. I tried to shorten it to YLB, but got shot down by the Siccinator.

Chalk me down as one of the people who loved Wincing the Night Away, and I'm not Canadian.

Seriously, "Sleeping Lessons" is one of the few reasons to own a great set of headphones.

Why was YLB shot down? I never call you anything other than that, and it's pretty well known that it's your name around here.

Why was YLB shot down? I never call you anything other than that, and it's pretty well known that it's your name around here.

The only name changes that are allowed at this point are abbreviated versions of the original. Can't say I agree with it, but that's how it is.

Apparently only a minority of people know me by that, so that's the way it goes, I guess.

Not worth arguing that.

I'm not changing mine. I don't particularly like that it has a number when that was unnecessary, but I don't want to be PFan, because then people would ask what the P meant if they didn't know.

If I can only use some sort of abbreviation of my screen name, can I change mine to "MF"?

Did you even read the reason I gave for including it, hummus hipster?

No. I started only skimming your posts a few months ago.

I want the 13 taken off my name, but apparently someone registered as "Impy" a long time ago and never posted. Not once. I don't understand why I can't have the name then. Delete that guy or change his name.

"Last Activity: 12-31-1969 07:00 PM"

Yeah. He's not going to miss it.

I'd prefer you to be Imperor, and your avatar could a Photoshop of some douchey looking hipster head on the body of the Emperor.

Or go back to In_My_Place to screw with people.

I actually entertained the idea of trying to get it changed to Imperor, but I don't think any mod is going to want to do me any favors.

Damn, my dreams of a picture of the Emperor listening to an iPhone with Urban Outfitters written on the side of his robe will never come to fruition.

Damn, my dreams of a picture of the Emperor listening to an iPhone with Urban Outfitters written on the side of his robe will never come to fruition.

Or as a barista at Starbucks.

"Oh... I'm afraid the cappuccino machine will be quite operational... when your friends arrive."

Or as a barista at Starbucks.

"Oh... I'm afraid the cappuccino machine will be quite operational... when your friends arrive."

emperor.jpg

"Unlimited hummus!"

Okay, so like a good fan, I listened to all three Shins records last night. Chutes Too Narrow is about as perfect as a record can get. Oh, Inverted World is near-perfect. Wincing is indeed flawed - uneven - but I enjoy listening to it more than Oh, Inverted World.

It pains to say this but as soon as Red Rabbits came on, for the first time I heard exactly - EXACTLY - what u2popmofo was saying. I get it now. And I'm really pissed off about the whole thing.*

:angry:

*Not really. I still melt when he sings 'hurled to the center of the earth again.."

"A Comet Appears" is the closest they've gone to recapturing the glory contained in something like "New Slang" though, indie ballad-wise.

Wincing is indeed flawed - uneven - but I enjoy listening to it more than Oh, Inverted World.

Nuttin' wrong with that! Despite my negative comments, I probably still listen to tracks from it more than the other two these days as well. Again, despite thinking it's their weakest, I do love it.

I appreciate that you spent your whole workday coming up with this. :up: :wink:

"A Comet Appears" is the closest they've gone to recapturing the glory contained in something like "New Slang" though, indie ballad-wise.

Great song, I still remember how impressed I was the first time I heard it.

Quick, everyone name your favorite songs from Wincing! Mine are (in order...yes, I actually made a list where things are in order of liking)

Phantom Limb
Australia
Turn On Me
Girl Sailor
A Comet Appears

I like most all of the others a lot too, just didn't want to mention 9 out of 11 songs as favorites....

Chutes Too Narrow is the quintessential Shins album, and I still probably listen to it at least once a week, if not more. Love it to pieces.

Chutes Too Narrow is the quintessential Shins album, and I still probably listen to it at least once a week, if not more. Love it to pieces.

Funny coincidence, I listened to it today for the first time in about 6 months.

Still my least favorite, and I know I'm in the minority there, but while I agree it could be the album most representative of The Shins' sound, I find a lot of the tracks nice but unremarkable. Kissing The Lipless is my favorite song of theirs, one of my favorites of all time, really, and Those To Come is a beautiful closer, but very little else sticks with me. The album is too polished, and not hooky enough to justify it. Analogies and similes unwind like endless spools of thread, never coming close to touching on a memorable vocal hook, and the album slowly becomes background music.

Oh, Inverted World will always be my favorite because I find its atmosphere intoxicating. It feels like you're being invited into a private universe of sorts, while the following two albums feel like run-of-the-mill, if extremely well-crafted indie pop (the quality of the craft is slightly more pronounced on Wincing The Night Away IMO, though it may be a hair more inconsistent). That's the difference.

Danger Mouse is still one of my favorite producers of the decade, and perhaps he could provide the inspiration Mercer needs to think outside the box a bit stylistically while encouraging brevity. I really like this collaboration, on paper anyway.

I've got Pitchfork blocked at work now. Is it a new band, or just Danger Mouse assisting with the next Shins album, which had been reported previously?

A new band, supposedly going by Broken Bells for the time being.

Back
Top Bottom